PDA

View Full Version : New here, afraid all the time

Yoshimaster55
27-08-16, 14:30
Four years ago my husband and I got into a car crash. Though the car was totaled, we were fine except for a couple of minor concussions. However, I have suffered with anxiety ever since.I cannot escape the feeling of my mortality.

Usually, I can shake the feelings, but in the last 4 or 5 months I am hardly functioning. I cannot sleep at night because I am afraid someone will break into my house and hurt myself, or my husband and daughter. We are also going to take a long (12 day) roadtrip to go a relatives wedding but I am terrified. I cannot even enjoy the possibility of a trip because I am afraid of a terror attack, a shooting or dying in a fiery car crash.

Also, I fear for my husband daily when he gets to work. If he doesn't text to me at least once an hour I am convinced that something awful has happened. I am exhausted from being afraid all the time but I don't know what to do about it and I don't want my daughter to grow up seeing me be afraid of something that I know statistically is unlikely to happen.

swgrl09
27-08-16, 14:58
Welcome, Yoshimaster55! It sounds really understandable that you would be so anxious. Is there anything you can think of over the past 4-5 months that may be making it worse than normal? I know my anxiety flares up if I am under the weather, that time of the month, if something stressful is going on in my life.

Hace you considered getting any treatment?

Yoshimaster55
27-08-16, 17:30
The thought has crossed my mind, getting treatment. But my insurance doesn't cover mental healthcare and I don't really know enough about the treatment to know if I should pursue that avenue.

swgrl09
27-08-16, 18:30
Yeah, that's the struggle over here. Some plans cover it and some do not. It might not be a bad idea to talk to your doctor and he/she can give you some general information about what is available in your area. Some places, including the place I work, have financial assistance plans for those who do not have mental health care covered. You could talk to a therapist, doctor, social worker, etc.

almamatters
27-08-16, 18:41
:welcome: to the forum, i for one can understand your feelings of being afraid, I'm sure you will get lots of help and support on here. I have periods where my anxiety flares up and I'm scared of literally everything! Wish I could offer some advice, but I'm struggling at the moment so just wanted to welcome you.

Yoshimaster55
27-08-16, 21:10
Thank you for the welcome. It's nice to have a community of people who understand what it is like.

Buster70
27-08-16, 22:25
Hi , my anxiety started with choking on some food , a small thing that sent me to hospital and got me over thinking about life death and my own mortality , that was four years or so ago , I have had periods when its eased off but the thing that starts it back up is stress and not sleeping , has anything changed lately to stress you out more , with me sleeping is a big issue if I do occasionally get a reasonable nights sleep the anxiety eases off the next day , I'm also doing cbt to help with the worrying and catastrophising , you have to try to remember worrying won't stop bad things happening and how much time have you wasted worrying when nothing happened , I'm still working on that myself but somtimes now I know something could happen but I go on with my day anyway , take care .

georgewing
28-08-16, 06:22
Try meditation because its calm the body and the mind ,also try to not hink so much at that events and bad things try to find something nice that keeps yoou busy and make you to feel good