PDA

View Full Version : dont know wat to do anymore

tricia56
26-08-16, 11:06
For the past few weeks I've been waking up with panic attacks I've been foning my doctors up everyday been to see them about 6 times in the past 2weeks because of the way im feeling I just don't know wat to do anymore im waiting for therapy im too petrified to take meds every morning wake up my mind racing I feel as if I cant breathe properly im geting missed heart beats palpations , I've never been this bad with my anxiety I feel im going crazy all the time I don't know wat to do I don't want to keep feeling like this anymore , I just don't know why I've been like this the past few weeks , sorry to post but I have noone else to talk to.

Shazamataz
26-08-16, 11:26
Hi Tricia,

Things sound really bad for you right now, sorry to hear that. I was in a similar place a few months back but doing a bit better now.

Is there any reason you don't want to take medication? Other than being afraid? What did the doctor suggest? Maybe something short term so you can get some relief?

The only advice I can give is to try some sort of medication as things can just continue to spiral and therapy isn't very helpful when anxiety levels are so very high.

Others may have some alternative ideas.

Hugs

swgrl09
26-08-16, 11:27
What does your doctor suggest when you call/go in to see them? I know meds can be scary, and I'm not one to push them, but it sounds like you could use something to take the edge off while you wait for therapy. I mean think of it this way - it really doesn't sound like they could make you feel worse than you feel now, so what have you got to lose?

Mercime
26-08-16, 11:36
Tricia, I've seen the debate about you and meds on here before, so I won't get into that X But, if you want things to change, it has to be you that makes the first move. Staying in the same rut, doing the same things won't help you at all - and it doesn't matter how long someone has suffered anxiety, it can still be tackled. But that has to come from you, you need to set small personal challenges for yourself.

Information is great, there's plenty on this site, and elsewhere. Find out how anxiety affects the body, what a panic attack really is, change your routine. Put space aside each day to do something, anything, that will move your mind away from thinking of how bad it all is. I'm not trivialising your feelings at all, as I have been there myself, but we need to take responsibility for how we act and react.
Often the best results happen when we are at our most frightened, and we challenge that fear by ignoring it and doing something else. It's ok to be scared sh*tless, it won't hurt you - but if you want it to go, you need to do something about it.

Read, or a crossword, or a film, bath with bubbles and candles, bake, sew..your choice. Devote an hour today to you, and sod the anxiety. Let us know how you get on! Xx

georgewing
26-08-16, 15:39
I know how bad its for you but try at least to take your meds if you cant take you meds the doctor cannot help you

skymaid
26-08-16, 15:46
im getting the same kind of thing as you tricia although by the sounds of it not quite as bad.

the only relief I have so far IS medication. (in my case diazepam on an emergency/big panic attsck basis). ive started a cbt course but the therapist is on holiday for 2 weeks so I dont have much else to help.

im emetophobic(vomit) so I cant take the normal meds either. diazepam is fairly safe but its it has it own pitfalls too which scare me (addiction/withdrawal)

tricia56
27-08-16, 13:34
Thk you all for replying back to me I am very grateful for all your advice you give me , I went to see my gp yesterday I had a good check up with her had a ecg blood pressure etc checked and having bloods done, we spoke about trying to take meds as like like a few of you have said if I don't take meds my gp cannot help me but I broke down talking to her because I'm so afraid of taking them as i really don't want to take them and feel that because people on here my gp thinks i don't want to help myself and that I'm being forced to take them just to prove to them all that i am helping myself ,but i do try to help myself but on bad days i don't cope very well, i am afraid of the side effects andwat they can do to you etc but i don't think my gp or anyone else understands how fearful i am of them.i may be wrong but i just think that taking antidepressants is the only answer for some one to help them selves as my gp keeps saying if you take the pills it will stop me seeing or foning her so much and stop me worring so much maybe she is right i don't know, i just feel i i don't want to feel emotionally numb and not care about anything as I've read that's wat they can to to you,I want to feel in control of my mind if that makes sence even if I do feel anxiouse scared sometimes and not to rely on a pill to make me feel better as I know deep down its only me that can help myself and change and I have to do the hard work and it will take time and just feel that I need a little help of someone to help and show me they way to do that I.e therapy or something . I know I've had cbt before in the past with IAPT but but they were only short sessions but I'm waiting for the mental health therapy which I've been told that they are different and are over a longer period so I'm hoping that is the case and this time round it will help me cope and mange the anxiety better. Sorry for such a long post I just wanted to explain how I feel .

KeeKee
27-08-16, 13:56
I understand your frustration with medication.

I hate to be the odd one out here, but back in 2008 I was under lots of pressure to take antidepressants. I was told I wasn't trying to help myself etc, people kept asking if I'd just try them. Anyway I took them for almost 6 years. They made all my emotions blunt, that included depression but also meant I completely lost my sense of humour. I gained lots of weight (when not on meds I don't gain weight no matter how much I indulge) and it was all too much for me and I quit them cold turkey on April '14. I actually developed anxiety whilst taking Fluoxetine.

I wake up every single day and regret having ever taken antidepressants. They have changed my body, my mind and since coming off them my depression has returned (although it was always there I just didn't give a crap) but so has my sense of humour and my ability to feel like a human.

I would take feeling horrible every single second of every single day, over going back on antidepressants and being fat, tired and lacking emotion and sex drive (which affected my relationship quite badly).

What I'm basically saying is do not let people decide what is best for you. You know yourself, can you live with the decision should it make things worse? Likewise what if in 10 years time you do take antidepressants and wish you had taken them sooner? You will see that 10 years as a waste.

We can all give you our experiences but none of us know what is best for anybody as some people take to meds, some don't. The same with certain types of therapy.

I will say though, that Propranolol was a godsend to me during my first few months of anxiety. I believe they are the reason I didn't have panic attacks past the first week of my anxiety.

Why not Google antidepressants and weigh up the pros and cons? You could always give yourself say 4-6 months to try them and then come off if you don't feel they have helped.

tricia56
27-08-16, 14:37
Thk you keekee so much I will have a read about them but doubt I will change my mind about taking them as like you said only I know wats best for me at the moment, maybe if I stop posting on here then I wont feel as if people on here are judging me and don't want to reply to me because they feel I'm not helping myself and not beat myself up over it.

Mercime
27-08-16, 15:51
Who's judging you Tricia! Nobody on this thread, that's for sure. It's your call if you want to stop posting, as you say, you know what's best for you. I wrote my reply without mentioning meds because you are determined not to take them - totally up to you, if your mind is made up, then there's no point in going over old ground.

But there are other things that can be done, as I mentioned in my post - these things will have an effect on your anxiety. I don't think anyone has an issue with you posting, but you must expect honest answers? You asked "don't know what to do anymore" - you've had suggestions on what you can do. Meds or no meds, therapy etc..they all require you to make some changes to move forward. That's the part that's up to you xx

tricia56
27-08-16, 19:31
Sorry mercime I f I've offended u or anyone else on this thread I wasn't getting at anyone off this thread at all I was trying to explain myself how I feel about meds and the reasons why so that fellow members are aware that's all , I have felt a few times I have been judged on here regarding not helping myself, yes I did ask the question I don't know wat to do anymore because I wanted to talk to someone how I was feeling and maybe get some honest advice on how to move forward and I exepted the advice I was given and took it on board, so I'd like to apologise once again if anyone felt I was saying that they were judging me. I would just like to say thank you to everyone for their kindness and support they have gave me over the past few yrs on here as I think its time for me leave this site now as its not like how it used to be.

Magic
27-08-16, 20:08
I am so sorry you are leaving tricia. You have not offended anyone.
I know how you feel about taking tablets. I think you should have a go with them.
I did. I did not like them at first, but after a while I felt that a big burden had been taken from my shoulders and I felt great.
It's up to you of course. I hope you will find something to help you to cope.:hugs:

Carnation
27-08-16, 22:45
Tricia, you don't have to take meds to feel better or recover.

There are other options. x

Meds tend to help people cope, it does not necessarily cure you.

I myself have a phobia and did not choose that route.

Mercime is right. You DO have to start diverting your mind and thoughts on to concentrating on something else; even if you still feel the symptoms, you just push through them while you are reading/drawing/gardening/sewing etc.

No matter how bad you feel, it is only fear. Although a powerful feeling, but you have become over sensitised and living your life everyday through fear.

You need to divert your thoughts in to other things and keep telling yourself that you are in control and accept the symptoms as anxiety, understand why it is happening and brush them aside and carry on with whatever you are doing. Honestly, it is just that.

You don't need to leave, you are not bothering anyone and you need support while you like this. x

Mercime
27-08-16, 23:40
Tricia, I'm at a loss here, honestly. You haven't offended anyone, why would you think that? I didn't talk about meds because it's been said so many times, people almost pleading with you to try, which I think is wrong - it should be up to you, your responsibility.

But as for the rest, it's true - you do have to be the one that makes changes, nobody can possibly do that for you. You've written this site isn't how it used to be. I can't comment on that but I do know that everyone that has answered has tried to help, and I'm not sure what you mean by your comment. Again it's up to you if want to leave but if you do, it won't make any difference to your levels of anxiety. It might not be what you want to hear, I honestly don't know, but what has been written (by Carnation too) is true, you have to be willing to try to make changes and do things differently.

If you're not willing to try, then things won't change unfortunately - but that's up to you. If you do decide to go, I wish you well for the future.

swgrl09
28-08-16, 03:36
I apologize for mentioning the meds, didn't realize it was something you had already discussed a lot. It is definitely a personal decision and there is plenty you can do without meds to improve. :hugs: