PDA

View Full Version : Could antacids like Omeprazole be causing constant panic attacks?

RobinJ123
03-09-16, 14:42
8 months ago, I was on Omeprazole (1 a day) due to my constant acid reflux, taking them I had side effects, lightheadedness feeling kinda anxious. But after finished taking them. A few weeks later I developed fainting sensations pins and needles and chest pains, went to a&e had chest x-rays blood tests, urine tests etc. And was all normal.

For several months I been getting anxiety attacks, (light headed, heart beating fast sensation) they get triggered by stress, feeling hungry lack of sleep hot weather and sometimes no reason at all.

Could this be a side effect of antacids like Omeprazole? And can it last this long?

This months I been getting chest pains and needing to burp and an upset stomach, I told the doctor I was also easily full. Doctor said it's probably anxiety, and has referred me to a therapist. And has prescribed me with omeprazole, since Gaviscon doesn't do anything.

Now after taking them, I feel drowsy achy in my chest and stomach, a very mild one, and the feeling of wind or the tablet being stuck in my chest. My stomach feels bad.
I been reading some bad stories about antacids online, which spooked me a bit.

I have the feeling it isn't that bad, so would it do any harm if I stop taking the antacids for a bit, and re take them if the acid reflux comes back again?

Fishmanpa
03-09-16, 14:49
No, they don't cause panic attacks. They PPIs (Protein Pump Inhibitors) act by reducing the production of stomach acid which is the leading cause of GERD, indigestion and a host of other digestive issues.

Positive thoughts

graham58
06-09-16, 21:01
I agree with Fishmanpa. ;) I'm on Omeprazole (10 mg capsules) and it doesn't cause me to have panic attacks or, as far as I can tell, make my anxiety any worse.