PDA

View Full Version : finger twitch

Claire09
24-03-07, 17:36
Sorry to annoy you again, this will be last time. Im just really concerened about my twitch its really bad and you can see the muscles moving and also the finger, it always happens on the same place in between the thumb and index finger and them the index finger moves as well I believe the medical term for the area is 1st dorsal interosseous. Anway I made the mistake of looking it up on google as it is really annoying it happens about 20 times a day. On loads of sites I looked at they sdaid it was the first sign of MND or ALS now im besides myself with worry Ive went from the cancer worry to this, but the thing is this sympton is real as people can see it as it really pulsates and moves my finger. do you think I should be asking for further tests never thought I would have to worry abou this but now so scared as also have the weakness in legs and arms. Im 35yrs of age .

Thanks so much for your replies

Claire

RLR
25-03-07, 18:25
Okay, it's reaching a great deal to read symptoms on the Internet and assume that what you are experiencing is identical.

Also, I'm uncertain where you're obtaining your information, but several clarifications need to be identified here. First of all, the web-space between the thumb and index becomes severely atrophied in ALS and MND patients, generall more pronounced with limb-onset versus bulbar-onset, whereas the "twitching" you refer to is known as fasciculation and doesn't actually occur in one localized spot but actually all along the nerves of the entire limb such that they can either be observed spontanously or made visible through percussion of the skin tissues with a reflex hammer. Lastly, the fasciculations are not intermittent but rather constant and represent increasing loss of communication between the nerves and tissues. That's because ALS/MND is a gross degenerative disease of the nerves and it doesn't happen in isolation from other symptoms.

The single greatest error made by persons in reading medical information is that they make general assumptions in the absence of necessary medical information to understand "why" symptoms occur. They also make these assumptions in the direct absence of having observed patients with the actual disease to be able to discern a clear difference in benign versus pathological symptoms. It may interest you to know that many medical students undergo a phase of medical student syndrome during their training because they are exposed to illness on daily basis. They develop a misconception that disease in general is proliferent and begin measuring patient symptoms against their own, becoming fearful that they have contracted the diseases they are treating. It passes with time.

It's important not to try and make illogical assumptions and in the absence of medical training, it's unwarranted to attempt self-comparisons. While it's certainly prudent to educate yourself, even encouraged, you must take care not to become convinced that you understand the implications of disease symptoms without knowing the intimate details.

You'll be fine.

Claire09
27-03-07, 19:07
Thanks RLR for your reply it has really helped. This is a really good idea and you have made me feel less anxious I seem to worry things are always something sinister and sometimes look for too much information and misinterpet it. Ive been thinking about this finger twitch and I have used the computer a lot since my cancer diagnosis looking on sites and always have my wrist bent so i could have damaged the nerve also my twitch is quite strong and moves the limb and even though i think I got weakness it cant be real weakness as I can still lift my baby, drive and do every thing else just my arms and legs feel heavy shaky and tired. So Im going to be positive and want to thank you again for your sound advice.

Much appreciated from a very anxious person

Claire