PDA

View Full Version : can ocd kill you

deamond117
27-03-07, 07:28
i have ocd and health anxity im constantly worryed about heart desease its heritery in my family ive just gotten over it for now about worrying about it when my counciler says that if my ocd goes untreated it could happen anyway becasue i thought about it for so long kinda like forceing it to happen im scared now have been all day i keep thinking it could happen any minute

kate
27-03-07, 07:53
Your OCD has no bearing whatsoever on whether you develop heart disease or not. You can't make heart disease happen due to constant worrying about it, that is impossible. It's your anxiety making you think like that.

You say you are seeing a counsellor. What type of therapy are you receiving?

Kate

deamond117
27-03-07, 08:12
i dont know really shes givn me some cbt but she says i should see a ental health worker and get a mental health erm.... diaognosis

hoppipolla
27-03-07, 13:28
i don't think you can think heart disease into existence :)

it's true that stress can put strain on things like that, and that's something i have thought about as well, but unless we are talking about decades of reasonably intense tension and stress it probably won't have any long term effects the human body is so good at healing itself. Just try to relax, and take your time getting better :)

you'll be fine i'm sure, and your body will recover just like mine will when mine goes away. have faith in it! ^_^

Nel
28-03-07, 15:46
my counciler says that if my ocd goes untreated it could happen anyway becasue i thought about it for so long kinda like forceing it to happen

God what a dreadful and ill advised thing to say to someone with OCD or anxiety! OCD cannot kill you, OCD are thoughts and compulsions (NOT compulsions to act on thought, compulsions to rid you of anxiety - mainly hand washing, checking etc), thoughts cannot bring on heart disease!
Not all counsellors are equipped to be treating OCD sufferers (if this is the correct diagnosis), don’t be afraid to ask for a counsellor who has experience in treating OCD. Good luck x