PDA

View Full Version : Tinnitus anyone?

Desimal
06-09-16, 09:49
One of the major things that contributes in my anxiety is this constant ringing in my ears. I had it since i was a little kid but it was merely a nuisance when i was trying to sleep in total silence, i was able to hear it only when i actually thought about it. After a very stressfull incident involving a death of a loved one the ringing went through the roof and i believe it actually sparked my whole anxiety disorder.

Fast forward 2 years later i can say i am in a better place anxiety wise, i have learned what anxiety is and that it can not actually harm me i havent had an episode of depersonalization in months whitch feels great considering i was always in this state when my whole struggle started. If you check my post history you will see that i also suffered by a "condition" that made my vision staticky/grainy (like small tv static in an old tv) especially when i was in a dark room or looking at the night sky. Well, with the help of some members here i realised that this is normal and my anxiety was getting the best of me making it much more noticable when normally, my brain would fitler it out.

I honestly believe the only thing that keeps me back and keeps the anxiety circle going is my fear of this ringing getting louder and that i may not be able to cope with it. It has pretty much taken over my life, i doen't let me relax after a hard day at work, it has destroyed my ability to concentrate on my studies and in general makes me afraid of going anywhere remotely loud because i fear it might get worse after reading so many horror stories on the net...

It is a bit dissapointing that i let something like this hold back my life considering the fact that i always had it and it didn't pose any serious problem, i could always put it in the back of my mind and even if i heard it i wouldn't cause me any panic and anxiety but now even when i don't hear it my thought are always around this and when i do hear it it causes me much distress. Does any of you have this constant ringing in your ears? Does it stop you from living your life? Any support is welcome.

Buster70
06-09-16, 11:02
Hi , all the love long day , at night it's more obvious and when I'm stressed it definitely gets worse , I have an app on an old phone that plays the sound of rain it helps distract me from it when I try to get to sleep , it never goes completely but sometimes i don't notice it , don't have a cure but millions of people live with it , take care .

hanshan
06-09-16, 13:05
Hi Desimal,

I have tinnitus - not just one sound, but several kinds of ringing and whistling in stereo sound, no less. Generally, I'm most aware of it when I am alone in a quiet place. I don't have tinnitus when I am in the shower! (Or surprisingly, when I am dreaming, as it comes back to me when I wake out of a dream).

It's really hard for an anxiety sufferer to live with tinnitus, as the two seem to make each other worse, and I've been down that road. Nevertheless, I've been able to learn to live with tinnitus and actually tune it out for much of the day, at the same time as I got a handle on my anxiety.

Basically, you have to accept it when you can hear it, but know that there are ways and times when you can tune it out or not hear it for a time.

lotusblossom
06-09-16, 19:15
yes mine is a loud hissing noise this is a new one for me started 3 weeks ago can not concentrate on anything drives me mad I am waiting for it to appear and because of this I think thatI bring it on must try harder to distract myself

Desimal
26-09-16, 20:08
Thanks for your answers everybody! I know what you mean by saying that there will be times that i wont notice it because before all this started i could easily push it in the backround and even though it was still there i didn't notice it unless i focused on it. The problem is i have lost this ability and surely the horror stories i have read have made it something scary that fires off my internal alarm.

Do you still go to somewhat noisy places like cinemas or bars pubs? I never had a problem with such places (i don't like super noisy places like clubs and gigs anyway) but since reading that the ringing can get worse with noise i have become a little paranoid about loud noise.

whatisthis
28-09-16, 16:20
Yes I have become anxious about loud places so I bought some alpine ear plugs. If I feel its a bit too loud or my anxiety rising I pop them in. I have been to a few gigs (at the back) cinema and to some bars. Its about being sensible now, my friend doesn't listen and always forgets her ear plugs but she doesn't get worked up about her tinnitus.

I also did read horror stories which is the worst thing I can do for me. I try to think whatever problem/illness is on the internet is usually horror stories.

I've found after nearly 6 months I've accepted it, I try to see the hissing as releaxing white noise (taking its time)

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Try some of the tinnitus apps on the phones. I have one that tunes out the hissing and I could relax when it was bad.

AlwaysOnEdge
14-12-16, 10:37
How did you have this diagnosed? I've had a low level buzzing/ some type of sound since Saturday night.

What did the doctor say about it?