PDA

View Full Version : Brain tumour worries are back....

oceanscape
27-08-16, 12:58
Hi everyone

I posted here nearly a year ago. I had symptoms of headaches, twitching left eye, neck pain, "weak" feeling in left arm/hand and a feeling of nausea/dizziness/being "spaced out".

I had a brain and spine MRI which were clear. The doctor thought it was tight muscles.

About 2 weeks or so after the MRI results the symptoms disappeared completely and I was back to my normal self :)

The symptoms are now back and worse than last time round.

I am now experiencing:
- Bad head pain at the back left of my head/upper neck; it comes and goes but is present for about 75% of the time
- Nausea/dizziness
- Left eye twitching & a feeling of my left eye being "weaker" than my right eye
- Left arm/hand/leg feels weaker than usual, but it can still weight bear as usual

Most worrying of all:
1) I wake up with my headaches and they are worst in the morning and get worse when bending/moving etc., which I have read are classic symptoms of brain tumour headaches.
2) Paracetamol/ibuprofen does nothing; usually I can take 2 paarcetamol and my headache is gone really quickly.

Furthermore, I recently returned from my summer holiday only 1 week ago: I have not been feeling stressed (until the symptoms started and my anxiety kicked in) and I have been getting plenty of sleep. I can't think why my muscles would be especially tight or strained from being anxious, although I had been back at work for a couple days before it started. But again not been feeling that stressed.

In particular, everything I read about eye twitching says tiredness/caffeine can cause it but I am having the same amount as coffee as I always do and no less sleep than normal!

My questions are:

1. My MRI 11 months ago was not done with contrast; is it possible they could have missed a tumour if it was still very small at that stage?

2. Would it be possible for my symptoms to disappear for 11 months and then re-appear like this if it really was a tumour?

3. My symptoms (especially the headaches) are worse this time round; could this indicate a tumour that has been slowly growing?

4. Is it not really weird that it's once again the LEFT arm that is weak and LEFT eye that is twitching ... could that not be suggestive of a tumour on the back left of my brain?

Thanks for any advice. I'm seeing my GP next week but so worried and scared. I am very fit and there is no family history at all but I got unexpectedly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago, so the fact that the statistics for this being a tumour are in my favour just doesn't really help reassure me; the chances of getting Type 1 were incredibly low yet it still happened to me, so I just panic and worry about other things all the time now.

heyitsmeyou
28-08-16, 11:33
Hello! Most of what you described sounds like stress/tension headaches. Even if you haven't been feeling particularly stresses at the time. I have a low grade brain tumour, although I'm asymptomatic. A tumour will definitely show on the MRI. The contrast is to help the neuro team diagnosing the grade of the tumour. If it's high grade, the tumour will show up bright, if it's low grade, the tumour will be dark. (Luckily as mine). As for the weakness. Limbs will not "feel" week, they will be noticeably weak. Twitching is very common, especially the eye lids. This could mean nothing or perhaps a minor vitamin deficiency.

swgrl09
28-08-16, 13:40
I have all of those symptoms with my bad back/neck. You have been thoroughly checked out, so take some solace in that. Back and neck issues can be so difficult. Honestly sometimes my back is more tight when I am on vacation for lots of reasons other than stress: sleeping in a different bed, sitting in the car/plane for extended period of time, not stretching like I usually do, etc.

oceanscape
28-08-16, 20:15
Thanks so much to the both of you for your messages and support.

I will be asking my GP for help in dealing with my health anxiety once I have (hopefully) got the all clear because I really can't go on like this.

I've noticed that my headache is coming from one spot on the back left of my head and I can even feel the exact spot: I think it is the occipital? It hurts more when I press there.

Does that sound more or less like a possible tumour? I was trying to reassure myself that this discovery could mean the muscle is strained or I have hurt the neck/occipital tendons etc. in some way and that's why pressing it is painful ... but then I read an article about how brain-tumour related head pain will generally be in one location and that completely freaked me out again.

swgrl09
28-08-16, 20:34
If you press it and it is painful, that would make me think it would be muscular because that is what is on the outside of your skull. However because your brain is inside your skull, I doubt pressing on it would do anything if it was actually IN your brain. Does that make sense?

Thoughts
28-08-16, 23:04
If it starts at the back of the head where the neck meets the base of the skull and it it wraps up over the top and effects the eyes, it sounds like it could be the involvement of the occipital nerve, which can get compressed and irritated by tight neck muscles. This would explain why it is worse waking up and bending over (moving the neck). Sleeping on your neck wrong can further impinge/irritate the muscle.

With regard to morning headaches being classical bt symptoms, that has been disproven. Morning heachaches aren't really encountered that much.

Let me guess, you do computer work or stay on smartphone a lot. Keep an eye out for how far forward you head is positioned. Extending your neck such that you head is in a forward position can put pressure on and irritate the occipital nerve. Stand flat against a wall and do a chin tuck drawing your head back until it just touches the wall. if you moved much, your head is in a forward position.

Clean MRI and history of headaches practically rules out brain tumors.

Oh, and bt pain is often not in one place unless the bt puts traction on the dura without getting so large that it causes ICP. For most people, bt pain is deep and diffuse. Localized pain at the back of your head screams out occipital nerve pain! Do some research on the occipital nerve. It is almost only very, very rarely caused by tumors, and even when caused by tumors, they are mostly benign (because occipital nerve is at/below brain stem and there are very few malignant brain stem tumors in adults.

oceanscape
30-08-16, 16:39
Thanks, swgrl09. Makes complete sense.

And thanks, Thoughts. I do work a desk job and I know I have poor/lazy posture and tensed-up shoulders. I'm making an extra effort this week to sit properly and relax.

I saw my GP today and she blamed it on muscular tension and said a scan/referral is not necessary. I had a massage at the weekend and it didn't help but the therapist said there were lots of knots and it got pretty painful on my upper back. I know I probably won't rest until I see another clear MRI, but I'll give it a week and see how it goes.

I'm now thinking I've got clumsiness to add as yet another symptom, as I seem to be missing keys when typing and bumping into door frames etc. I've also lost my usual appetite. So more symptoms to add to my list and more worry and stress that this is something serious. Aaarghhh! On the plus side, my eye is twitching less ...

Thoughts
31-08-16, 01:57
Being careless is not the same as being incapable of walking. You bump into shit because you're just floating about being inattentive. I've done this my whole life. And I'm just guessing that it's your stress causing you to loose appetite or the effects of computer vision syndrome.

The chances of you having a BT now is not greater than any other bloke picked at random off the street. Forget about that scan, reassurance as you know by now is short lived.

oceanscape
01-09-16, 07:51
I thought I was getting better and had a good day yesterday, but last night I went for a run and when I got back I felt REALLY sick and nauseous.

I had a good night's sleep but woke up this morning earlier than usual with a very mild headache and again the really bad nausea/sick feeling. It did get slightly better after I ate some breakfast but I still feel a bit out of it and sick.

I am now 100% terrified. Nausea + morning headache seems to automatically be a major brain tumour concern. PLUS I was burping and yawning all day yesterday, again a BT symptom from what I have read.

I literally don't know what to do now; I seem to have so many of the classic symptoms and this nausea is just pushing me over the edge - in all my years of anxiety I've never had a sick feeling like this. And how can it be anxiety related when it got worse after it started getting better and I started calming down?

I'm going to see my GP tomorrow but feel so scared right now.

oceanscape
01-09-16, 13:03
I'm wondering if I should go to A&E instead of waiting for my GP appointment tomorrow.

I am at work and can't concentrate at all; I feel sick to my stomach and have zero appetite. I've never lost my appetite before, I am usually always hungry. I also feel a bit dizzy and spaced out. My head pains are moving all over the place and my neck feels tight and aches. I can't believe this is happening.

Thoughts
02-09-16, 01:39
Anxiety and muscle tension, nothing more. Any chance you've had whiplash injuries or concussions in the past, from sports or car accidents? Neck tension causes dizziness which would explain the lost appetite. I really wouldn't be too worried unless you start having projectile vomitting or have a massive seizure.

oceanscape
02-09-16, 12:39
Anxiety and muscle tension, nothing more. Any chance you've had whiplash injuries or concussions in the past, from sports or car accidents? Neck tension causes dizziness which would explain the lost appetite. I really wouldn't be too worried unless you start having projectile vomitting or have a massive seizure.
Thanks. No, no injuries of any kind that I am aware of.

Saw my GP today and she begrudgingly gave me a referral.

I also saw my optician and had an eye test which came back all clear; hopefully that is reassuring?

oceanscape
03-09-16, 11:26
Many of my symptoms are subsiding now that I've calmed down a bit except for the nausea and loss of appetite. My neck and back of head still aches a bit but I'm telling myself it's muscle pain.

Dr Google is terrifying me and everything about loss of appetite seems to = cancer or other terrible ailments. I'm so scared.

I've had anxiety before and never lost my appetite, if anything being stressed usually makes me eat MORE and makes me super hungry. So I'm struggling to tell myself it's anxiety caused.

Thoughts
03-09-16, 16:55
I've had regular anxiety for decades, never lost my appetite. Then one day I got a little dizzy and woozy, asked the GP what could it be and she quipped I don't know something with your stomach. I didn't think twice about that for a day or two and then on the way home from work I had a negative thought, "what if I have stomach cancer." Despite being otherwise perfectly healthy I got so nauseated by food the next two weeks I lost 25 lbs. it was all in my mind.

You don't have a brain tumor. You just don't. Not even close.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/18/291044766/yes-its-a-headache-no-you-dont-need-a-brain-scan

Brain tumors present with only headache in 2% of cases. Also headache is the only symptom in those rare cases for only a short period of time. Within 3 months you'd have symptoms that would signal something is wrong, seizure, leg stopped working, vomitting, loss of peripheral vision. Not just my toe tingles and i lost my appetite.

oceanscape
05-09-16, 19:16
So I saw a neurologist today. He didn't seem THAT concerned but then ordered me an MRI with contrast.

Absolutely freaking out. Why has ordered it with contrast? Does that mean he suspects something bad? He said something about showing head pressure but I just zoned out and freaked out when he said that. So nervous. I have the scan tomorrow and will get results Thursday.

Thanks for the link, Thoughts, but it just doesn't set my mind at rest. I know the risk is absolutely tiny but I've read countless stories online and on forums of people who had headaches as their only or primary symptom.

Thoughts
06-09-16, 01:59
He ordered a scan because that's what they do. I don't suspect it will show anything. At least you'll be able to stop worrying after Thursday.

oceanscape
06-09-16, 19:46
Had the MRI today. They injected the contrast right at the end and then put me back in for one final sequence. Very weird.

If it was something like a tumour they would call me ASAP right?

My headaches have been worse than ever today. They seem to be getting worse every day. I can't think straight and am just in constant panic mode with some depression/tearfulness as well. I don't understand why. I am so scared I'm going to be stuck with these headaches forever. It doesn't help that an article I came across today said new onset back of head headache + neck pain/tightness was a "red flag" warning sign for tumours.

Thoughts
06-09-16, 20:14
I've heard people get calls before they even got home. But yes, in all probability you would not have to wait more than minutes if it were indeed serious. I'm still betting on the neck muscle tension. Non contrast MRI is still pretty good and that was clear, so . . .

oceanscape
06-09-16, 21:36
I've heard people get calls before they even got home. But yes, in all probability you would not have to wait more than minutes if it were indeed serious. I'm still betting on the neck muscle tension. Non contrast MRI is still pretty good and that was clear, so . . .
It was clear 11 months ago and my symptoms weren't so bad then. My headaches are much, much worse this time round. Thanks for sticking with me on this horrible journey!

Thoughts
07-09-16, 04:19
As a long term head pain sufferer with massive health anxiety, this is my primary anxiety. I feel your pain, literally and figuratively. Good luck!

oceanscape
08-09-16, 18:54
My scans were all clear and my neurologist reassured me that they were excellent images and that - by having the contrast - I had the most comprehensive test available. He thinks it is muscle tension in my neck and has referred me to physiotherapy.

Thoughts, you were right all along!

To anyone reading this who is worried, I have had this headache for 2 weeks straight now and it has progressively been getting worse. Everything I read online about new onset persistent headaches of this nature (especially which get worse with exercise/bending - which mine do) seems to point to tumors but I hope my story can provide some reassurance for anyone in the same situation. For what it's worth, I had no neck trauma or injury I am aware of and my neck doesn't even feel that sore so you don't need neck pain for the neck to be referring pain to your head.

Now that my anxiety is easing up I hope that my less tense state and the physio will help these horrible headaches disappear. My neuro did suggest a drug (beginning with A?) for me to take but I said I'd rather wait a bit longer before starting on medication. Last time I got the "all clear" I was back to normal in a couple of weeks; here's hoping the same happens this time.

Now to try and address my health anxiety. Think I need to look into CBT.

Thoughts
08-09-16, 20:51
Congrats! You've put this one to bed. Don't go looking for another.

It doesn't take an accident to get tension in the neck. Google greater occipital nerve (and no other health stuff) and you will see it passes through a bunch of muscle at the nape of the neck. If you tense up, the nerve can get inflamed. It can be very, very painful.

heyitsmeyou
09-09-16, 10:06
Hey awesome. That's always a good feeling when you get the all clear.

Username2
13-06-17, 15:25
My scans were all clear and my neurologist reassured me that they were excellent images and that - by having the contrast - I had the most comprehensive test available. He thinks it is muscle tension in my neck and has referred me to physiotherapy.

Thoughts, you were right all along!

To anyone reading this who is worried, I have had this headache for 2 weeks straight now and it has progressively been getting worse. Everything I read online about new onset persistent headaches of this nature (especially which get worse with exercise/bending - which mine do) seems to point to tumors but I hope my story can provide some reassurance for anyone in the same situation. For what it's worth, I had no neck trauma or injury I am aware of and my neck doesn't even feel that sore so you don't need neck pain for the neck to be referring pain to your head.

Now that my anxiety is easing up I hope that my less tense state and the physio will help these horrible headaches disappear. My neuro did suggest a drug (beginning with A?) for me to take but I said I'd rather wait a bit longer before starting on medication. Last time I got the "all clear" I was back to normal in a couple of weeks; here's hoping the same happens this time.

Now to try and address my health anxiety. Think I need to look into CBT.

How did you manage to solve the headache? I'm in a very similar boat at the minute and your story is very reassuring to me.

Mercfh
13-06-17, 19:52
FWIW I had a similar headache for almost 9 months and it was just normal migraines. 999/1000 headaches are just headaches and not a BT as my neuro said.

jhopley
13-06-17, 21:09
I have all these symptoms and much more - all the ones listed are signs of muscle tension. have you trying to relax your body and random times of the day to clarify if your tense more then usual ?

oceanscape
18-06-17, 18:56
How did you manage to solve the headache? I'm in a very similar boat at the minute and your story is very reassuring to me.
It gradually went away a few days after my clear MRI results and the diagnosis with neck tension. I didn't even continue the physio as I was back to normal within a couple days.

Weirdly enough, though, I came back on to this thread today to try to reassure myself because I now have the EXACT SAME problem once again. Same headaches/nausea/dizziness as last year and I've had it a week now.

I'm telling myself it's the same muscle tension problem and that it will go by itself in time and I am just trying to make extra effort to relax. I got a massage yesterday and the therapist said my back and neck was an absolute mess with tension and knots so, even though my problem is headaches rather than back/neck pain, hopefully that is what's causing it. The massage was fairly painful and I was hoping I'd wake up today with my headaches gone but they're still here. Guess I'll just have to wait it out.