PDA

View Full Version : Acne

maya
24-03-07, 21:40
I'm just wondering if any one else here with GAD and panic disorder has problems with Acne.

I have adult onset acne and wonder if it related to my panic due to the high cortisol levels. I never had acne as a teenager and really only started getting it when I started having problems with panic.

My hormones/thyroid have been tested and I eat a very healthy diet so am starting to wonder if it is the panic.

traciec39
24-03-07, 21:49
hi maya
yes hunni i also suffer with bad acne due to panic and anxiety.
Im sure that there is a connection, however now i see a dermatologist, and have laser treatment.
There is a great creamm you can ask your doc for its called isotretion gel.
hope this helps

luv tracie xxx

belle
24-03-07, 22:10
Hi..
I have terrible terrible acne. All month round, so i know its not related to the monthly hormones. I've tried EVERYTHING. I've spent a fortune on creams, washes, gels, antisceptics, you name it, i've tried it!!!! I HATE my face, i have terrible scars too which look horrendous in the summer. :(

I'm looking to have a chemical peel, just need to save a couple of ££££'s.

Never thought it could be anxiety related.

Sarah

yorkylover
24-03-07, 23:29
Hi,I to have adult acne.I get it on one side of my face worse than the other.And its also worse at different times of the month.I usually get it on my jaw line and the center of my cheek.The only thing I found that helped me was freederm from the chemist.:weep:

maya
24-03-07, 23:52
Hi,I to have adult acne.I get it on one side of my face worse than the other.And its also worse at different times of the month.I usually get it on my jaw line and the center of my cheek.The only thing I found that helped me was freederm from the chemist.:weep:

I also get it worse on one side, the left side and on my jaw. What is freedom and is it only available in the UK?

xBettyBoopx
25-03-07, 00:37
Hi Maya

I have acne, didn't get it until I was 27!! I have never related it to anixety/panic as I have been a sufferer since I was 18. I had hormone test they all came back normal. I have terrible greasy skin and blackheads which for a woman of my age (49) is terrible, I'm also past the menopause and it seems to be worse now. I was sent to a consultant dermotoligist (sp) who wanted to give me some medication that you can only get at the hospital but the side effects scared me, so I didn't take them. I'm sorry there doesn't seem to be a cure for it. It's apparently (so I'm told) got to do with the male hormone testosorone(sp) that reacts badly on the skin. I also get little itchy spots on my chest which over the years have left scars, I used to get them on my back but not anymore. I really don't think it's related to anxiety, but possibly could be the medication. Unfortunately personally I don't think that enough research is done, as it does have a bad effect on self-esteem and confidence. I've always wanted to just cover my face from everybody for the last 20+ years:mad: and hide in a corner!
Lost of people get over it, so that's good news, just some have it all there lives.
I hope you get some help with it and good luck.
Elspeth

jo61
25-03-07, 09:39
I had my first outbreak in my late thirties when I started to suffer from anxiety and depression. I still get the occasional outbreak and know it's frustrating. It seems to be a fairly common side effect of this horrible illness.

yorkylover
25-03-07, 18:17
Freederm is a cream available over the counter in chemists,Im not sure if its available outside the uk.:shrug:

franfhm
26-03-07, 22:17
I find I get an outbreak of it either just before or just after an anxiety attack. Its really strange!