PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety comes back, physical symptoms.

UnhappyWorrier
27-08-16, 13:59
I've been suffering from health anxiety for about 5 years. When I was 18, I had convinced myself that I had HIV. Then a few months later I started experiencing shortness of breath, like the air couldn't reach my lungs. I went to the doctor, started taking some medication and it went away.
A year ago I was getting nauseous and feeling the urge to vomit almost every time I was away from the house. Went to the doctor again and surprise surprise, after a few weeks the constant nausea went away.

For the past year I was feeling absolutely fine. But now it came back again. I'm dizzy on and off again, feeling weak and unbalanced, on the verge of crying. I have been this way for about two weeks, but not constantly - when I'm relaxed or concentrated I don't feel any symptoms, only when I actually start thinking about them.

This caused me to start googling things and now I'm absolutely terrified. I started thinking about everything "wrong" or unusual about my body. I have a lump-ish formation on my buttcheek - it's painless, soft and doesn't get bigger, deflates when I press on it, very similar to a lipoma, kinda just feels like thicker skin. It might not even be there, I asked my mother to look at it multiple times and she said she doesn't even notice anything. I've had this for 3 months, checked it every day and it's still the same way it was, also disappears after I pull skin. I even forgot about it for a while. But suddenly I'm terrified about what it could be. I haven't gone to the doctor with it because it didn't change its size, but now this fear made me want to go.
Then I started to think about white stuff that's hanging off my uvula - had it for ages, definitely during dentist appointments, and never thought about it, but now obviously it's something terrible.

I'm more than convinced it's just anxiety, otherwise how can I feel fine one second and terrible the next? It's Saturday, I'm 22 years old and I should be going out and having fun, yet I'm sitting here crying about what illnesses I might have. The more I think about it, the more things I find wrong with me. I've decided to go to the doctor on Monday. While I wait I should just relax, but I can't stop worrying.

How can I calm myself down? I feel like my nerves are shot and I can't bring myself to go outside and walk. I feel like I've messed up by not going to the doctor more often. Sorry for the long post, but I feel like this is the only place where I can talk about this. I'm ashamed to talk to my friends and my mom just keeps reassurring me that I'm fine, it's just stress and bad habits, but my anxiety causes me to doubt her.

Primula
28-08-16, 09:26
You recognise this is anxiety, that's a massive step forward. Applied Relaxation and mindfulness very helpful. Have a look on getselfhelp.co.uk. Loads of useful info. Good luck.

helenhoo
28-08-16, 11:13
Exactly where you are, it's horrid. I say it's best to learn and recognise anxiety signs and let them pass. I did yesterday. I've been having on and off dizziness that's worse when I think of it, but when I'm distracted it's gone.

UnhappyWorrier
28-08-16, 17:08
Thanks, it feels good to know I'm not alone.

The dizziness and weakness is getting me right now (even though I'm not feeling sick or short of breath anymore, so I guess that's a plus). Sadly I'm now feeling weak all the time, kinda like I have the flu, and it only goes away for moments. I spent about 4 hours googling things yesterday, so my nerves are pretty messed up right now. I've had moments when I felt like I was going to faint. Only when I get home and focus on someting at my computer I feel semi-comfortable.

I went for a pretty long walk and had moments when I felt okay, however the weakness and overall nervousness still was there, which scares me. I'm getting afraid that this one won't go away.

UnhappyWorrier
29-08-16, 21:27
So I went to the doctor today and she prescribed me some medication and gave me a phone number for a therapist. She also checked out the "lump" on my buttock and told me it's nothing bad or dangerous and if I wish I can show it the next time I visit her. So while I still have some lingering anxiety about what if she didn't check it out enough, I rationally understand that if she didn't notice anything wrong, there isn't anything wrong.

I still feel somewhat weak and drained, didn't get much sleep thanks to anxiety, but the medication helped and while the symptoms probably won't go away in a few days, hopefully I'll feel better and better each day.

UnhappyWorrier
30-08-16, 16:44
So I just got the results of my blood work and everything was fine apart from leukocytes, that came in at 3.65 (the normal range starts at 4). 16 months ago I had it at about 5+. My neutrophils were noticably lower than in the previous test as well, though apparently still in normal range. So of course I started to freak out, thinking leukemia and whatnot.

Called my doctor and she said it's nothing special, I specifically asked her whether that could be bad and she dismissed it and said it's nothing to worry, telling me that if I wish I could check it again after two months. So this should put me in the clear, right? I'm still slightly worried about it being low, since I can't recall that I've had any minor illnesses that could've caused this, at least not ones that I noticed.

If the doctor looked at my blood work and deemed it alright (despite the lower leukocyte count), I should stop worrying, right?

Fishmanpa
30-08-16, 17:27
If the doctor looked at my blood work and deemed it alright (despite the lower leukocyte count), I should stop worrying, right?

Right! What are you doing to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

UnhappyWorrier
30-08-16, 17:40
Right! What are you doing to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

I think I'm going to call the therapist my doctor recommended. Also, I don't know if this counts as "treating" anxiety, but I went through some of the posts on this forum and saw how many people are going through similar experiences.

Fishmanpa
30-08-16, 17:58
I think I'm going to call the therapist my doctor recommended. Also, I don't know if this counts as "treating" anxiety, but I went through some of the posts on this forum and saw how many people are going through similar experiences.

In my experience, treating a mental illness such as anxiety or depression etc., requires "learning" and "action". Learning for example, why you react a certain way to a stimulus (a harmless physical symptom for instance) and then learning how to adjust your mindset so you don't react in such a negative way. Also for me, meds helped in that they calmed my mind so that I was able to focus on the work needed to make these changes.

The forum is beneficial in that you know you're not alone and it's a cathartic to be able to write out your feelings and thoughts but it's a catch 22 as well in that it can feed your anxiety with reassurance seeking and trigger more anxiety. There's no substitute for real life help and support.

Positive thoughts

UnhappyWorrier
30-08-16, 19:16
Yeah, I get where you're coming from - sometimes after getting reassurance you seek for more and more reassurance, at least I tend to do that.

Fishmanpa
30-08-16, 21:48
Yeah, I get where you're coming from - sometimes after getting reassurance you seek for more and more reassurance, at least I tend to do that.

It's like "crack" to an HA sufferer!

Positive thoughts