PDA

View Full Version : Stomach ulcer? Cancer fears again.

Redsoles
02-09-16, 20:53
Hi all

I'm back here again. I posted around April with stomach and bowel issues. Started CBT and one thing was to stay away from here as therapist thought it was feeding my fears, so I haven't been on for a while.

I've had pain under left rib cage for about a year now. Most days it's just the odd twinge to remind me it's still there but it's not painful as such. However last Friday I woke up with bad stomach cramps. I thought it was food poisoning as it felt like that type of cramp. Gradually got worse throughout the morning until at one point I was doubled over with pain, panting like I was in labour and the pain kept coming in waves. I was sweating and felt extrmely nauseous at one point.

No bowel movements or any sickness though so that rules out food issues.

Got to the walk in centre and saw duty doctor who was quite frankly dismissive. Gave me a prescription for Lansoprazole to reduce stomach acid.

While queuing in the pharmacy I was obviously in some distress as I was crying and couldn't stand up. The pharmacist took me into a side room and made me take one of the tablets. After about ten mins I was able to go home and the pain stopped after about half an hour. So I'd had about five hours of pain which was worse than labour.

I've been taking the pills and all I have now is that niggle under the left rib, in the same place all the time.

I'm so fed up with this now. I find it hard to believe that this is IBS, which my GP seems to think.

I should also mention that I've lost 60lbs in the last year by slimming world, I'm about 160lbs now.

Can anyone relate to this? I'm so worried it's something nasty.

Phuzella
02-09-16, 21:05
The fact that it improved after an antacid points to it being acid related. Are you eating properly

Redsoles
02-09-16, 21:27
Yes, ironically my diet has never been better. I usually have poached eggs on toast with spinach for breakfast, lunch usually a salad or sushi and dinner chicken or fish with rice, pasta or veg. I only drink water and tea. But still have this nagging thing on the left side all the time.

StrangeQuark
02-09-16, 21:47
I went through something similar earlier this year. The pain was so extreme I was convinced there must be something serious (ulcer or cancer) wrong. Like you, there was no passing gas or bowel movement to relieve things. I went to the doctor and was referred for an endoscopy. The wait for the endoscopy was torture as I was certain they would find something nasty. Of course, it was fine and the biopsies were clear.

I would agree with Phuzella that the fact it improved after you took the antacid indicates a problem with stomach acid. However, I do understand how utterly frustrating it is to constantly feel painful niggles and how hard it can be to ignore them as "harmless."