PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting for biopsy results and imagining all sorts...

dorabella
03-09-16, 16:29
I had an ultrasound for PMB on 22 August which didn't show anything particularly untoward, and the consultant took an endo biopsy for some thickening of the womb lining, which he said he didn't expect to show up with anything. Standard back up procedure I'm told in absence of any other indications. Supposed to be 2 or 3 weeks for results.

It will be 2 weeks on Monday and I haven't had anything back yet, and starting to get worried that it is taking so long to hear back. A lot of people's experience seems to be that bad results will be notified quite quickly, but equally I've read that they can be delayed for the same reason.

Finding it very hard to keep a sense of reason and proportion here, and anxiety is wearing me thin. Can anyone offer advice or wisdom to stop me going off the deep end (and keep me away from Dr Google)??

hanshan
03-09-16, 16:55
Negative results can come back quickly because they have been fast-tracked, in turn because the doctor suspects some physical condition. If the doctor has no suspicion of a physical complaint but is merely checking to be sure, you will be slow-tracked - but treat this as a positive sign.

NancyW
03-09-16, 19:00
I had to wait 1 week for my results, I thought I'd go mad in that time.

Mine was for irregular bleeding (7 weeks of it ugh).

I was positive this was really bad.

Endometrial biopsy was normal. Diagnosis: fibroids.

Dr then said "they do that" (meaning bleed)

Mojo61
03-09-16, 19:25
Oh Dorabella I am waiting for my biopsy results for exactly the same thing as you! I had my endometrial biopsy on 10th August and was told 2-3 weeks for the results but I haven't heard a thing and it was 3 weeks on Wednesday.

Like you I was told not to worry because if anything nasty had been found then I would have heard by now, but on another forum it appears that you can wait weeks for the results, bad or good!

Maybe we can support each other as we are both going through exactly the same thing? I also had a small cervical polyp removed at the same time and that has been sent off for histology so I'm panicking about that too

unsure_about_this
03-09-16, 19:30
It will very unlikely in something serious if you are waiting this long.

Whn my auntie had a lump removed she knew the next day she needed treatment could have the even the same day. caught it very very early stage one.

jenni89
03-09-16, 19:47
I had an ultrasound for PMB on 22 August which didn't show anything particularly untoward, and the consultant took an endo biopsy for some thickening of the womb lining, which he said he didn't expect to show up with anything. Standard back up procedure I'm told in absence of any other indications. Supposed to be 2 or 3 weeks for results.

It will be 2 weeks on Monday and I haven't had anything back yet, and starting to get worried that it is taking so long to hear back. A lot of people's experience seems to be that bad results will be notified quite quickly, but equally I've read that they can be delayed for the same reason.

Finding it very hard to keep a sense of reason and proportion here, and anxiety is wearing me thin. Can anyone offer advice or wisdom to stop me going off the deep end (and keep me away from Dr Google)??

Results come back relatively quickly. When my mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, she found out within the week after her endoscopic ultrasound. I'd say that since you have not heard anything, that is great news! Call them after the allotted time to put your mind at ease, sometimes they don't call at all if they do not see anything to be concerned about.

Good luck to you!

dorabella
03-09-16, 20:20
Thanks for all your wisdom and advice -common sense really, but us anxious types never cease to worry about everything and nothing.

Mojo -was wondering if you'd heard anything yet (I saw your previous post and left a reply). The only thing reported on my TVS was a fibroid, and that thickening, which prompted the endo biopsy as a matter of procedure. Consultant said he thought I'd experienced a hormonal 'last hurrah' surge - something which apparently happens a lot in menopause but is rarely acknowledged in anything you read about the subject. Just trying to hold on to his words and not let my imagination run riot.

We're here to support each other - so let us know about yours and I'll report back on mine.

Mojo61
03-09-16, 20:23
Thanks Dorabella, yes I had fibroids too which showed up on the scan. Do you know how thick your lining was? Mine was 8-9mm

I've been post menopausal for 4 years though, but started HRT in Feb and it was in about May that I started bleeding.

dorabella
03-09-16, 20:43
Mojo - mine was 8-9mm too, but I've not been on HRT. Just suddenly felt the old monthly aches and pains after 2 and a half years of meno and bang there it was a light mini P.

Mojo61
03-09-16, 21:54
How odd lol, we are both the same!

NancyW
03-09-16, 23:21
No HRT for me.

dorabella
07-09-16, 19:27
Still no news yet - it was two weeks on Monday just gone. Will give it another week (barring weekends and bank holidays) that makes it the stated 3 weeks.

Mojo - any news for you yet?

Mojo61
02-10-16, 18:40
Dorabella, did you ever get your results? Mine were fine, all normal, I hope yours were too x

dorabella
02-10-16, 20:55
Still haven't had anything officially in writing Mojo - but a week ago after five weeks of waiting, I actually went into the gynae unit and asked them to give me the results.

The Staff Nurse found looked the results up in the computer - all clear - and said she would remind the consultant to get a move on and write to me ... still waiting....well this is the overburdened NHS I suppose.

Thanks for asking Mojo -I read that yours were all clear too.

dally
02-10-16, 23:39
Glad everything was all clear for you ladies.
I had my biopsy taken on fri 30th. My consultant told me he was going on holiday for two weeks. So the soonest I would hear results would be two weeks!

dally
24-10-16, 11:10
Update on my biopsy results. 'Absolutely nothing to worry about' .
Is the verbal confirmation from my consultants secretary. Who, of course cannot tell me the contents of the biopsy report (confidentiality and data protection etc)
But could tell me this.

Either way I am so relieved. X

pulisa
24-10-16, 11:28
Great news, dally!!:Dxx