PDA

View Full Version : Drove To Work Alone - 1st Time In Months

Mermaid16
06-09-16, 03:12
Well, I had a little success this morning. Since my anxiety has reared its ugly head again a few months ago, the one thing that I really struggle with is driving alone and/or driving alone with kids in the car. I am okay if I have another competent adult in the car who can take over should I have a Seizure or Faint. My anxiety and panic resolves around this issue. In any case, my partner couldn't bring me to work today, so I was forced to drive by myself. I work 45 minutes away from home. It wasn't easy, but I did it. I have a blood pressure monitor (as I think I am going to faint because of low blood pressure). Even though I don't have low blood pressure. Anyhow, I pulled over and took my blood pressure just before I was about to get on the motor way. My pulse was 100 beats per minute (I was feeling very panicky at this time). I was so tempted to turn around and go home, once I was over half way and felt calmer, I again pulled over and took my blood pressure. My pulse was then at 70 beats per minute. Was a little embarrassed when I got to work, because everyone congratulated my on driving in on my own. It felt really great to have achieved it, and although I had a panic attack on the way, I still made it. It has given me some of my confidence back which is a start, so I hope I can continue to be brave. My next challenge will be dropping my kids to school. This is approximately 30 minutes drive on the motorway. I will have to work up to this one I think. I think when I think about what is happening now instead of thinking about what 'might' happen, I cope so much better.

js1803
06-09-16, 03:39
Why do you have a blood pressure monitor if you don't have low blood pressure?

Your monitor is feeding into your anxiety.

I'm happy you made it to your job, but I think next time, try driving without the monitor. It's not going to prevent you from fainting if you were to ever faint or have a seizure.

Mermaid16
06-09-16, 03:57
Yeah...I should really move this thread to 'Unsuccessful Stories' where is that heading???

js1803
06-09-16, 04:10
Yeah...I should really move this thread to 'Unsuccessful Stories' where is that heading???

Well, you made it to your job, so that was a success!

Carnation
06-09-16, 10:02
I really have to praise you Mermaid for this accomplishment.

As a fellow scared driver or NOT driver in my case now, I know how difficult this is to achieve. I can do a ten minute drive, but as for a long one, especially on my own, well, I have yet to master that. So, you deserve mountains of praise for what you did. x

Sometimes a situation can give us that kick we need and maybe we should not doubt our capabilities.

Mermaid16
06-09-16, 12:17
Hi Carnation. Thank you for your kind words. It was difficult and I am already dreading having to do it again. It gets hard, my family get frustrated with me because they think I don't want to do it, but sometimes I feel like I can't do it. I get absolutely petrified that I am going to faint from the panic attack while I'm driving. I have tried some techniques, deep breathing really seemed to help this morning when I felt my pulse was racing and it calmed me down some. It is hard to think of anything really when you are in that panicked state. Do you take any medication for anxiety or use and relaxation techniques. Thanks again. Tracy x

Carnation
06-09-16, 12:22
No, I am Med free. Another phobia of mine :D

I gave up doing the normal breathing techniques of in 5 and out 7 or variations of that when I am in panic mode, because I found it made me more panicky and made me feel light-headed. So I do these long exhales or just breath through the nose. I also try to sing, because someone told me that if you can sing, then you are not having a HA. I also talk to myself a lot. :D

swgrl09
07-09-16, 01:08
Well done :)

skymaid
07-09-16, 02:13
Well done!

Each time you do it should be easier now you know you can.

If you need the heart monitor thing for now, so what.. I carry a bottle of water everywhere with because of my worries. We sometimes need our little crutches to make progress

Shazamataz
07-09-16, 02:58
No, I am Med free. Another phobia of mine :D

I gave up doing the normal breathing techniques of in 5 and out 7 or variations of that when I am in panic mode, because I found it made me more panicky and made me feel light-headed. So I do these long exhales or just breath through the nose. I also try to sing, because someone told me that if you can sing, then you are not having a HA. I also talk to myself a lot. :D

Singing in the car really helps me too! I think it's because if you sing you are breathing better?

dale12345
07-09-16, 03:40
Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Mermaid16
07-09-16, 05:59
Thanks everyone!!! I really do appreciate your support :bighug:

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Singing in the car really helps me too! I think it's because if you sing you are breathing better?

Will try the singing shaz (might have to give my kids some earphones :winks:). How are you doing?

Shazamataz
07-09-16, 07:04
Hi Tracy, actually feeling more myself the past couple of days. No anxiety but still very fatigued but I'd rather have fatigue than severe anxiety!

I've had months on and off with problems in the car. Seem to be okay at the moment but I don't have to do distances like you do! Across the other side of town here takes me about 18 minutes and I don't have to use motorways or anything. I'm certainly not up to a big drive so you've done well to do it!

Singing does help. Maybe sing something WITH the kids?