PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about bleeding-just gave birth!

Chantel
14-09-16, 10:58
I gave birth five hours ago and anxiety is already playing up! This is my third birth but I seem to have more bleeding this time. I've been going to the loo once an hour and ALOT of blood is pouring out. Is this normal?? Trying not to get worked up but it's really hard.

Joe Hayes
14-09-16, 11:39
First, congratulations! Second, ask the first doc you see!

swgrl09
14-09-16, 12:16
You must be currently in the hospital still, right? I would ask a nurse nearby ... they should be around 24/7.

Congratulations :)

Chantel
14-09-16, 12:21
Thanks guys. I spoke with my nurse who checked my uterus and told me it is firm and even with a really firm press didn't get a lot of blood out. That said, she gave me the usual rule of thumb that I keep an eye out for soaking more than one pad an hour. I told her it was hard to tell because the bulk of it seems to pour out when I pee.

ktdid2000
14-09-16, 18:56
Fellow mama here - the one pad an hour rule is what you want to focus on. Little gushes when you get up or go pee is pretty normal as you are changing your position and anything that has accumulated up there may come out as the muscles relax.

The nurses check for abnormal bleeding a LOT in the hospital so as long as they keep checking you should be fine. Definitely let them know if you notice anything abnormal or start pouring out all of a sudden. Congratulations! :D

roseanxiety
16-09-16, 01:40
And if you're breastfeeding you're going to bleed more. When the baby feeds, the uterus cramps and more blood will come out.