PDA

View Full Version : Heart palpitations - awaiting results

jayware33
15-09-16, 16:40
Hi all,

I'm driving myself into panic with this one.

I've always experienced palpitations / ectopic beats as far back as I can remember. I've had a number of ECG's over the years too. My most recent one was 6 months ago when I started to experience more ectopics than usual. I had a standard 12 lead ECG and all was normal, the ectopics weren't captured during that time.
I have since started cycling to work and I'm now getting them during exercise, which scares me. I went back to my GP who asked if I'd like to be referred but he didn't think I needed to seeing as a cardiologist looked over my last ECG (but no ectopics then). I asked to be referred and got an appointment through shortly afterwards for a 24 hour monitor. I worn this and experienced several ectopics and even went cycling again and had most of them during the cycle. This totally freaked me out and I was anxious the whole time. I also seen that palpitations during exercise is a red flag indicator too, this made me panic even more.
I handed the device back in and they said someone will evaluate it and call me if anything urgent is found. I'm a total nervous wreck and feel so depressed and scared, waiting by the phone terrified and imagining the worst case scenario. I'm not a smoker, don't really drink and a healthy weight with no family history of cardiac issues. The palpitations happen in isolation and no other symptoms and can happen at rest too.

They said if i don't get called within the day or two then it goes into the pile for the cardiologist to look at and can take 8-9 weeks for the results. This is just going to be 9 weeks of pure anxiety and panic.

Please, any words or advice is welcome. :(.

SLA
15-09-16, 16:55
How old are you?

I'm 33, and earlier this year I experienced a similar thing while cycling. I do A LOT of cycling, so it was a bit of a shock.

I'd had a few dizzy spells too. Went and saw the doctor, and got blood tests done, and everything came back normal.

I'd had a virus a few weeks before, and it was all attributed to that. Haven't had them since.

Everything is stacked in your favour, so try and relax until you hear anything else. It is good that you are getting things checked.

jayware33
15-09-16, 18:36
How old are you?

I'm 33, and earlier this year I experienced a similar thing while cycling. I do A LOT of cycling, so it was a bit of a shock.

I'd had a few dizzy spells too. Went and saw the doctor, and got blood tests done, and everything came back normal.

I'd had a virus a few weeks before, and it was all attributed to that. Haven't had them since.

Everything is stacked in your favour, so try and relax until you hear anything else. It is good that you are getting things checked.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm 28. My mind is just running overtime trying to think of the scenarios before they've happened. My GP didn't seem concerned at all when I asked for the referral. So, trying to seek reassurance from that and the fact I've had a number of ECGs in the past.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Well, it's been 24 hours since I handed my device in. If there was something serious, they would have called by now? They said up to 24 hours. Now my anxiety is saying "maybe they're under staffed and they won't get it until tomorrow"? My mind just never stops :(. I hate this anxiety.

DivineAngle
29-09-16, 03:49
Hi

Just my two cents. You should put pressure on obtaining the results sooner. If it only takes 24 hours for results to be complete then ask for them or even better a copy to see what the cardiologist reading them their opinion and summary is. At the end of your day it's your data and yes they can contact you if there is something serious, sometimes having that piece of mind sooner rather than later helps

Divine