PDA

View Full Version : Fear and anxiety of voices, schizophrenia and pareidolia

Sarahjosephine
31-08-16, 02:49
So I've been through a lot in recent years, almost 3 years ago my bf got psychosis and took his life and then a week ago my cousin attempted to hang himself and had severe anxiety and depression and now I've just been super on edge, hyper sensitive. I went and saw him at hospital in intensive care and he isn't going to make it and it was so full on and sad, I thought I was strong enough to deal with it but it was too much.

I only got upset when I left the hospital though, I've been having obsessive thoughts of being yelled at in my right ear and imagining my name being called as I've read about it so I start worrying about it. I'm so afraid of getting psychosis and sometimes before sleep I swear I hear it loud and clear 😞 I don't want to feel this way anymore and then have to be sedated on a bunch of meds.

I worry coz I'm 28 and a female and apparently that's around the age you get diagnosed with schizophrenia :( I also am hyper sensitive to sounds and get that weird phenomenon of seeing faces in patterns and objects. It's really bizarre and alarming. I'm so afraid of going crazy, it's really hard :( I'm just tired of this anxiety and feeling so lost and afraid.

I've been to a psychologist and a psychiatrist but I feel like I get a new symptom every week...any guidance or advice would be helpful. Does anyone else feel this way? Thank you, love and light - Sarah

Sarahjosephine
02-09-16, 09:02
If anyone could reply that would be really helpful...really struggling at the moment. Love and light

nomorepanic
02-09-16, 11:03
I will move this to the correct forum for you as you posted it in the testing forum

Luelle
02-09-16, 13:28
People with schizophrenia don't realise they have it. The mind plays tricks on us when we are highly anxious, which is hyperousal to sounds, thoughts, movements and sleep, basically your brain is on high alert trying to protect you. I'm going through this myself at the moment, and it will get better. You need to find away to relax, mindfulness is a good step to take and gentle excerise. I no your desperate to feel normal again, but only time and therepy will help.

georgewing
03-09-16, 06:00
Well therapy its very useful and try to help your mind as much as you can by ofering her some positive images ,nice thoughts and feelings .Meditation its very useful make before your sleep your daily ritual 30 min of meditation before you sleep help

Buster70
03-09-16, 08:14
Hi there , I've been in a similar situation lately partner took an overdose but survived and I too have a cousin in hospital I also made the decision to visit but didn't get to see him he was too poorly , it sounds like you're mind is tired out I've felt like that a lot of times and thought I'm going mad even looking at myself in the mirror freaked me out , scizophrenia usualy comes along in the late teens my old best mate from school has it and he started to show signs at about 18 but he thought what he was doing was nomal he was sectioned in his early twenties , anxiety makes you worry it will happen and that's not the same but very scary , I think lot of people hear things as they drift off to sleep I jolt back awake thinking somone has shouted me , sorry I can't offer more but hope you find some peace of mind , take care .

MyNameIsTerry
03-09-16, 10:12
Hi Sarah,

You've really been through a tough time lately and it would test any of us. I'm really sorry to hear about your cousin, I hope they can make his remaining time as comfortable as possible and that you all get the support you need at this difficult time. :hugs::flowers:

On the subject of voices, people always worry about schizophrenia. This is so common in people with OCD too, it's a known OCD theme.

What you have to remember is that there are all sorts of reasons for hearing voices. The Mind webpage gives a list. I've pasted this over as I think they will help you to see that your current experience, as well as your existing anxiety disorder, can account for this:

Why do I hear voices?
There are lots of reasons why you might hear voices. Here are some of them:
- Voices as you fall asleep or wake up - these are to do with your brain being partly in a dreaming state. The voice might call your name or say something brief. You might also see strange things or misinterpret things you can see. These experiences usually stop as soon as you are fully awake.
- Lack of sleep - this can cause you to hear voices or have other sensory experiences that you can't explain in everyday ways.
- Hunger - you may hear voices if you are very hungry or if you haven't eaten much recently.
- Physical illness - if you have a high temperature and are delirious you may hear voices or see and say strange things.
- Drugs - you may hear or see things after taking street drugs or as a side effect of some prescribed drugs. You might also have these experiences when you are coming off drugs.
- Bereavement - if you have recently lost someone very close you may hear them talking to you or feel that they are with you. This experience is very common and some people find it comforting.
- Abuse or bullying - you may hear the voice of the person who abused you being unkind or threatening or ordering you to harm yourself or do things that you know are wrong. This is especially so if you experienced the abuse in childhood when you had not learned the coping skills you needed to protect yourself.
- Other traumatic experiences - you may hear voices as a result of other traumas. You may be diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. Hearing several different voices may be associated with traumatic experiences and with dissociative disorders.
Spiritual experiences - some people hear a voice as part of a spiritual experience. This may be a very special experience and one that you feel helps you make sense of your life. Or you may feel as though you are hearing the voice of an evil spirit.
- Mental health problems - you may hear voices if you experience psychosis, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or severe depression.

That first one on the list is called Hypnagogia (when falling asleep or within the first two hours of sleep) or Hypnopompia (when waking). In these natural mind states we can experience a whole host of recorded phenomena and hallucinations (visual, auditory, olfactory) are all recorded. Hearing you name is a listed one.