PDA

View Full Version : Esophagus Cancer worries

worrywart115
03-09-16, 03:36
Hello, all. So for the past 3 (nearing 4) months or so, I've felt like I've been burping a lot more than normal. I've also had this chronic cough that I can't seem to get rid of. I can't stop thinking that I have some sort of problem with my esophagus. I've been to various doctors for the cough and they all believe it has to do with reflux. I had a CT of my lungs a week ago, and everything came back fine (the lung doctor also believed it could be reflux related). I saw my gastro about a month ago, and he wanted me to get a barium swallow done, even though he thinks my burping is just from swallowing too much air. I haven't had time for it yet due to seeing the lung doc, but I'm going to be doing it soon and I'm beyond nervous.

I'm only a 22 year old male, but I still can't shake these fears off. I JUST got an upper endoscopy done in April of 2015. Could something seriously develop in my stomach or esophagus that fast? I feel like I'm losing my mind over this :weep:

Thoughts
03-09-16, 05:18
You have reflux. So do I. It causes wheezing for me. And chronic burping, but I'll admit I swallow a little air to make the next burp more satisfactory. That can bet to be a bit of a cycle.

You do not have gastro-tract cancers at 22. That is nearly statistically impossible. It takes 4 to 6 decades of chronic inflammation for the necessary genetic mutations to occur. You haven't been on earth long enough for that to happen yet.

worrywart115
03-09-16, 09:24
You have reflux. So do I. It causes wheezing for me. And chronic burping, but I'll admit I swallow a little air to make the next burp more satisfactory. That can bet to be a bit of a cycle.

You do not have gastro-tract cancers at 22. That is nearly statistically impossible. It takes 4 to 6 decades of chronic inflammation for the necessary genetic mutations to occur. You haven't been on earth long enough for that to happen yet.

Thank you for the blunt reply. Sometimes being blunt helps, so I appreciate that. I guess sometimes I always think in terms of symptoms rather than statistics and logic (the "anxiety" part of "health anxiety" of course). Still, that does make me feel a bit better knowing that the odds are pretty much swayed all the way in my favor.

Sparkling_Fairy
03-09-16, 21:02
I burped every day, non stop, for 6 months. Even now, the moment I feel under stress the burping starts. Our digestive system is extremely sensitive to anxiety.
Nothing to worry about, just incredibly annoying in public

Smirk
03-09-16, 23:00
Acid reflux will irritate your esophagus causing a tickle chronic cough as well as burping. It's a COMMON issue and I ditto what's already been said. Esophageal cancer at your age is so rare seer cancer stats can't even generate a figure.

Thoughts
04-09-16, 05:07
Glad my candor was not off putting. We all have anxiety here, so I can definitely sympathize with your feelings regarding the statistics.

Here is a little trick I find handy to help make it more concrete. Google random number generator, when prompted enter 100,000, pick a number in your mind between 1 and 100,000, and then generate a random number.

worrywart115
10-09-16, 09:11
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update.

I had a barium swallow exam early this morning. It was surprisingly easier than any other barium test I've had to do. I was a bit freaked out, but the doctor performing the test told me that all he saw was some reflux and a sliding hiatal hernia (which I was aware I had from an endoscopy last year). Needless to say, I'm feeling so much better mentally. Thanks to everyone that replied. The thoughts kept me sane this week as I waited.