PDA

View Full Version : Please help

Sefton
29-08-16, 18:18
Hello, I'm new to the forum and really need help.

I've suffered with moderate depression for many years. Had a pretty bad episode about six weeks ago and my GP signed me off from work. Taking 30mg Prozac a day.

A week ago, I noticed a small mark under my eye and consulted Google - as you do - within two minutes I'd convinced myself it was a basal cell carcinom and spent the whole day and night constantly looking in the mirror and looking at pictures is skin cancer. The next day, the spot had all but disappeared so panic over. Or so I thought. A couple of days ago I had trouble swallowing a pill. The sane side of my brain told me I should have drank more water but the nutty side of my brain told me to look up 'trouble swallowing' - yep, I definitely had all the symptoms of gullet cancer. I was in a terrible state and the anxiety only made the symptoms worse.

Fast forward to last night. I was mouisturing and noticed my cheek looked slightly swollen. Googled 'swollen cheek' and it came up with blocked sinus which kind of made sense. I've got a small nose and have suffered sinus problems on and off for years. However, further down the page was 'sinus cancer'!!! Clicked on it and have scared the bejesus out of myself. In May, I had a really bad cold that developed into an ear and sinus infection, course of antibiotics and it cleared up, except my sense of smell disappeared - completely went along with some taste issues. I mentioned this to the dr on my next visit and he said it was quite common after the kind of infection I had. I had no congestion, could breath in and out of both nostrils, wasn't having headaches or anything like that. Dr said there was no saying how long it would take but the likelihood was I'd return to normal in time. Didn't really think anymore about it until last night. I didn't even know you could get sinus cancer. There's a long list of symptoms and the only one I had was the smelling. Since then I've developed most of them - headache, pressure around the eyes, watery eye, earache. I'm absolutely convinced I have it and am terrified I'm going to have to have half my face and my eye removed. The thing is, I'm due to fly off on holiday at the weekend, a lovely surprise from hubby to make me fell better but now I don't want to go. I think the air cabin pressure is going to make my sinuses and my ears rupture because of the cancer.

Pleas help. I'm going mad.

Thank you x

nicol1333
29-08-16, 18:34
Hello!

We've all been where you are and please please keep in mind that as hard as it is we have to try to trust our doctors. Please go and enjoy your trip! I've missed out on a lot due to my anxiety and kick myself for still struggling.

Sefton
29-08-16, 18:45
Thank you for replying. I know I'm being irrational but I can't help it. Today I've noticed my sense of smell improving. I can actually smell a couple of things - baby powder and toilet cleaner only but it's a start I suppose. I keep looking to see if I can see the swelling where the tumour is. One side of my nose does look a bit bigger than the other side but it's not even the same place I noticed the swelling last night!

I'm waiting for an appointment with the mental health team. Not sure how long it will take. I have never been so scared but it's reassuring to know other people have the same issues and I'm not dealing with it on my own����

nicol1333
29-08-16, 19:12
I TOTALLY understand. I'm still struggling and asked my husband so many times for reassurance over the weekend he told me it was starting to drive him mad! It's so hard to find the balance and once you fall in that hole of self awareness of every weird pain and sensation it's hard to climb back out. But just remember we all know wha it's like and we're here for you! :)