PDA

View Full Version : Anxious for no obvious reason

helenhoo
05-09-16, 11:42
I'm getting there.

But I still feel anxious for no obvious reason. I feel the need to check. To google. To scan my body. Am I feeling ok? Yes. Am I sure? yes. But my mind is still looking for things wrong. How can I beat this feeling? I feel in edge in a way looking for a new symptom. A part of me still wonders if I should worry about schizophrenia pah.

Mrschurchill
05-09-16, 12:00
If I am not worried about something - I literally ask myself 'Why haven't I got something to worry about?' and then usually start looking for something to worry about! I feel anxious if I'm not anxious lol It's so silly!

skymaid
05-09-16, 12:08
I'm the same. I feel pretty much fine today.

But i'm almost looking for something to worry about, a symptom will come along sooner or later.

My head feels a bit weird in fact. Is that a heatache coming on??

axolotl
05-09-16, 12:22
It sounds like you need to talk to someone professional about your anxiety other than trawling forums. I'm not sure what you want people to say to this? It sounds like you're getting anxiety about anxiety, which is a loop you need someone professional to get you out of.

Write a list of all the things you've worried yourself over that proved to be nothing. Long isn't it? What's the biggest chance now - the new thing you're worrying about is just one more thing to add to the list, or you have a very rare illness? I know the nature of anxiety is not to think logically but you have to try and let logic seep in. But it sounds like you're in a bit deeper than just worrying about symptoms, but looking for things to be wrong, which is why I think you need to talk to a professional, not random people on the internet.

skymaid
05-09-16, 12:28
I realise you're answering helen but what you say is very true.

In my therapy is seems that my anxiety is being fed by my feeling a lack of any point to my life (just a theory for now which i'm going to explorer more).

But anyway the therapist said that anxiety is usually a sign of some underlying insecurity or unhappiness about some area of your life.

Colicab85
05-09-16, 12:49
I know it sounds mad but in my opinion, this has been a really important step in my "recovery".

I have been generally anxious for a few weeks now and have been feeling better.

I am starting to realise that I have nothing to be anxious about and am feeling a lot better symptoms wise.

helenhoo
05-09-16, 13:46
Lol I was even worried that I've been relaxed enough to head bop to music in shower/bus/work ha. My boyfriend is like it's because you're happier. I however wonder if I'm losing my marbles 😂

swgrl09
05-09-16, 14:21
Helenhoo, sounds like you are working really hard! This is all part of the process. Your mind is used to searching for symptoms, so it will feel odd and strange to not have something to worry about. That's alright! It's all part of the process of changing how you think.

helenhoo
05-09-16, 15:00
Thank you.

Primula
05-09-16, 16:25
You are improving Helen. This is what recovery feels like. It takes quite a while for your nervous system to calm down. It feels strange when you have nothing to worry about,but this is all normal. Don't be dismayed if you do have little blips, just keep doing what youv've been doing to recover. Practise, practise, practise, until it's automatic!!

If you haven't already, you may find you are ready to try this http://www.get.gg/thoughtchallenge.htm

helenhoo
06-09-16, 07:53
Thank you.

I had a point second of blurred vision yesterday but I was staring blankly at my computer screen- I bought it back myself (is this normal or 'blurred vision') and I have been worrying about darn phantom smells again BUT using logic. Could smell something on the bus the other day but the windows were open and the air con was on & when I smelt inside my coat and it disappeared. I also remember someone saying phantom smells are very strong.

Colicab85
06-09-16, 09:26
A phantom smell is a smell that doesnt go away regardless of location, if this smell disappeared when you smelt inside your coat then it isnt a phantom smell :)

helenhoo
06-09-16, 10:20
Thanks

Last night i could smell dust and musty smell and was thinking oh dear here we go again. My boyfriends jacket smelt musty as did the train seats (yes I whiffed them). It followed me home until I left my chap so perhaps it was his coat. Really really don't want/need to be worried about these again...

helenhoo
06-09-16, 10:47
And Dan said he could smell it too!

Gary A
06-09-16, 11:34
Thanks

Last night i could smell dust and musty smell and was thinking oh dear here we go again. My boyfriends jacket smelt musty as did the train seats (yes I whiffed them). It followed me home until I left my chap so perhaps it was his coat. Really really don't want/need to be worried about these again...

What have I told you before about these so called phantom smells? If they really were phantom smells associated with siezure activity, they would be completely overpowering. It is not a "whiff" or a faint odour or a "hey, did you just smell that" type of thing, they are utterly pungent odours that completely dominate your sense of smell for anywhere up to five minutes.

You cannot smell anything other than these smells during these episodes as the olfactory region of the brain is misfiring. Your nose, at this point, is essentially useless because it's the reciever that's faulty, not the messenger.

Please try to understand that olfactory hallucinations, or, as you call them "phantom smells", are not in any way subtle. They utterly dominate your sense of smell until the misfiring olfactory region returns to normal. Please try to take what I've written and lock it into your brain, do not start worrying over something that quite categorically IS NOT happening to you!

helenhoo
06-09-16, 11:41
Thanks Gary, you were who I was refferring to.

It was literally in the cinema, smelt musty after a big sniff then the smell followed me home. I sniffed bfs jacket; musty. Sniffed train seat (yeah, weird) musty. My boyfriend said please don't start this again.

In bed I had stuffy nose and sore throat and smelt something weird but this is sinus related right? I'm not going back there! I've been doing well (ish)

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

And the fact I'm sniffing to smell it. I've had whiffs of things that I walk past and use logic to get over this. Like it wouldn't last a 0. Of a second

Gary A
06-09-16, 11:47
Thanks Gary, you were who I was refferring to.

It was literally in the cinema, smelt musty after a big sniff then the smell followed me home. I sniffed bfs jacket; musty. Sniffed train seat (yeah, weird) musty. My boyfriend said please don't start this again.

In bed I had stuffy nose and sore throat and smelt something weird but this is sinus related right? I'm not going back there! I've been doing well (ish)

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

And the fact I'm sniffing to smell it. I've had whiffs of things that I walk past and use logic to get over this. Like it wouldn't last a 0. Of a second

What you need to realise is that actual "phantom smells" are almost always really unpleasant smells. Like rotting garbage or burning rubber. It would last anywhere between 30 seconds and five minutes. During this time you would be completely unable to smell anything else, and of course, nobody else would smell it.

Stop this, seriously. You are not suffering olfactory hallucinations, I am 100% certain of it.