PDA

View Full Version : Splinter

blackbroom
29-08-16, 21:26
When I was opening a can of tomatoes for dinner tonight, I felt a sharp pain in my finger and since then I've had that familiar splintery feeling whenever I put pressure on that finger - not great pain, but a slightly painful tingle - so I think I probably got a tiny speck of the jagged metal from the tin in the fleshy part of my finger.

The trouble is, though, I can't see the splinter, so it must be microscopically small and/or have gone deep below the surface and there's no way I can work out its location accurately enough to dig it out.

I've been having obsessive thoughts about tetanus for a few months now and I know puncture wounds that don't bleed and the wound closes up behind the foreign object can cause tetanus because (a) you can't clean them properly (b) no oxygen can get in (tetanus can't produce toxin in the presence of oxygen).

I'm also worried about other infections (septicaemia etc)

Captain irrational
29-08-16, 22:58
You are not going to get tetanus.

Gary A
29-08-16, 23:24
When I was opening a can of tomatoes for dinner tonight, I felt a sharp pain in my finger and since then I've had that familiar splintery feeling whenever I put pressure on that finger - not great pain, but a slightly painful tingle - so I think I probably got a tiny speck of the jagged metal from the tin in the fleshy part of my finger.

The trouble is, though, I can't see the splinter, so it must be microscopically small and/or have gone deep below the surface and there's no way I can work out its location accurately enough to dig it out.

I've been having obsessive thoughts about tetanus for a few months now and I know puncture wounds that don't bleed and the wound closes up behind the foreign object can cause tetanus because (a) you can't clean them properly (b) no oxygen can get in (tetanus can't produce toxin in the presence of oxygen).

I'm also worried about other infections (septicaemia etc)

You're worried about a can that held your food having all the ability to give you all of these horrible infections, yet you ate the contents of said can without a second thought. Can't you see how irrational that is?

These tins are incredibly sterile. No, you won't get anything from this. The body will work the splinter out all on its own.

blackbroom
30-08-16, 18:56
Thank you. Now just trying to ignore all the old wives' tales about metal splinters moving around inside your body.