PDA

View Full Version : Clocks going back.

shea
13-09-16, 17:20
Well,

I've dug the SAD lamps out of the loft, ordered a new one to go in the kitchen, shall be preparing to get them dotted about the house over the next couple of weeks (strange even thinking about it whilst I sit here sweltering on what has to be the hottest day of the year!).

I hate the clocks going back. The dark nights utterly depress me. I hate when it's dark at 4.30.

I've started my first ever petition on the government website. Asking them to debate doing away with the October clock change that leaves us going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

If it's something that you dislike too, please sign and share. Thank you lovelies.x

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/166968

georgewing
14-09-16, 06:01
Well maybe its disturb you but this its the rule ,its made for years and it cannot be changed

Phuzella
14-09-16, 06:49
Would it make much of a difference though? I hate it when it gets dark early :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
14-09-16, 06:50
Well maybe its disturb you but this its the rule ,its made for years and it cannot be changed

Yes, it can.

It's many decades out of date anyway. People have clocks these days in their houses and no longer need to alter it by one hour just go suit an out of date policy from another time in history.

LittleMissAlone
14-09-16, 06:58
It won't make much difference. In December it's dark at 8am, I can't imagine how depressing it'd be dark until 9 (plus it'll increase traffic accidents during rush hours and stuff).

Shea, I'm interested in the SAD lamps though, do they work really well? I wasn't well last autumn through the winter (and Spring!) and said I'd get a lamp for this year. I've a halogen heater which throws out loads of light, would that do? Very energy efficient, but not much good if it doesn't work!

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:58 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

Terry, I think there's more practical reasons than whether we have clocks, surely?

MyNameIsTerry
14-09-16, 07:18
It's historically significant, mostly because of how we used energy, but that's gone now and evidence for that benefit is inconclusive or contradictory. So, now it's mostly beneficial to retailers, outdoor pursuits, etc.

I just think if you want an extra hour of daylight, change your routine. I don't need Big Brother to tell me to change. :shrug:

I doubt the issue of retailers matters anymore since we shop earlier & later anyway.

People keep campaigning to alter it further. Two hours was in one campaign but I think there was a more flexible one due to people further north.

I just find it all pointless, the world has greatly changed.

---------- Post added at 07:18 ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 ----------

Crime can increase or decrease due to changing a clock by an hour? :huh:

KeeKee
14-09-16, 09:12
I am the opposite of this. I absolutely hate the light nights and look forward to October every year and dread March. I've been cooped up indoors most of the time, looking forward to actually being able to pop to Asda when the dark nights come.

I'm very self conscious though and wonder if this is why I hate light nights so much.

cjemc
15-09-16, 20:26
I am the opposite of this. I absolutely hate the light nights and look forward to October every year and dread March. I've been cooped up indoors most of the time, looking forward to actually being able to pop to Asda when the dark nights come.

I'm very self conscious though and wonder if this is why I hate light nights so much.

OMG I am the same, I love autumn/winter nights, this heat and bright mornings and bright evenings are awful, I wake up at 4am and I think it's about 8am, then I go to bed at 10pm and it's bright like it is midday!!!

Buster70
16-09-16, 12:16
I'm not keen on the summer days getting light at half four but I'm not to keen on it being dark at half four in the afternoon either , you can't please all of the people all of the time , as for changing the clocks it takes me three months to get round to changing them all anyway I just turn up places an hour early or late , the only reliable clock is my dogs body clock when it's dinner time atomic clocks are calibrated by her .