PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying

Shelley77
07-09-16, 17:49
Hello... I'm in a severe anxiety and panic state right now. I have my first ever flight coming up on Saturday from New York to California to meet my son as he returns from a seven month Marine military deployment.

I have not seen him in 10 months and he is very very excited for my husband and myself to come and spend a whole week with him

I'm terrified of everything concerned with flying. Terrorism, turbulence, birds, engine failure, etc. I fear not being in control.

I get the statistics. I'm a very intelligent person and know the real dangers in driving versus flying but in no way does that help me.

I am sitting here and I'm sick to my stomach with diarrhea and stomach cramps and foggy head and blurry vision and I'm 99% positive this is all anxiety because I have not stopped thinking about this for weeks and now it's only three days away and I feel like I'm getting worse

I have some Xanax but I just don't think that is going to be enough to control me. I have downloaded some new music and some comedy skits that I have not yet listen to so they will be fresh and hopefully divert some attention but I'm just so paralyzingly scared

Phuzella
07-09-16, 20:38
I flew to Asia on my own for my son's wedding. Two 5 hour flights there and the same back home 5 days later. I was scared but I went anyway. How long is your flight

Shelley77
07-09-16, 21:33
My first flight is two hours and 15 minutes to my second flight is 4 1/2 hours

I have just never been so scared of anything in my life that all I can eat and keep down right now is crackers and ginger ale. I mean I'm not vomiting but ..

Phuzella
07-09-16, 22:02
I was terrified but the thought of it is actually much worse than the flight itself. I watched films on the in flight entertainment system. Maybe tell the cabin crew you're nervous? Think how proud of yourself you'll be when you've done it :)

Shelley77
08-09-16, 00:16
Thank you so much. I'm trying so hard to be tough for my son.
I'm praying so hard through all this!!

Lexilou
08-09-16, 03:57
You'll have your husband with you so that should help and you know in your brain that it'll be OK. Try to relax, easier said than done, I know, and just think how wonderful it will be to see your son. Please thank him for his service

Lily83
08-09-16, 13:03
I always get anxious during take off. It like I believe the plane won't be able to carry all of us. Once we are in the air I'm fine, except when there's turbulence.