PDA

View Full Version : Are these panic attacks?

W.I.F.T.S.
24-03-07, 13:39
As a rule, with panic attacks you may feel lie you're going to pass out, die, go mad or have a fit, but it's all bluff...these things DON'T happen. However, my mum, whose prone to anxiety, had one of her 'episodes' the other day where she felt like she was reall hot and needed to get out of the place she was in. She ran outside, where she immediately passed out. I wasn't there, but I'm told that her hands were locked really tight and she was 'convulsing', unconscious, but squirming around and hitting her head. She had been under quite a bit of stress previously.

She used to suffer from these 'attacks' pretty badly years and years ago and when she went to the doctor, he said that it wasn't a 'fit' unless she bit her tongue or wet herself. She also went to a phobics self-help group and they promised that phobics never do actually pass out, although she does....so she stopped going.

Her attacks must be stress/anxiety-related, but are they actually panic attacks or something else?

An ex-girlfriend of mine used to suffer from 'panic attacks' and she'd lose consciousness too and start talking jibberish about grass and lemonade. She also had a mental block and couldn't talk for about 4 or 5 days and on another occasion, she had a mental block where she lost the use of her legs for a few hours?

Are these panic attacks? They're certainly caused by anxiety, but they don't fit in with what I understand panic and anxiety attacks to be, being a chronic sufferer myself.

Dianepine
24-03-07, 19:05
Hi, I think I know where you are coming from. I used to suffer from fits as a child and early teens the general rule is when you fit you lose control of bladder, bowel. Also with seizers you whole body tens to ridge with a white possibley blood stained froth from the mouth with this the jaw will lock.

Being an anxiety suffer myself I get the dizzy feelings that i belive is a sign of me going to fit, I have fallen to the floor on the once ( 2 weeks ago ) I saw the doctor and he said the same as your mums doctor that it was anixety related.

I really hope this helps you.

Diane xx

ps - Anxiety can show its self in many different forms - chin up!