PDA

View Full Version : Experiences Taper/Withdrawing off antidepressants

Mermaid16
28-08-16, 08:16
I started my taper off 100mg Sertraline (been on for over 10 years). Anxiety is through the roof this afternoon. So worried about doing this. I have dropped 25mg. Apart from anxiety, the only other thing I've noticed is involuntary twitches when I'm relaxed. Would love to hear anyone's experiences. Thanks. Tracy x

Shazamataz
28-08-16, 08:45
Hi Tracy,

When I came off escitalopram late last year (regretting it now but never mind) I reduced by quarter of a dose every week or so. The main thing I experienced was the 'brain zaps', which kind of feel like an electric shock going through your head. These happened many times a day and are a really common symptom of withdrawing, even gradually, so don't be freaked out by them. These lasted about 2 weeks after I completely stopped the meds and were bearable. I almost got used to them!

I can't remember if I had twitching but after a month of going back on SSRIs and not handling it at all I did have the twitching then when I stopped. Real sudden jerks when lying down. They will pass eventually!

Mermaid16
28-08-16, 08:56
Thanks Shaz for the reassurance. I have been reading horror stories (there are lots of them) and have worked myself up into a tizz. I know it isn't going to be easy. I will try and see how I go. I've got the Valium if it gets too bad, but am trying with all my might to only use that when really, really needed. Have definately felt the increase in anxiety tonight compared to the last few days, which is to be expected I guess. I really need to stop goggling because I know it makes it worse. I do it to try and reassure myself, but it never works and I end up feeling worse. Thanks for your help. Really feeling all over the place at the moment. Crying as I write. I can do this. Hope you are feeling better. Is the anxiety still staying away. Xx

Elen
28-08-16, 09:00
I must be lucky I have cross tapered and withdrawn from numerous SSRI''s and never had a problem. Slowly does it is the main thing. Good luck

Shazamataz
28-08-16, 09:12
You're welcome. Not much help though. Just don't be freaked by the brain zaps. They are quite strange and alarming at first but very common.

Definitely use the valium as little as possible. I ended up on it daily for a bit and now stuck on a small dose many months later as I tapered down and then lost the plot again which may or may not have been related. I have withdrawal from that to look forward to as well as zopiclone. Just one thing at a time.

Overall my anxiety has been improving and my sleep so much better than it was when I had months of only about 4 hours a night.

Unfortunately stress is high today as my car wouldn't start. The AA came out and diagnosed a dead starter motor and are towing the car to a garage tomorrow morning. I have no idea how long it will take to fix it (if parts need ordered etc) and feel very trapped without wheels. A kind friend drove the dogs and I to the beach this afternoon for a quick walk. They are used to getting two hours off lead almost every day (two outings) so we can't go too long with no wheels! Anyway, another kind friend is lending me her car tomorrow to rake the dogs out and do some shopping. Fingers crossed it gets fixed quickly. I'm not even thinking about the money!

Crying is good, in a way, it lets things out.

xx

Mermaid16
28-08-16, 11:10
Thanks Shaz. That's unfortunate about your car. Glad that you have friends that can help you out while your getting it fixed. Can imagine that the two puppies would be giving you the sad looks if they didn't get to go for a walk. I don't know much about cars but hopefully it isn't major. Hope you had a good weekend. Tracy xx

Debs21uk
28-08-16, 18:36
Hi mermaid,

I'm going through the same thing, I'm actually switching to escitalopram from citalopram so my dr wants me to taper low before I switch to the new drug. I am doing it very slowly, my dr said drop 10mg at a time but I know for a fact I can't tolerate that as I'm very sensitive. So I've got a pill cutter and I'm cutting 2.5mg off my dose every few days and cutting more off when if I feel I'm not having too many withdrawals.

So far I've noticed headaches, a bit of dizziness, jitteriness and trouble getting to sleep. I've still to drop another 15mg before I can switch so I'll just need to persevere.

Keep in touch if you want to compare jitters lol.

Mermaid16
28-08-16, 23:17
Hi Debs

Thanks for your reply. A 'jitter' buddy would bet great :). I totally get where you are coming from with the slow taper. My psych originally wanted to do a straight 50mg drop from 100mg, which I said no to. I suggested 12.5mg drop, but he said no, drop to 25mg. I am feeling like crap...trying to work. My concentration is all over the place, but I am writing things down so I don't forget. Will keep in touch. Let me know how you are getting on today. When did you start the taper? So tempted to go back up, but everyone keeps encouraging me to do what the doc has said to do. I take Mirtazapine at night, so at least I am getting a good nights sleep. Take care. Tracy

12.00 Noon - Day 4 - Extreme mood swings. From extremely irritable/angry to calm and relaxed. Am the most placid person and one thing that really upsets me is feeling angry for no reason. Wish I didn't have to do this. Am clearly not in the right frame of mind. It is necessary however. Sertraline has pooped out after at least 10 years taking it and anxiety before the taper was very high. I know I need to do this. I also know that I will be on antidepressants for the rest of my life, which makes me sad.

Debs21uk
29-08-16, 17:54
I started the taper about a week ago and I'm trying to get it done as quick as possible but I'm having headaches so I don't want to do too much too soon again. I'm in the same boat citalopram has pooped out after 12 yrs for me so I'm switching over to escitalopram since its closely related, failing that it's sertraline. Do you know what you are switching too?

It's very easy for dr's to say just instantly drop doses and you'll be fine, they aren't the ones having to suffer the side effects. I'm in the same boat regarding being on antidepressants indefinitely but at the end of the day we need to live. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat further.

Keep going we'll get there