PDA

View Full Version : Trying to stop myself freaking out and googling.. help

KatiePink
13-09-16, 19:23
Today when using my phone I noticed my finger on my right hand started jerking on its own, as in it would lunge forward and hit the screen, when it happens I can feel a sort of contraction in my forearm on the underside, then my finger jerks, it's happening in my thumb too..

It's not only when using the phone but at rest to, no pain or injury, seems different to a usual muscle twitch well the ones I'm used to is like you can see the muscle twitching under the skin, this is making my finger/thumb jerk?

Anyone had similar or any possibilities :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
13-09-16, 23:05
I've had things like this going back decades. Muscles twitches. Long before my anxiety.

They just happen. I still have them now. Plus we tend to get those hypnic jerks too.

Remember how tied into anxiety the neurotransmitter, Serotonin is? Guess what else it controls (quite a few things too!), muscle contraction.

Things like this can when happen because of something pressing on a nerve (think of how you cause cramp) or because of a muscle weakness (which may be needing building up or just a bit fatigued).

saf138
13-09-16, 23:16
Yes pretty common with anxiety I'm getting the same muscles twitches in my neck at the moment which is making my whole head jerk side to side its pretty weird and quite funny at the same time.
As for the thumb one it wasn't too long ago I noticed that every time I bent my left thumb it would really start jerking and flickering uncontrollably it was freaky at first but didn't last long I put it all down to stress and anxiety. Don't worry about it.

glassgirlw
15-09-16, 01:18
Happens to me all the time!! I type a lot for a living so I notice some evenings I get these weird flickering jerks in my thumb when texting. I just chalk it up to tired muscles/tendons/nerves after typing all day long! Think it's totally normal :hugs:

dale12345
15-09-16, 02:51
I agree its nothing, but googling is how all my health anxiety started. :doh:

hanshan
15-09-16, 03:40
I have the same thing too, occasionally. Finger twitching and hitting a key twice. I don't think it's necessarily a sign of anything sinister.

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-16, 05:38
Happens to me all the time!! I type a lot for a living so I notice some evenings I get these weird flickering jerks in my thumb when texting. I just chalk it up to tired muscles/tendons/nerves after typing all day long! Think it's totally normal :hugs:

If you carry a heavy weight in a difficult position don't be surprised to find smaller muscles weaken and they start to shake when you move them into certain positions. Lactic acid will do that to muscles, just like what you are saying about the typing.

You can also get weakness & aching through not exercising muscles in both directions. People grip and type but they don't open their hand against resistance. This can cause aching hands & forearms. I suffered this myself recently and after some research came across "ripper bands" which are just resistance bands small enough to fit across your fingers & thumb (just like an elastic band). Doing that now and again took away the aching in no time.

hanshan
15-09-16, 07:57
Hi Terry,

The resistance bands seem like a good idea. I'm always looking for ways to sensibly exercise while still doing a lot of desktop/keyboard work.

Like all these things, symptoms like this are one sign of neurological disease, just as a headache is one sign of a brain tumour, etc. But it's a bit like the old saying "One swallow does not make a summer (or spring, if you wish)". One twitch does not make an awful neurological disease.

KatiePink
15-09-16, 22:11
Thank you everyone you all really helped, it's stopped now so yes it must of been anything to worry about (as usual)

I really need to get off my phone I'm always getting paid s in my hands wrists and forearms :doh:

MyNameIsTerry
01-10-16, 06:26
Thank you everyone you all really helped, it's stopped now so yes it must of been anything to worry about (as usual)

I really need to get off my phone I'm always getting paid s in my hands wrists and forearms :doh:

Office workers often have issues with hand/wrist pain. When I bought the hand bands it explained this was also because they are always gripping or using the muscles that work with grip but don't use their opposing muscles as much thus creating a weakness.

Using the bands helped me with my hand/wrist pain and very quickly. It's not enough to open your hands to flex those muscles, they need light resistance just like what the gripping muscles are getting when you are tapping keys.

---------- Post added at 06:26 ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 ----------

Hi Terry,

The resistance bands seem like a good idea. I'm always looking for ways to sensibly exercise while still doing a lot of desktop/keyboard work.

Like all these things, symptoms like this are one sign of neurological disease, just as a headache is one sign of a brain tumour, etc. But it's a bit like the old saying "One swallow does not make a summer (or spring, if you wish)". One twitch does not make an awful neurological disease.

Hi hanshan,

Apologies for the late response, I'm not on as much right now so have some threads bookmarked to come back to.

Yes, I agree. These are intended for people who could experience a weakness due to overuse of the muscles that grip. Typing can make those muscles in your forearms ache. Those muscles get overworked since we use them for carrying bags, holding a mug of tea, etc. These bands work the muscles that open the grip and restore balance to the forearm and hand.

I only used mine for about a week initially and found they started helping. They literally are just like elastic bands but you get a set of different resistance bands (and a spare set) and they are really just tony versions of the popular resistance bands which have become popular in fitness. Resistance bands have been around for a very long time, just used in industry for lifting objects or transporting them under helicopters, etc.

Nzxt27
01-10-16, 06:40
I get nerve spasms too. I am pretty sure that is what your talking about when you say you can feel it like inside. I get them everywhere And even saw them on palm of my hand going to thumb and where my wrist is which was my meduim nerve twitching. I was playing on my phone when that one happened. I was starting to wonder if it was my blood not circulating good and my veins was twitching and moving which I'm not even sure that that is possible. But after seeing them and googling where nerve tubes run thru your body and arms I am for sure it's my nerves twitching away. Mine did not start happening till 2 weeks after I pretty much had a all day panic attack and ended up in the ER with chest pains.

I'm assuming it's all anxeity but I have the same fears as you. I just know before I went to the ER I never noticed any twitching or anything.