PDA

View Full Version : Mini stroke?

ballerina
10-09-16, 19:27
So I am 100% aware that I have anxiety and it is a problem severely affecting my life. I was sent home from work the other night completely unable to function. I will be finding out about some counselling on monday.

But I had a really scary turn around 20 minutes ago, I was getting off the train after work when suddenly the right side of my face and my right arm went numb, not like pins and needles or pain like I have had for a long time with anxiety, but completely numb. A panic bomb dropped on my head and I instantly thought 'stroke'. I know it wasn't a full blown stroke because untreated I wouldn't be sitting here typing. But scared it could have been a mini stroke. I carried on walking and could use my legs fine. I smiled into my phone camera and it seemed normal. I stretched my arms upwards and that was ok. I even pretended to be on the phone to see what my voice sounded like haha, and I seemed to be able to get my words out. It's just this sudden numbness on one side of my body that terrified me.

I don't smoke, don't take hormonal contraception, I have cut down my drinking significantly recently, I am 22 and I am a healthy weight. My dad had several strokes but he was in his 60s and a heavy smoker and drinker. I'd just like to know if moderate anxiety which I am experiencing today but had been coping quite well could cause one sided numbness.

Phuzella
10-09-16, 19:34
Do you get migraines?

ballerina
10-09-16, 19:40
Do you get migraines?

I've been having a rather bad one sided headache this week on the left side of my head, but I don't think I have migraines. Grrr one sided things scare me.

Phuzella
10-09-16, 19:45
Numbness in one side can be a migraine aura. And migraine headaches are usually one sided. Anxiety causes all sorts of symptoms so it may be that. If you're worried though, have a word with your doctor :)

Sparkling_Fairy
10-09-16, 20:36
If you have a one sided headache, it's most likely a migraine.

Also, how's your neck? Stiff muscles in your neck can sometimes cause a numbness feeling on one side

ballerina
12-09-16, 21:40
If you have a one sided headache, it's most likely a migraine.

Also, how's your neck? Stiff muscles in your neck can sometimes cause a numbness feeling on one side

I have a tight neck and I always do but I have never had numbness before. Also if the headache has been on and off for a week can it be a migraine? The pain was bad but not severe or anything.

Thank you for your help :)

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Numbness in one side can be a migraine aura. And migraine headaches are usually one sided. Anxiety causes all sorts of symptoms so it may be that. If you're worried though, have a word with your doctor :)

Thanks for your help :)

brucealmighty
12-09-16, 21:59
a sports massage or a physio may help with this too, whenever I`ve missed my sleep or work has been tough I tense up around the neck and shoulders, bad posture etc so sometimes as much as mental stress can cause physical symptoms, a physical release of pain and tension can similarly help with the mental worries.

hope you feel better very soon

Sparkling_Fairy
12-09-16, 22:57
I have a tight neck and I always do but I have never had numbness before. Also if the headache has been on and off for a week can it be a migraine? The pain was bad but not severe or anything.

Thank you for your help :)

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Thanks for your help :)

A migraine doesn't have to be constant. I have migraines on and off all the time.
I've had them my whole life, but a friend of mine started suffering from them with her anxiety. And they disappeared again when her anxiety did. So I genuinely believe this could be a migraine

GadGirl
13-09-16, 09:06
I have trapped muscle on my left side neck and shoulder etc and I have found if I have been sitting for a while or maybe sitting weird it's put pressure on it and I have ended up with a numb arm hand face etc

Carnation
13-09-16, 10:16
Ballerina, I have actually suffered a mini stroke and on the right-side.

It causes a temporary paralysis that can last for many weeks.
You have a dragging affect in your limbs, which thankfully, you do not have. :)

What you experienced does not sound like that.
I have experienced that too and it has been when my anxiety has been high.