PDA

View Full Version : Lump on neck - hyoid bone?

Sparkling_Fairy
26-08-16, 19:26
Hi all,

So for the past few months (can't remember how long) I'e felt a lump on my neck where my hyoid bone would be located.
I know my hyoid bone is there and I've seen posts here before where people said it's probably that.

But does the hyoid bone really feel like a lump? It feels like a proper outsticking lump that's in that place.

I will point out that I have a pretty bad case of forward head posture. I also have a huge ball in my neck which is my spine curving. So I wonder if that also makes the hyoid bone more pronounced in the front.

I'm just freaking out a little bit.
So any information would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sparkling_Fairy
03-09-16, 20:20
Just bumping this up, 'cause I'm still worried about this a little.
I've seen posts on here before of people feeling a lump to one side of their neck and then find out it's the hyoid bone.

But really, mine is smack bang in the middle.

Just wondering if anyone feels the same thing.

Fishmanpa
03-09-16, 20:37
There's a saying... "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...."

Positive thoughts

Sparkling_Fairy
03-09-16, 20:41
True! I just don't know if it does look like a duck.
From all the images I've seen of a Hyoid bone, it doesn't look like it protrudes that much!

Just wondering if it feels the same for other people.

swgrl09
03-09-16, 20:56
I was terrified when I first found my hyoid bone. I can't tell you for sure if that is what you are feeling, but can understand how freaky it feels!

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

mine seemed to stick out more on one side too

Sparkling_Fairy
03-09-16, 21:00
Thanks for the reply!

Mine doesn't stick out on either side, just at the front. But I did hear that it can shift if you have forward head posture. Urgh, I'm not usually a HA sufferer. And I'm not in a panic about it. The fact that I first noticed it in April and it hasn't changed makes me not too concerned. But there's always that worry in the back of my head

Sparkling_Fairy
11-09-16, 20:28
Well I feel like a loser!

I went to my GP about this. I figured I had to go in November anyway to get a prescription renewed, so I might as well go now since I'm worried about this.
She gave me this look of: girl, are you kidding me? I love my doctor! She's very blunt.
She said: it's your adam's apple. I said: I thought they were only prominent in men. And she said yes, and in skinny women. You lost a lot of weight after your anxiety last year, so your fat cushions in your neck are gone. You probably just feel it now.

She referred me for an ultrasound anyway to put my mind at ease. But she's convinced it's just my adam's apple. And she said I had nothing else swollen in my neck.

I then told my mom about it and she was like: why didn't you just ask me? I have the exact same thing in the same spot. She's also skinny.
So I feel like a total idiot now for even going to the GP about this.
And it's weird, because I'm not a health anxiety person. I have more general anxiety that comes in phases, not even constant. I don't know why I latched on to this. I hope it stays with this one thing