PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroid Sufferers

Zilde
13-09-16, 23:45
I recently was diagnosed with this medical issue known as underactive thyroid and I'd like to read other peoples experiences surrounding this, I suppose as a form of reassurance because it's making me feel like death!

It doesn't matter how much I sleep or rest I always feel fatigued beyond description to the point where I can barely function!

I was prescribed 0.24mg of thyroxine and my blood results showed that despite this my thyroid levels had dropped further still so as of 2 weeks ago the this has been increased to 0.50mg. I'd love to hear some recovery stories around this issue because the constant tiredness is getting too much to cope with and its hard to remain positive at the moment. :(

Beachlady
14-09-16, 01:24
Hi Zilde;

I’ve been hypothyroid for over 20 years. Sometimes it’s a bit of a process for the docs to determine the correct dose of thyroid meds, but once they nail it you’ll feel absolutely fine. I’m on .88 of levothyroxine, and have been for as long as I remember. Just be patient with the dose experimentation--I assure you’ll be back to your old self in no time. :)

Autumn4
28-09-16, 13:18
I am struggling with this also. I was put on 25mcg levothyroxine & had the dose put up to 50 mcg a couple of weeks ago. I started getting a racing pulse & anxiety so am back down to 25at the moment. Hashimoto is also a possibility so am now gluten free.I see you are on 24 mg & Beachlady is on 88. I don't quite get that as levo comes in 25 mcg 50 mcg etc ? Zilde do you know if you have had TSH , Ft4 FT3 & also antibodies checked ? You also could have low Vit D which causes fatigue. B12 & ferritin if low can also cause the tiredness.

Catherine S
28-09-16, 14:28
I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in November 2010 at age 57, and have been on 50 mg levothyroxine ever since. It did help with breathlessness when walking, which was really bad before diagnosis, but hasn't taken this away completely and I still get days when it's a real struggle. However, I also piled on extra weight which could account for some of that, although even when much slimmer I still got breathless walking down the street or going upstairs. Other symptoms can be traced back to my 40s and some even earlier to my 30s....like thinning eyelashes and eyebrows and going longer between leg waxing, although this was a bit of a relief!

I have also been taking beta blockers from around the same time to help with anxiety, and because they slow down heart and lung function I think this can also contribute to the problem. My blood tests always come back with normal results since taking the thyroxine so my doctors never suggest upping the dose to help with the breathlessness and fatigue, but then i'm nervous about having symptoms such as a racing heart etc. I suffer with skipped heartbeats which are helped loads by the beta blockers so would hate to make them worse. It's a catch 22 situation for me :shrug:

ISB x

sarahxxx
29-09-16, 22:21
hi there been hypo for 8 years on 100 mg thyroxine still have up and down days on atenolol for fast heartbeats stress is so bad for the thyroid

dale12345
29-09-16, 23:08
I have had an under active thyroid for like 20 years as long as take my pills and get my blood drawn when they tell me I am fine. Very common.