PDA

View Full Version : Been diagnosed with sciatica.. but not convinced it is that :(

little.miss.worry
09-09-16, 20:34
So, I went to the doctors today because i've been having problems with pelvic pain again. It hurts my groin (both) and above the groin I have a weird tingly/tickling sensation with the occasional back pain. I explained all this and the doctor said it's sciatica but.. I googled (bad I know) and now i'm worried it's not sciatica but pelvic inflammatory..

But, my symptoms constantly come and go. I'm just so worried. Anyone with sciatica have similar symptoms to me at all??

Captain irrational
09-09-16, 20:54
Your doctor has spent many years of his life studying and practicing medicine. You have done a few minutes of searching on Google, probably in a state of anxiety and panic. Who do you think is in a better position to make an accurate diagnosis? Trust your doctor. The symptoms you describe sound very much like sciatica.

And for the record, pelvic inflammatory disease is nearly always caused by sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia. So unless you have contracted one those diseases (and I'm sure a lovely and respectable young lady such as yourself has not), it's almost certainly not PID.

little.miss.worry
09-09-16, 21:44
Your doctor has spent many years of his life studying and practicing medicine. You have done a few minutes of searching on Google, probably in a state of anxiety and panic. Who do you think is in a better position to make an accurate diagnosis? Trust your doctor. The symptoms you describe sound very much like sciatica.

And for the record, pelvic inflammatory disease is nearly always caused by sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia. So unless you have contracted one those diseases (and I'm sure a lovely and respectable young lady such as yourself has not), it's almost certainly not PID.

I know, it's just I tend to make silly irrational things up in my mind, sadly..and it just escalates :(

And gosh no, I haven't, so PID is outa the question :roflmao:

Captain irrational
09-09-16, 23:13
I know, it's just I tend to make silly irrational things up in my mind, sadly..and it just escalates :(

Don't beat yourself up about it, I have done the same thing so, so many times. Where do you think my username came from? :D

little.miss.worry
10-09-16, 16:08
Don't beat yourself up about it, I have done the same thing so, so many times. Where do you think my username came from? :D

You do have a very good point there!! :roflmao::roflmao:

georgewing
11-09-16, 18:16
Well the doctor its pecialized in medicine and knows what he saying ,the fact its something else starts from your anxiety maybe and you shouldnt consult google a doctor its more specialized than google

Lily777
18-09-16, 22:00
Hi, i've suffered from pelvic and back pain for the past two years! I had an MRI on my back and it showed nothing unusual, it just ended up being from having poor posture. Once I started paying attention to how I was sitting and how often, my back pain resolved itself. As for the pelvic pain, I had a CT scan and I have ovarian cysts. I can feel everything in my cycle from when i ovulate to when my body forms a corpus luteum. I think we health anxiety sufferers tune in to every change our body has. Perhaps see if your posture is contributing to your back pain, and maybe you have harmless cysts that are causing pelvic pain! Perhaps go for an ultrasound or see an OBGYN? :hugs:

sarahsarah
18-09-16, 22:52
I agree with everyone else- your doctor knows sciatica when he or she sees it. It's a very common complaint (I've had it and you have my utmost sympathy).

If it helps, have a free chlamydia and gonorrhoea test. You request a test on the internet, do it at home (it's just a urine sample), send it off in the post and they text you the results in a few days. Much easier and less stressful than doing it at a clinic in person. Google 'ruclear' for details.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you suspect you might have contracted it, it is a simple way to rule some things out that are clearly worrying you. You know yourself if this would help or would actually just shift your focus onto other things. If you honestly think this would help convince you that your doc is right then do it.

Mercime
19-09-16, 00:05
Just felt the need to say something to Captain Irrational, sorry for sidetracking the thread a second.
Perfectly lovely and respectable women are not immune from std's, neither are perfectly respectable men. It is a fallacy to make out that only immoral and promiscuous women - which is what your comment suggests - are susceptible. The immoral ones are the partners who do sleep around, and leave partners with the fallout.