PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Beta Blockers

Zilde
13-09-16, 23:36
Hi folks.

So there's various sources of information out there that speak of the ramifications of sudden withdrawal of propranolol/beta blocker medication.

I myself am prescribed 10mg twice daily to alleviate the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I'd like to hear about anyone's experience of when they came off beta blockers and how dangerous it might be to stop taking them suddenly..

Baring in mind I'm anxious enough about my health as it is so if stopping this med could be dangerous for my heart I sort of wish Id just dealt with the constant adrenaline feelings!

PunkyFish
26-09-16, 22:55
Hi folks.

So there's various sources of information out there that speak of the ramifications of sudden withdrawal of propranolol/beta blocker medication.

I myself am prescribed 10mg twice daily to alleviate the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I'd like to hear about anyone's experience of when they came off beta blockers and how dangerous it might be to stop taking them suddenly..

Baring in mind I'm anxious enough about my health as it is so if stopping this med could be dangerous for my heart I sort of wish Id just dealt with the constant adrenaline feelings!

I use to take 10 mg daily for anxiety for a good few years now but when my anxiety got worse my GP changed my medication. My GP at the time recommended to drop my dosage from two tablets a day to one tablet a day over a two week period. However any changes in medication, including comming off medication, you really need to have a chat with your GP before you simply stop taking them.

ServerError
07-10-16, 20:15
I was taking 20mg three times a day. I decided I didn't need it anymore. I broke the cardinal rule and decided to come off it before telling my doctor. I tapered and then quit. I had no bad effects whatsoever, and when I told the doctor what I'd done, she didn't seem concerned.

Don't follow my example, though. Plan it with the doctor. But know that it's possible to come off without any ill effects.