PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety + Depression please help

luchia0306
14-09-16, 20:49
I was diagnosed with depression a couple of weeks ago after weeks of feeling anxiety, depressed and having some intrusive thoughts. I felt like I was going crazy. I was given 10 mg citalopram and I dont know if it was the medication or talking to the doctor about my problems but for the next 2 weeks I felt a lot better.

A couple of days ago I was randomly freaking out a bit about growing older and how fast life goes by which I think might of triggered my anxiety. However, since then I have been feeling anxious all the time about nothing in particular which is starting to make me feel depressed. I have no appetite and I just feel waves of nausea mainly in the night. Also my mum just doesnt understand why i'm feeling like this (it doesnt help that I dont either) and she is fed up of worrying about me. I dont know what to do. Do I try and up my dosage of citolapram or change because I heard citolapram has side effects of anxiety.

**Side note - im going on a school trip away in a couple of weeks and im so anxious about going but I paid a lot of money to go

SLA
14-09-16, 20:57
Hi Luchia,

What part do you think is making your anxiety and depression worse? Is it worrying about the trip? Is it the intrusive thoughts?

What is the main cause?

.Poppy.
14-09-16, 21:35
SSRIs (like citalopram) will cause nausea and will also increase anxiety. There's a side effect window - you just need to ride it out.

You can try to increase if your doctor thinks it's best, but it won't make the anxiety/nausea immediately go away. Your body has to adjust to the medication before you start seeing/evaluating changes.

Personally, I'd stick with the 10 mg for at least a few more weeks and if you think you need to increase, do so then. Most people (myself included) have more luck side-effect wise if you taper up more slowly.