PDA

View Full Version : Mouth anxiety

Soricha
06-09-16, 11:38
Hi, this is my first post.

It started with 3 teeny ulcers on the side of my mouth just inside my lip, they are really small and burn on and off. I've had the odd ulcer before on my tongue etc but they have always disappeared after a few days. These ones have been there for nearly two weeks now which has totally freaked me out and have caused me to investigate my mouth further.....stupid thing to do as I then found a small blood bubble/mole?! On the floor of my mouth under my tongue. It's hard to describe, kinda browny red and if I press on it the color fades away. As well as that I noticed that one of the sides of under my tongue (either side of that line thingy) is bigger than the other.

Now my brain is driving me mad, jumping from each one of these problems to the next and thinking the worst!
I am 34 & a smoker- 2 or 3 a day and I am terrified that I've got cancer. I know that the smoking needs to stop or I'll never have piece of mind. I have been suffering with anxiety for a couple of years now.

I'm not sure what I am expecting here as only a doctor or dentist can tell me if its anything to worry about but I just needed to unload my fears.

Thanks for reading.

hanshan
06-09-16, 12:31
Hi Soricha,

Welcome to NMP.

As you say, only a doctor or a dentist can give a medical opinion, and remember they can actually see what you are describing. However, the dark lump that you describe sounds like a blood blister (particularly if it fades under pressure). Ordinary mouth ulcers can last from one week to several weeks, so two weeks is not unusual.

Perhaps you should make an appointment with your doctor where you bring the whole mouth/smoking/anxiety thing together, and work out a plan forward, as it's clearly causing you to add to the anxiety spiral.

Soricha
06-09-16, 13:26
Thanks for the reply Hanshan,

It's such a relief to put it out there, something I've not done before! I think you are right, I do need to deal with the whole situation but even going to the doctor gives me anxiety- ridiculous I know! Something has to give though as I am exhausted with the worry and fed up of the whole vicious circle that anxiety brings.

Thanks again :-)