PDA

View Full Version : How do most people feel about Diazipam?

Lady Penelope
13-09-16, 12:28
I have been prescribed Diazipam 2 mg /3 times a day. I have just been taking it when I feel really anxious. I have now been put on Fluzoetine (day 6) and finding I am using the Diazipam more - usually half a tablet at a time. There seems to be a a lot of negative vibe about Diazipam and I understand it can be very addictive. I don't want to take it but sometimes I feel so desperate I just take one or half of one. Is it as bad as people think? Has anyone else used it to get through the first few weeks of Fluzoetine?
I am worried about how it makes me feel when it wears off and about becoming addicted.

hanshan
13-09-16, 13:06
Diazepam is not bad, and is prescribed to help many people through the difficult first weeks of an antidepressant. Good luck.

Mermaid16
13-09-16, 13:22
Hi Mazza again. I am taking the same 2mg 3 X a day. I am taking it while I'm tapering off Sertraline. I was very very worried about taking it at first. Like you I would only take 1/4 of 2mg tablet. I wasn't getting any better and was frantic with anxiety (trying to hold down a full time job and take care of two young children). The psych told me to trust him, that I wouldn't get addicted, because he won't let me. As long as I follow what he tells me to do with regards to the medication. I go back on Friday so will let you know how I go. Try to trust your doctor and follow their advice. That is what they are there for. As long as you don't abuse them, and follow the directions from the doctor you will be fine. Someone asked a similar question is this section a few threads back. If you read that you will see everyone's replies to an almost identical question. Take care. Tracy

skymaid
13-09-16, 13:30
ive been taking them for a couple of months or so now and i haven't felt any particular urge to take them.

As my therapy has been starting to work i've needed them less and less.

I scared myself silly reading scare stories about horrendous long withdrawals etc. Also lots of conflicting information around too. Also with there huge variance in how long it takes get out of people's bodies (like 20-200 hours) then its hard to be exact.

My gp said im ok to take 1-2 x 2mg everyday other day. The Shrink said 2 x 2mg twice a week is fine. An American Medical Statistics place said patients only experience significant withdrawal after taking 15mg per day for 3 months.

You do have to be self disciplined and not just take them at the slightest bit of anxiety because to do tend to work rather too well. Which is almost the problem.

Lady Penelope
13-09-16, 17:24
Thanks for the replies. Took one 2 mg today about an hour ago. Think I may as well use them while waiting for fluoxetine to take effect otherwise I could end up stopping fluoxetine all together. Managed six days on it so far and feeling horrendous!

hanshan
14-09-16, 13:00
Don't be afraid to take the diazepam as prescribed (2 mg x 3 times a day) to help you into the fluoxetine, which may not show benefits for 4 - 8 weeks. That is still a very low dose of diazepam (5 mg is equal to one tablet for many people) so is unlikely to cause problems.

Ojmit
06-10-16, 16:32
I started on fluoxetine four weeks back....only lasted two days, brought on the most vivid and terrifying panic attacks. I know I should of stuck it out but got really really frightened. Now on 45mg Mirt and 2mg Diaz when needed. My anxiety is always worse in the morning. The Diaz has been a life saver so far. Very worried about addiction and / or my GP not willing to prescribe further supply. My Psych team has told me I must take the Diaz for now.

skymaid
06-10-16, 16:54
as my gp says 2mg is a baby dose. just dont get into the habit of taking it when ylu dont REALLY need it. if I feel like im starting to panic I wait it out 5, 10 ,15 minutes if I can.. then see if I still feel like I need it.

often the answer is no

im prescribed to take it 'as needed' though. do what your doctor says rather than listen to anything you read on the internet. so many scare stories about all meds on the internet. especially benzos.

dally
07-10-16, 13:25
Benzos are a very effective drug and are excellent anti anxiety med used correctly.
They can become addictive if taken longer than 2-4 weeks continuously
But
If they are needed eg till your ADs become effective, then it is appropriate that you should take them.

IMO the difficulty arises when some DR's do not realise the addiction potential
Or more importantly how to withdraw their patients from the drug directly, slowly, with much support and successfully.

All benzos can be withdrawn from successfully following a slow taper, and whilst withdrawal can pose difficulty for some people. It is still possible to withdraw completely.

I would also comment that it is important to take an effective dose. There is no point taking half a dose if it doesn't clear the anxiety.