PDA

View Full Version : Keep straining to pass wind even when there's sometimes nothing there :(

Lockey1995
26-08-16, 19:55
Hey,

Been dealing with heavy anxiety, thoughts this year it's just absolutely sky rocketed for some unknown reason I'm currently in cbt and done 2 sessions waiting on 3rd but it wont be till the 29 sep as he's busy :(.

I've learnt bits and trying some breathing exercises he gave me some breathing exercises to do like breath in 5 seconds then breath out for 11 and count in your head having trouble counting at the same time :(

the main annoying thing i do atm and can't stop is keep straining to pass wind even when there's nothing there sometimes and can't stop doing it I'm scared I'm going to injure my self if i keep doing it I'm doing it for about 3 seconds each time.

I'm worried incase it's possible to push something into my appendix and get appendicitis :( But apparently according to the ha forum on here they say it's not but i don't know.

I just don't know how to stop this :(

skymaid
26-08-16, 20:14
theoretically you could give yourself a hernia if you really kept straining but thats highly unlikely. but it wont do anything to your appendix. you can do squats/crunchedls etc in the gym without hurting your bowel. its very tough.

but why do you need to push or strain? just let it out when its ready (if apprioprate)

Bigboyuk
26-08-16, 20:41
I agree with Skymaid you will know when you want to go!! Sure it's not easy when you have OCD but if theres nothing there no amount of straining will help Eat a tin of baked beans then you will know! the gym tips sounds a good starting point too :)

Phuzella
26-08-16, 20:50
Every time you want to do it just say stop loudly to yourself

Lockey1995
26-08-16, 20:53
I do need to focus on a goal or something to take my mind of things and start focusing on something other than anxiety

Phuzella
26-08-16, 21:03
Very true. Do you have any goals?

Lockey1995
26-08-16, 21:53
I worry because I don't know what to do in my life when I'm a bit older 20 now :( I'm stuck in a job i don't like atm that's probably causing some of it.

Yeah one restore a classic car trying to find one, want a project to work on :)

Phuzella
26-08-16, 21:56
Sounds life a brilliant goal. What are you doing to find a car? Do you know a lot about cars?

Lockey1995
26-08-16, 22:52
Yeah bits that's why i want to learn I would like to do something with cars but can't decide what career in it to persue :(

Lockey1995
27-08-16, 21:22
theoretically you could give yourself a hernia if you really kept straining but thats highly unlikely. but it wont do anything to your appendix. you can do squats/crunchedls etc in the gym without hurting your bowel. its very tough.

but why do you need to push or strain? just let it out when its ready (if apprioprate)

I don't know i just keep doing it every now and then like a habit :(. I thought you could as appendicitis happens when something gets lodged in there so I thought obviously straining/ pushing moves things through your colon so I thought you could push something in there.

Fishmanpa
28-08-16, 03:34
Just be careful... pushing too hard to fart can lead to "Sharting" :ohmy:

Positive thoughts and poo threads

hanshan
28-08-16, 08:59
We don't have any conscious control over the length of our colon, and to my knowledge all the straining in the world will have nil effect on movement through the colon. Some people recommend something warm like a hot-water bottle wrapped in cloth to relax cramped muscles.

We don't even have conscious control over most of the very last part, the rectum, and emptying it is quite complex depending on whether it is filled with gas or solid - some muscles need to contract and others relax at just the right time.

We do have conscious control over the muscles in the abdominal wall and around the anus, and can help the process along with some gentle pressure, but that will only work if the rectum is full and ready to empty.

And as posters above have said, anything more than gentle pressure at the appropriate time can have unfortunate consequences.

Lockey1995
29-08-16, 01:33
We don't have any conscious control over the length of our colon, and to my knowledge all the straining in the world will have nil effect on movement through the colon. Some people recommend something warm like a hot-water bottle wrapped in cloth to relax cramped muscles.

We don't even have conscious control over most of the very last part, the rectum, and emptying it is quite complex depending on whether it is filled with gas or solid - some muscles need to contract and others relax at just the right time.

We do have conscious control over the muscles in the abdominal wall and around the anus, and can help the process along with some gentle pressure, but that will only work if the rectum is full and ready to empty.

And as posters above have said, anything more than gentle pressure at the appropriate time can have unfortunate consequences.

Consequences such as?

hanshan
29-08-16, 13:45
Read posts by skymaid and Fishmanpa.