PDA

View Full Version : Sciatica(?) and a general moan about HA

StrangeQuark
05-09-16, 11:57
I’m not really sure what I’m looking for with this post, I guess just a place to vent where people will understand what I’m going through. Sorry, this is long.

For the last month or so I’ve been suffering with “sciatica.” It’s undiagnosed but the symptoms seem to fit: a pain and burning sensation from my left buttock down my left leg, worse at night and bad enough to keep me awake. Over the last few weeks I developed various other symptoms: pelvic pain, a feeling of bladder fullness, pain in groin etc. and also became constipated. Because of my history with HA I put off going to the doctor to see if it would all pass on its own.

However, last week, during another sleepless night due to the pain I also developed a cold/sore throat so in the morning I caved and made an appointment. When I saw the doctor, as soon as he heard I hadn’t had a bowel movement in nearly a week he said this was the cause of all my trouble, even though the “sciatica” had started a month ago. He prescribed me laxatives and sent me on my way. Over the weekend the laxatives worked and I had a bowel movement. But the “sciatica” remains.

Last night I was once again awake until about 5.30 am with extreme pain in my leg. I am trying so hard to convince myself it’s sciatica but, I think partly because of the various other symptoms and partly because I’m so tired, my HA is running rampant. I keep thinking it must be something more serious. I looked up ways to relieve sciatica and while reading up on it saw something saying that leg/bag pain that’s worse at night is a big red flag symptom. So, of course, I’m now certain I’ve got advanced cancer, though I’ve also considered MS and the circulation in my leg being cut off by narrowed arteries.

The pain in my leg is definitely real. It is extreme enough, and has gone one for so long, that I don’t think I can chalk it up to anxiety. I am now however also experiencing a heap of other symptoms and I can’t tell if they’re anxiety related or because there’s something actually “wrong” with me.

So you all know how it goes. I’m now absolutely terrified that there’s something serious wrong. I’m trying to talk myself down but my mind keeps going back to the worst case scenarios and I spent about an hour last night crying because I was so sure I’m dying. I know I need to go back to the doctor about the pain but I also have Jury Duty this week and they’ve refused to excuse me! So I can’t make an appointment until Jury Duty is over and I’m just really struggling to cope right now. I’m in work, trying to function on an hour of sleep and I feel like breaking down.

Health anxiety sucks. I know there’s not really anything you guys can do and it’s up to me to work through it but just typing this out has helped a wee bit. I also know it’s not good to use this place to seek reassurance but maybe if anyone else has suffered from sciatica you could tell me whether my symptoms seem normal?

Take care everyone and thanks to those of you who have taken the time to read this.

saf138
05-09-16, 13:20
Hello

I can relate to what you are going through since I have suffered with slipped discs and sciatica for the last 10 years and I can honestly say that what you are describing sounds like classical sciatica. Can I just ask have you done any kind of rigorous movement to set it off? Like a hobby or maybe weightlifting? When I had it the first time I was bed ridden for a week I couldn't stand straight I could only slide my feet across the floor stepping a few inches at a time and the pain is something unimaginable the pain alone lasted for about a month or more I can also confirm the pelvic pain is part of the parcel too and that can be pretty chronic it feels like a stabbing pain which comes and goes. Is it possible for you to stand straight in front of a body length mirror and check to see if your upper body is slanted to the side? Its not a pleasing sight at all but that also indicates sciatica since your body will unconsciously shift your spine to take the pressure of the compressed sciatic nerve. In 10 years I've had it maybe 10-12 times and I've never worried about about it ive also learnt the best way to treat it is to keep moving as much as you can and try to ride it out.
All the best.

Oh one more thing the reason its more painful at night is possibly because as your body winds done to go to sleep and you are less occupied about your daily affairs you will start to focus more on the pain which will elevate the soreness its natural.