PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I have a brain tumour (long post sorry)

Fyrefly
05-09-16, 02:46
Hello everyone.
This is my second time posting here, albeit this time under a different name because I forgot my old account details.

This time around I think I have brain cancer, something I see is a recurring issue people with anxiety seem to have. I am seeing a doctor soon after having to insist to my parents that I really need too, but I'd like some outside perspective on whether that's really necessary.

My symptoms:
- Persistent tension-style headache (specifically a feeling of fullness towards the back of my head/neck, sometimes it migrates to my nasal area, it's not pain just a feeling of fullness)
- Worsened tinnitus (seems to be more at night)
- Vision seems to have become 'foggy' (I also now am overly obsessed with cleaning my glasses)
- IBS-style stomach issues (I haven't been diagnosed with IBS but that's what I'd assume this is)
- Potentially an enlarged lymph node underneath my left ear, I can't really tell though.
- Tired
- Stages of light headedness (particularly when in a car??)
- Light sensitivity (when I went outside everything just seemed weird, it's hard to explain really but it felt darker or less in focus, like the way the world looks when you are nauseous)

I haven't had a particularly bad panic attack recently, only an increased heart rate when reading through brain cancer symptoms. My headache also seems to have been steadily going away, but with that going I just seem to focus more and more on my vision.

More background on my personal habits might help explain some of these issues too, I stopped going to the gym after returning from holiday in favour of only playing video games, recently I've been playing WoW for probably 8-12 hours straight everyday in a dark room with two monitors. Despite all the blatant evidence that this is what's screwing with my eyes, I can't shake the fact that it's related to brain cancer, of all things!

Also I sleep around 6-9 hours, I try to eat healthy and I have had no change in weight (63kg at 5'11) so again I am not in any high risk categories for such a disease. I also have no personality change, numbness or seizures, and still I cannot convince myself for more then a few seconds that I do not have a deadly disease.

So TL;DR, I have some symptoms which vaguely link to brain cancer, do they warrant such a fear?

glassgirlw
05-09-16, 04:53
I am no doctor...but I would say your light and vision issues are due to prolonged periods of computer monitor viewing in the dark. I get that way after playing my PS4 in the daylight for an hour!! So much worse on your eyes in the dark. Can also cause your headaches, especially when your eyes are being overworked like they are. Eye strain will also make you tired.

IBS issues could very well be tied to the anxiety you're working towards thinking you have a brain tumor and reading up on the symptoms. Don't do that....will only make your anxiety worse, speaking from experience lol!

Tinnitus....I have that regularly. Nothing to worry about there. It's harmless.

I think the doc visit is a great idea. Not for a brain tumor, but to get help for your anxiety.

Mrschurchill
05-09-16, 12:10
I'm pretty sure I could tick off all of those symptoms that you have - even down to the IBS issues. If you read my previous posts I to have a very similar fear! xx

heyitsmeyou
06-09-16, 09:29
Not even remotely. Its stress/anxiety.

oceanscape
06-09-16, 10:06
How long have you been having these issues? I have a lot of the same symptoms too, and the description of your headaches sounds exactly like mine (Persistent tension-style headache (specifically a feeling of fullness towards the back of my head/neck, sometimes it migrates to my nasal area, it's not pain just a feeling of fullness) - could not have put it better myself. You may have seen my similar thread further down the same forum page.

How long have you been having the headaches? It's been 2 weeks for me which is why I am so worried. I'm not even going through a particularly anxious/stressful time so it's really worrying that these headaches have lasted so long without any end in sight.

helenclaire
06-09-16, 14:23
I get all those symptoms as well plus dizziness.

I have had it for months, I have spent a lot of time worrying about it which has probably caused it to continue for so long.

Brain tumour was my big fear but pretty sure I wouldn't be typing on here if it was as surely by now I would not be able to function properly and other people would start noticing.

Although most days are a struggle I am still managing to work etc...
Try accepting its anxiety and work on that.
Good luck:shrug:

Fyrefly
09-09-16, 00:04
Well I went to the opticians to check for swelling at the back of my eye, and after about 5 minutes I was told that my eyes are completely healthy with no swelling at all to indicate brain cancer. My headaches have also died away recently, so I would honestly say that if you have been experiencing the same thing I was then it is more highly likely it is anxiety based, if you want to be sure just go to your opticians!

Thanks a lot for the replies.

heyitsmeyou
09-09-16, 10:03
Glad to hear it (:

jimmyj
23-09-16, 16:42
Hi Firefly have exactly same symptoms about headache how long does it last for Ive had its over a month and worried when you read scare stories about permanent headaches !