PDA

View Full Version : lung cancer fear

maria26
01-09-16, 09:41
I have had a irritation down middle chest mainly below breast bone where ribs meet for 4 weeks. I feel I have to cough a lot to bring up mucus which I have a lot of. Mucus is clear white but I am so worried it is a tumour in my lung. Had a clear x ray and no infection. I am asthmatic but dont remember feeling this irritation all the time. I am so scared I am shaking. Would not worry but people have said on here cxr no good for detecting lung cancer. I also have a hiatus hernia and it is around that area I have the irritation. I am also now feeling pain in my back so I am freaking. Have had long periods of mucusy cough in the past that went but not this odd feeling. Had ct chest jan 2015 as I worried then but was clear.
Please anyone does this sound like lung cancer

lscmichelle
01-09-16, 09:51
do you normally smoke? and how old are you

maria26
01-09-16, 10:20
No I have never smoked and I am 64

lily1
01-09-16, 21:30
If you had the same symptoms in 2015 and had a clear CT and a clear X Ray then I'd say unless your coughing a lot or coughing blood then to me the tests look good. My uncles lung cancer was detected by X Ray.

bin tenn
01-09-16, 22:11
I'm 29, male, smoker (have good reason to quit ASAP though). BUT I have GERD, pretty badly at times. I also have an occasional cough, sometimes with clear mucus. I don't have a hiatal hernia that I know of, but I think the cough and mucus may be due to GERD. The lining of the esophagus is very sensitive, and GERD irritates it. The esophagus lining produces mucus, and it produces more when something tries to cause damage. Hence, a cough for many with GERD.

I began a med for GERD recently - Protonix (Pantoprazole). Lo and behold, my cough/mucus have been reduced significantly. Have you ever been on anything, either prescription or OTC, for GERD?

maria26
03-09-16, 15:57
Thanks you so much for your reply. I feel much calmer and yes, I do think my gerd causes this. It is so kind of you to reply
Maria

Mojo61
03-09-16, 16:14
Lung cancer isn't normally discovered until it has spread to other parts of the body. My neighbour started off with a pain in the back of his neck which the doctor told him was muscular. The pain spread to his arm and he couldn't lift it up but was still told muscular. Then lumps started appearing all over his body; they told him probably cysts. He was in agony, losing weight and on morphine patches for the pain but was still told it was probably muscular. This was in January and in March his appointment came through for a scan on his neck which revealed a pathological fracture in one of his vertebrae and they took him straight to London for an operation to fix a steel cage to his neck. MRI showed small cell lung cancer with metastasis to bones and lymph nodes, next it attacked his liver and brain and he died on 11th August - he was 59 and a non smoker.

I guess what I'm trying to say is lung cancer is VERY aggressive and moves through the body relentlessly, it doesn't mess about once it starts and it doesn't stop until it has finished you off. You would be feeling extremely ill by now and probably showing symptoms of metastasis like bone pain, swollen lymph nodes, jaundice, confusion, lack of appetite etc.

Smirk
03-09-16, 22:03
It's already been mentioned that lung cancer is typically found later and as such much more serious issues pop up. Yours don't sound so serious but at your age it should be on your radar.

However clear mucus indicates histamine which is the way the human body reacts to irritants. If you have had a stuffy nose it can also trickle down and cause a chronic cough.

You would also be experiencing shortness of breath and you would struggle to do things you would normally do. As usual chances are it's nothing but look after yourself :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
03-09-16, 22:54
Please anyone does this sound like lung cancer

Not in the least.

Positive thoughts

TimeSoup
17-01-17, 10:20
Lung cancer isn't normally discovered until it has spread to other parts of the body. My neighbour started off with a pain in the back of his neck which the doctor told him was muscular. The pain spread to his arm and he couldn't lift it up but was still told muscular. Then lumps started appearing all over his body; they told him probably cysts. He was in agony, losing weight and on morphine patches for the pain but was still told it was probably muscular. (...) he died on 11th August - he was 59 and a non smoker.

Have you guys noticed how every other cancer story starts with symptoms that will be wildly overlooked by doctors. It's always about the 'stress' and pain is related to 'muscular'... Depressing.

Kay8010
17-01-17, 10:38
And then people wonder why we 'question' Doctors and demand further evasive testing.......

TimeSoup
17-01-17, 10:52
And then people wonder why we 'question' Doctors and demand further evasive testing.......

A friend of mine is a very competent doctor, but he is an extremely scrupulous one, which means he will never take a symptom lightly, and you will never leave his practice without a hint of anxiety until all tests are done and clearance is given . When things go really South with my health, and I have trust issues with my standard GP, I switch to him, but I then know I have to brace myslef for some hard and sleepless times to come.

A sharp and maybe slightly worried physician is a better asset for one's health than a too optimistic one, but can be very challenging for your peace of mind when one is prone to health phobia, like we are.

Kay8010
17-01-17, 11:19
I guess its a case of knowing your GP like me I knew my GP very very well only because I kind of 'lived' at the Surgery, I would not settle for 'oh its just IBS' there must be a type of diagnostic test to make a diagnosis for symptoms, however, it might not be that easy (I guess).

My case is Cry wolf comes to mind with me......how many times can you do that to myself and the GP's

swajj
17-01-17, 11:37
My doctor once told me that doctors begin by treating the most probable cause of symptoms. He was in his late 70's when he retired so he had many years of experience. Us HA sufferers are inclined to turn up at the doctors wanting to be tested for whatever terminal illness we believe we have at the time. So instead of saying "hey doc I have this terrible headache which I think is related to my stress, the HA sufferer turns up and says "hey doc I have this terrible headache and I think it is a brain tumour?". The doctor who actually knows more than us takes note that we haven't mentioned any of the more common symptoms that are associated with a brain tumour so treats the most likely cause of the headache "stress". And that's as it should be.

Kay8010
17-01-17, 11:55
Us HA sufferers are inclined to turn up at the doctors wanting to be tested for whatever terminal illness we believe we have at the time.

VERY true!

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-17, 23:12
My doctor once told me that doctors begin by treating the most probable cause of symptoms. He was in his late 70's when he retired so he had many years of experience. Us HA sufferers are inclined to turn up at the doctors wanting to be tested for whatever terminal illness we believe we have at the time. So instead of saying "hey doc I have this terrible headache which I think is related to my stress, the HA sufferer turns up and says "hey doc I have this terrible headache and I think it is a brain tumour?". The doctor who actually knows more than us takes note that we haven't mentioned any of the more common symptoms that are associated with a brain tumour so treats the most likely cause of the headache "stress". And that's as it should be.

Spot on, swajj.

That's the only difference between a HA sufferer turning up and someone with no mental health issues who has the same symptoms. Why would having HA make it more likely?