PDA

View Full Version : What is next for me?

TheMadOladCoger
25-08-16, 14:52
Hello,

I hope everyone is well!

I have been having a major issue over recent weeks/months I'm stuck in an endless loop of worrying about my future. I know I shouldn't be worrying about something that I can't control but I can't stop. Since finishing my second year at University (in a subject I know longer really love like I once did) I have been searching both in my own mind and other places and have found a path I would like to take. The path of Teaching, I know its hard work and never going to be easy but I feel as if it would give me both a purpose and a life I could be happy with. My University offers a something called a Graduate Teaching Assistant Role, this role is something I have set my sights on as it would be perfect for me a nice way to ease me in, learn and get paid at the same time. However, its competitive to a point of stupidity, I don't feel as if I am good enough or that I even know how to go about making myself a better candidate than the person next too me.

I was hoping that someone would have some advice on what I should do? Where do I go next? has anyone else been in a position like I currently am? My future seems hopeless to me as I see know way that I will succeed in this and its killing me a inside a little everyday.

Peace

Fishmanpa
25-08-16, 15:09
All I'll say is pursue what you feel will make you happy. Read my signature. Part of it says "Enjoy the work you do". This to me is part of the key to being happy.

I always told my children this and now, my son, who loves to travel and see the world, has been working for the airlines for several years and absolutely loves it! My daughter, who has struggled with depression and anxiety, is pursuing her love of children with a teaching degree in early childhood education and graduates this year.

Again, the best advice I can give you is what's in my signature. "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Positive thoughts

skymaid
25-08-16, 15:12
I love the work I do so much it gave me a breakdown though lol

everything in moderation.

PunkyFish
25-08-16, 18:24
Hello,

I hope everyone is well!

I have been having a major issue over recent weeks/months I'm stuck in an endless loop of worrying about my future. I know I shouldn't be worrying about something that I can't control but I can't stop. Since finishing my second year at University (in a subject I know longer really love like I once did) I have been searching both in my own mind and other places and have found a path I would like to take. The path of Teaching, I know its hard work and never going to be easy but I feel as if it would give me both a purpose and a life I could be happy with. My University offers a something called a Graduate Teaching Assistant Role, this role is something I have set my sights on as it would be perfect for me a nice way to ease me in, learn and get paid at the same time. However, its competitive to a point of stupidity, I don't feel as if I am good enough or that I even know how to go about making myself a better candidate than the person next too me.

I was hoping that someone would have some advice on what I should do? Where do I go next? has anyone else been in a position like I currently am? My future seems hopeless to me as I see know way that I will succeed in this and its killing me a inside a little everyday.

H

Peace

Hi :)

I know exactly where you come from! I graduated from University with a degree which in my first year I loved and wanted to do as a job for the rest of my life but by the third year I had got to a point where I bloody hated it! Since then I've been stuck ever since in a dead end office job where I've spent the last few years worrying about how much I hate my job and what to do about my future! and to be honest I still have no idea what I want to do!

However at the moment I also have anxiety which at the moment is bad and I'm having difficultly to know what the future has in store for me career wise. If the graduate teaching assistant seems like something you would like to do I would say apply for it as you will regret it if you don't. I've had a few good opportunities offered to me over the years but stupidly turned them down due to anxiety.

I now feel that sometimes you have to live in the now. There's no harm in planning the future although your future plans can always change! You don't have to make a definate commitment to which career of sort of life you want to pursue right now! If your worrying is getting out of control I would suggest going to your GP or your University student support. You are not alone and there is so much help out there whether its medication, talking therapies and so forth. Have you thought about doing a post graduate teaching course or Teach First? a post graduate teaching course would really help ease you into teaching. Have you been to your Universiy careers service they can help you decide which route to take and if you're still unsure then take some time out of deciding what career you would like to take and concentrate on your next year at University.

All the best. :)