PDA

View Full Version : Any advice please? Still worried

skymaid
04-09-16, 12:06
still getting worried about withdrawals. in fact I had a panic attack today thinking I might be getting them which is almost ironic.

Since my therapy and coping techniques have improved i'm pretty much down to 4mg every 3-4 days now (sometimes a bit less). I've been on as-and-when 2mg diazepam for 2 months or so now. Never ever day. But the last month has been pretty much solid 4mg x 2 a week.

I had my review with the physc and he says that's a very low does and would take a long time to build up any tolerance/withdrawal given the 3-4 day gaps. And that as I get better from the therapy i'll need to take it less and less anyway. That should reassure me surely?

After not taking any for 4 days I was doing ok. doing my cbt stuff and making progress (actually doing the exposure it a bit too fast which almost led to a panic attack) I woke up this morning feeling a little be shakey. After reading a few horror stories I thought "This must be the start of withdrawal!". I had a nasty taste in mouth too (since id just woke up). Which I also remember reading was a symptom. Also my stomach felt a bit odd. Constipation feeling maybe. Anyway this all convinced me I was about to start getting nasty withdrawal (including vomiting and I'm an emetophobe so my worst nightmare).

Annyoningly I ended up getting myself into a state and took my 4mg diazepam. Obviously all the symptoms went away, I felt fine. dozed off..

So of course I don't know if it was withdrawal or just panic about withdrawal. Kinda ironic that I have my first proper panic attack in a week panicking about diazepam withdrawal.

I don't know what it will take to reassure me but if anyone has any suggestions they'd be welcome

skymaid
05-09-16, 11:06
anyone?

I've had conflicting replies on the anxietyzone board.

And the usual people telling me to take SSRIs despite the fact I said I have
emetophobia so don't dare risk the side effects.

I guess I should just trust the private physchiastrist and gp. Too many horror stories on the internet

Shazamataz
05-09-16, 11:11
I'd say if you are only taking it twice a week you won''t be having withdrawals but are so anxious about it you have given yourself a panic attack.

skymaid
05-09-16, 11:30
thanks.

I think that's probably true.

Elen
05-09-16, 11:35
Sky honey I think it was a panic attack rather than withdrawal.

You are on a very low dose and not taking it constantly either.

Try not to overthink things, easier said than done I know.

See you later no doubt

skymaid
05-09-16, 12:05
yep thanks I think you're right.

Google is so full of horror stories. Not sure why I read any of that rather than listen to the physc who charged me a fortune.