PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone's anxiety symptoms turn out to be caused by a physical illness?

cjemc
25-08-16, 13:48
I was just wondering out of the hundreds of people who post on here.
What ratio went to GP/hospital/consultants, etc with very worrying symptoms which turned out to be the cause of a physical disorder/illness?
And what ration went and nothing was found to be physically wrong?

.Poppy.
25-08-16, 17:12
I didn't post about it, but I had a problem with my right ear for the past few weeks. When I'd turn my head to the side I'd hear a popping noise...kind of like there was water in there. Often I'd hear sort of a hollow echo. Yesterday morning I woke up and it just HURT.

Of course I convinced myself that something sinister was going on, but at the same time I tried to tell myself that no, it was going to be fine. Mentally I was thinking I'd go to the doctor and they'd find something and I'd be "gone" fast. But I also thought, "what if this is just anxiety"?

Anyway, when the pain came I decided to go in. They looked in my ear and determined I had a wax blockage. The nurse cleaned me out with warm water - and it actually HURT to do so because it was so packed in - and all these (pardon the TMI) hard, bloody clumps came out. It was so gross.

But afterward I felt better and....no more pain, fullness, hollow sounds, or popping noises!!

So yes, there was something physically wrong with me but it was super simple, easy to fix, and I feel much better now. :)

skymaid
25-08-16, 17:14
my tests showed how annoyingly physically healthy and fit I am. (yet I feel crap every day)

id rather I had a nice simple broken leg. I really would.

Fishmanpa
25-08-16, 18:31
I've posted this several times. In the few years I've been participating on the boards and of the tens of thousands of fears I've read here, I know of two that actually realized their fear. Both dealt with it, faced it head on and are doing fine. In fact, their anxiety took a back seat and has stayed there!

The fact is, anxiety sufferers get sick just like everyone else. The difference is dealing the prospects as opposed to the real thing. Many make themselves more sick with worry than an actual illness would do to them!

Positive thoughts

NoPoet
25-08-16, 19:45
I just read today that research is beginning into the link between inflammatory illness and depression. But yes, I wholeheartedly believe that in everyone's (or almost everyone's) case, physical illness certainly interacts with mental health. Think about how low you feel when you've got flu or a stomach bug, or if you broke your leg and couldn't walk for six months. That's a basic example and yet it's also the perfect example.