PDA

View Full Version : Scared i have angina

Alice1
03-09-16, 00:22
I'm 21, female, have been doing well on the panic front, used to have ectopic beats and worries about heart attacks but haven't been to the doctor for about 8 months. Feeling good. Had echo/treadmill test etc of my heart about a year ago. All good.

Also been doing a lot of rowing, competitively. I play a fair amount of sport/train 45 mins on the rowing machine regularly and do high intensity stuff occasionally.

Today I was going to play squash with my friend.
We had to jog to the bus stop and for some reason I felt a sharp pain in my chest directly above my heart, it was in a small area and disappeared when I stopped running.

Played squash for an hour. All fine. Bit dizzy half way through but hadn't eaten a lot today/drank enough water but it quickly passed.

On the way home we decided to race to our house. Again, running quite fast from walking pace and the pain happened again. Above heart, disappeared quickly when stopped running. (Ran for about 20s in total).

Freaking out now. Just tried to run again outside on my own to test and the exact same thing happened.

I am so so scared right now. I have sprinted/ran before. I have felt pain before in the chest area but not so repeatable with running. Why suddenly today!???

Worrywonka
03-09-16, 00:42
Sounds like costocondritis. Annoying but harmless. As uve had all those heart exams i seriously doubt its ur heart. I used to get these pains often in my late teens and early 20s. Try stretching out a bit.

Alice1
03-09-16, 00:45
Sounds like costocondritis. Annoying but harmless. As uve had all those heart exams i seriously doubt its ur heart. I used to get these pains often in my late teens and early 20s. Try stretching out a bit.

I have a very tight left shoulder/chest area. However this specifically came on when running? And I recreated it sprinting again. I sprinted 6 days ago in the same way and was fine, can heart problems come on this quickly?

Surely only the act of running making my heart pump faster is the only thing that could cause this?

smiles
03-09-16, 01:45
Sounds like a trapped nerve/ muscle pain, when you run the Impact is felt causing pain/ discomfort.
As for the feeling lightheaded eat regularly to keep your blood sugar up, especially if exercising x

swgrl09
03-09-16, 01:52
I too get this from muscle pain in my chest. It can feel alarming, but if you have been checked out, I wouldn't be worried.

raggamuffin
03-09-16, 03:47
You're fine. You sound like a healthy person and you won't have angina. Angina would prevent you from doing jogging or squash. You simply could not do that if you had a heart condition. A sudden sharp pain is no health condition. Muscle spasms and pain in the chest are anxiety 101. Don't be like me, don't like with 24/7 aches and pains for over 5 years before realising it was all due to anxiety.

Ed

Fishmanpa
03-09-16, 05:34
You're fine. You sound like a healthy person and you won't have angina. Angina would prevent you from doing jogging or squash. You simply could not do that if you had a heart condition. A sudden sharp pain is no health condition. Muscle spasms and pain in the chest are anxiety 101.

Agreed. At 21, there is no chance this is angina. I have angina/heart disease. Two heart attacks, triple bypass and stents. I'm 57 and have kids your age. Nope... not angina nor heart disease. As suggested, costochondritis (very treatable) or just common physical stress due to your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

Alice1
03-09-16, 10:07
Agreed. At 21, there is no chance this is angina. I have angina/heart disease. Two heart attacks, triple bypass and stents. I'm 57 and have kids your age. Nope... not angina nor heart disease. As suggested, costochondritis (very treatable) or just common physical stress due to your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

Ok thank you, I know its probably not and have been trying to convince myself otherwise it was just such a novel situation for me I didn't know what to think. (and I'm in Germany currently so can't just go to the doctor as I would in the UK despite having insurance).

Do you think this sort of pain could happen from the sharp movements of your arms when sprinting? I do have back and side muscular tightness in these areas and am quite imbalanced, which I'm working on? I tried to recreate the movement when standing still but it did not recreate the pain at all.