PDA

View Full Version : First flight in five years next week

Iridescentunicorn
29-08-16, 23:00
Hi everyone
I have a flight next Monday to Vegas for my sisters wedding. It's my first flight in five years. My last flight wasn't bad but I took diazepam and was still super anxious before the flight.
The years after this flight I ended up cutting out tubes then trains then buses then became agoraphobic for a few weeks. From then I've used cbt and a Councillor to build up again go using buses and getting back into work, driving etc and being at ease without any medication at all.
Past few weeks I've been do anxious about Vegas that I've had two panic attacks one on a bus and one at the cinema ( it was a very intense film and very busy so think that may have been a factor)
But now I'm so petrified that this is just bringing me down again and setting me up for a fall next week. I'm so scared as I can't not go to my sisters wedding, if I don't get on and have to come home alone I'm worried what I'll do, I feel ill have to go to some sortve psychiatric retreat as I won't be able to cope :( I need a bit of help if anyone can?

Saltlick
30-08-16, 00:41
How long is the flight? I just took a 5hr flight and i have to take another one back home in 3 days. I was so scared i was having panick attacks days before and the morning of the flight when i was dropped off at the terminal i freaked, but i got on the plane and so can you. Take meds the night before and the morning before you leave. Take a backpack on the plane, put books..magazines, and the biggest saviour for me was my iphone and a cheap amazon fire tablet. They are $50. Get one and load it with games and movies. Get some headphones. Play music you like on your iphone loud in your ear buds so it drowns out noises like take off ect. Once the plane gets level, play a game on amazon fire or play games while listening to music. Every hour, get up and walk around. Sit in an isle seat. Focus on the plane attendants bringing the cart. Get an alcoholic drink. Before you know it an hours gone by, then another. Reassure yourself your doing fine. You can make it. These things is what i do and it works. Dont stop listening to your favorite music. Kerp your mind occupied at all times. You can do it!

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Your alternative is to miss the wedding and reconfirm how afraid you are to fly, things only go downhill from there.