PDA

View Full Version : Any nausea/survival tips first few weeks?

JR35
09-09-16, 16:34
I've just started back on Citalopram, day 7 today at 5mg (I've never managed higher than 10mg and it worked well for me) I started the cit in January after being off it for 6 months and the side effects were so bad I was switched to mirtazapine 15mg. It was great for a few months then I started with panic and anxiety again in July. I tried to work through it but after 7 weeks of no improvement I was put on Citalopram again the theory being that it worked well before so should again. But the nausea is awful, all day everyday. I'm forcing down food when I can but now I feel wiped out with lack of food.
I just wondered if anyone had any survival tips for this bit, I really want to push through and get past this nausea, my family see me having all these side effects and ask me if I should carry on with the citalopram, it's hard to explain to them how these SSRI's can make things worse before better...
If I can get through this awful nausea I'm never coming off the cit ever again!!!!

Debs21uk
09-09-16, 20:14
Hi,

I never had nausea but I went off food completely for a couple of weeks. It does ease off but I did lose some weight and could only really face soup or something light. Try little things but often.

Hang in there x

Katy_o
09-09-16, 20:27
Sorry to hear you're having these side effects. Whilst I've never taken Citalopram myself, I have and do suffer from frequent boughts of awful nausea. I find sipping ginger beer really helpful. Might be worth a try?

JR35
09-09-16, 20:41
Thanks both for your replies, I will send my husband out for ginger beer tomorrow!!

dale12345
10-09-16, 00:46
They have ginger tea too, I have only tried the tea it helps some. Good old saltine crackers can help too.