PDA

View Full Version : was nt expecting that..... lump scare

gothic_rose
07-09-16, 21:01
hiya all

well Im usually a heart attack/chest pain worrier. And I have conformed HA but it always been related to heart disease/angina etc But not today!

Ive been under the weather since the weekend....bit of a virus or cold, the usual suspects, headache, sore throat, sneezing, slight temp, body aches etc. Nothing major..

Monday I noticed a lump/swelling in my left arm. well inside my elbow actually just above the crease and to the right, round, rubbery, about the size of a small strawberry. Did nt hurt unless I prodded it. Then later on noticed another lump in the exact same place but on my right arm. Above the crease but to the left this time. A bit smaller.

I presumed swollen gland due to my cold. Blood clot also crossed my mind but tried to ignore that niggle. Called GP, they were quite dismissive said not to worry about it unless lumps hurt or got bigger. Well today they got bigger, I asked the pharmacist to take a look as I was there anyway getting something for my daughters mouth ulcers and they were "Thats really odd call the dr today" So I did.

different dr that saw me was quite taken aback. she said its very unusual to have significant lymph node swellings on one elbow let alone 2. In the EXACT same place on each arm. I have to have blood tests as swelling here can sometimes "mean something more nasty". I have the word urgent stamped on the form and she wants the tests done tomorrow and result by friday. I was nt worried untill I saw the words" lymphoma?" and lymphoduopathy (sp) scribbled in the comments box. The glands in my neck are also raised and sore but I would expect this with a cold/virus

I am determined not to think or worry about this until I get the results. My daughter has also been feeling off colour with sore throat and cough this week so I would like to say Im pretty sure I have nothing to worry about. Im just feeling a little anxiety right now. Thoughts anyone?

Captain irrational
07-09-16, 21:30
Sounds much more like some kind of infection than lymphoma, which usually develops over a much longer period of time, not in just a few days.

At least you are being seen to quickly and will soon have answers. Let us know how it goes and stay positive.

smiles
08-09-16, 11:07
[QUOTE=Captain irrational;1592243]Sounds much more like some kind of infection than lymphoma, which usually develops over a much longer period of time, not in just a few days.

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

This must be worring you loads, please try to accept that the Dr is doing a referral as a precaution.
I went to my Dr last week with swallowing problems, I was referred on an emergency referral for an endoscopy, with concerns for eosaphageal cancer. four days later I have had an endoscopy, and all is fine.
Sounds like you all have colds etc at the moment, the same virus can cause different symptoms in different people.
Stay strong lovely and try to relax... And keep well away from Google!!! X

gothic_rose
09-09-16, 09:11
thanks guys

yesterday was an ordeal. I had the blood test. during it the nurse asked what it was for. I said the lumps in my arm, She pointed to my left bicep and said "what this one?" confused I pointed to the ones in my elbows and replied "no these"

after the test I had to collect my children so did nt really give her comments a thought. but back home I remembered, looked at my arm and lo and behold I have another much larger swelling on my upper inside arm about 5 inches higher then the elbow lump around my bicep. about the size of my fist in circumference and it aches.

anxiety got the better of me. I called the gp who said to come straight back.

A different dr. this one said the elbow lumps are a sign of infection and the swelling in my upper arm is muscular and to keep an eye on all of them.

I am not worried about cancer. The word lymphomia on the paperwork shocked me but Im not overly worried. I am however terrified of blood clots, DVTS and PE. The dr said it did nt look like one but to watch out for symptoms.

Aside from the swellings and achy arm I have chest pain and a cough. Chest pain from anxiety (get it a lot, a main symptom for me) and cough from my cold I know but all together these things can be signs of what Im afraid of so anxiety is taking over slowly but surely. And I have nt googled, but DVT and PE is something Ive been tested for before during pregnancy complications which is probably where my fear has come from.

Its just been a really hard week. My son has started school this week, and now hes just hit his head and has to go the dr to be checked out. I dont feel well, my daughter feels poorly, my husband is away and Im just frightened.

Thanks for reading x