PDA

View Full Version : Work from Home, cabin fever / depression? - alternatives?

Sid476
12-09-16, 12:17
I work from home on a computer, and have had cabin fever for a while now, which maybe normal.

I go out at weekends, etc and make use of time off, but sitting at home, not only with distractions, but other things, seems to all blend into one..

I am just seeing what alternatives I could use instead of a laptop at home, as i quite portable.

All I need would be a Wifi connection, and an office would be too much.

I have thought of libraries, coffee shops or a library, where i can get on and a place to go as in like work, and could probably move around a little...?

Does anyone have any alternatives to home, like this that would be free/cheap with a strong WIFI connection?

Thank you - I just want to preserve my sanity!

SLA
12-09-16, 12:49
I have a Chromebook which is super portable, and fits in my bag. It goes with me everywhere.

Often, I will sit out at the park, and write if I feel stuck at home.

You don't even need a wi-fi hotspot. If you have a modern smart-phone you can tether onto that, and use that as your wi-fi hotspot. Just be aware of how much data usage you get through.

Android
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/how-tether-google-android-phone-image-3279408/

iPhone
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-create-wifi-hotspot-iphone-3513223/

Sid476
12-09-16, 13:02
Thats a good idea, I use an iPhone but also a PC laptop, do you know if these will work like this together?

Do Mac laptops do their own WIFI hotspot anyway or does it have to be a phone?

Good idea though

SLA
12-09-16, 13:07
They will work together.

Once you enable your phone to be a Wi-Fi hotspot, it will appear in your available Wi-Fi list on your laptop. Mine says "Jason's iPhone"

You set up a password too so that other people can't use it.

Sparkling_Fairy
12-09-16, 15:38
Library would work, as long as you don't need to be on the phone.

I work from home most days, but I have a separate room where I have my desk. So I regularly take a break, and go for a walk to get out of the house. And then when I'm done, I can close my "office" room and really spend time in my home. For me it prevents my work and home life blending into one another

Sid476
12-09-16, 15:45
Library would work, as long as you don't need to be on the phone.

I work from home most days, but I have a separate room where I have my desk. So I regularly take a break, and go for a walk to get out of the house. And then when I'm done, I can close my "office" room and really spend time in my home. For me it prevents my work and home life blending into one another

I do this too and have a separate office, which i close at weekends, but work blends over when you have phones/laptops/ipads.. :)

Also I just prefer to be out of the house sometimes, and Library is looking the best solution as I don't need to be chatting away on phone calls..

Pepperpot
13-09-16, 00:00
It is totally normal to experience cabin fever whilst working from home. I work from home on my laptop too, but I do enjoy it. However, I skype people, and I make sure I go out at least once a day