PDA

View Full Version : Ven diaries

Debs21uk
15-09-16, 17:28
Beginning a switch from cit to ven xr after cit seems to have stopped working so thought I'd write about the switch for anyone else looking to change over.

So step one of the plan is to cross taper from 20mg cit drop this to 10mg and add 37.5mg ven for two weeks.

Day 1: started this yesterday, feel a bit jittery today and a bit teary but I've been teary with depression for months. Slight sore head.

Mermaid16
16-09-16, 00:55
Hope it all goes well Debs and you start to feel better soon xx

Debs21uk
16-09-16, 01:08
How did you get on? X

Mermaid16
16-09-16, 01:32
My appointment is in 2.5 hours. Feeling nervous now, but only because I don't know what he is going to do. My mum is hoping that he doesn't change anything until we get back from holidays, but in a way I'm kind of keen to get it over and done with. Will let you know when I get back. In any case, he will make the decision about what is best and I will just do what he suggests.

Debs21uk
16-09-16, 02:46
Good luck lovely! Keep me posted x

Mermaid16
16-09-16, 08:37
Hi Debs! Well it looks like we are going to be Ven friends . I had my appointment, he had always talked about Duloxetine for the swap, then while I was in there he said pristique (not sure of spelling). Then he scribbled it out and said no, I will start you on Ven. So my plan now is to stay at 50mg Sert for another week, start 37.5mg of Ven for a week (keep the Mirtazapine at 15mg). I feel like a pharmacy some times with all the drugs I'm on. Anyhow, really looking forward to just moving forward and getting off the Sert and then once I'm stable the Valium. He said he could have decreased the Sert again but wanted to see what kind of effects I got from the Ven. Plus he said 50mg of Sert is the lowest theuraputic dose, so if he drops that again I will essentially have two drugs in my system which are both doing nothing. I felt really flat today which is new. But I guess everyone has those. So I will let you know how I get on tomorrow. So he said to take the Ven and the Sert at the same time. I usually take them around 9am. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow night. Xx

R1CH
16-09-16, 16:55
Good luck to you both. I am hoping Sert works for me but its not at the moment, so I'm following this with interest as this is likely my next step. Cant stand this anymore :(

Good luck!

Rich

Debs21uk
16-09-16, 18:58
Hi Tracy,

Oh well looks like we will be going through the same thing. Ven friends! Hope it goes well, I've heard a cross taper can be very gentle as really the serotonin is being replaced rather than withdrawn but we're all different. We can compare notes.

Rich, hope Sert comes through for you but will note everything here incase you need to make the change.

Day 2: poor sleep, mild headache a few hours after taking, slight jitters still, no difference in mood (not that I expected any).

Debs21uk
17-09-16, 23:28
Day 3: tiredness, very mild headache on and off, slightly increased thirst. Again mood was low and some anxiety but no more than usual.

Mermaid16
18-09-16, 01:25
Hi Debs! Are you taking 20mg cit or 10mg cit plus the 37.5mg Ven. I think I'm going to ask to stay at 37.5 for another week as well because of our holiday. Feeling really unmotivated. I hope that improves. Think I will try get out of the house today even just for a drive to the shop. Fingers crossed this all goes well xx

dale12345
18-09-16, 02:18
I hope it goes well for you

Debs21uk
18-09-16, 03:12
Hi Tracy,

I'm on 10mg cit with 37.5mg ven for two weeks. How are you finding the taper? I'm past the three day mark so should be getting a steady dose. My psych wanted me to start dropping the cit every other day after the two weeks but I usually feel that worse so she said I could swap to the 75mg Ven if I didn't want to do that. I'll see how the next couple of weeks go. I'd probably do the same as you if I was going on holiday, better the devil you know!

Thanks Dale, I hope it goes as smoothe as possible.

X

Mermaid16
18-09-16, 04:24
Hi Debs. To be honest, I feel like sh+t. I take the dose at about 9 because that is when I took the Sert. I actually didn't take them until about 10 this morning because I was thinking of not taking it, but then had a change of heart. I feel really flat, which is just not like me. Since this started in July, I have had crying spells and the like but have never lost my mojo. The last two days, I have stayed in bed until about lunch time, where I force myself to get out of bed because it makes me feel worse. I am worried that it is the Ven that is causing me to feel the flatness. Other than that I haven't felt too bad, have a tiny bit of a head ache and lower stomach cramp (but I don't know if that is my periods about to start). Just want to shake this feeling off. I don't like it at all. Also felt really weird thoughts wise this morning. Will see how I get on, but don't think I will be making any changes until back from holidays. Let me know how you get on tomorrow.xx

tommackent88
18-09-16, 15:32
Hi Debs and Mermaid

I hope you are doing okay and well done for writing about it. It will help lots of people.

It might not be an easy ride but it's well worth doing in my opinion. I went from pragabalin to ven about a year ago and I'm doing good!

I look forward to hearing how you get on

T

Pipkin
18-09-16, 17:54
Hi all,

I've been on ven for over 4 years and it has saved my life. I know we're all different but it's worth giving it your best shot because it can works wonders.

Just wanted to give you a little positivity during tricky times :)

Pip

Debs21uk
18-09-16, 21:16
Thank Tom and Pip, encouragement is always needed when you are facing the unknown. How did the switch go for you Tom? Did it take you a while to feel the difference like the standard 4-6 weeks?

Tracy, it could be the switch and us getting used to it as I've found I've been more tired and a bit flat myself especially the first few days. I suppose it's a matter of time before it all settles down. Are you still taking the Sert with the ven?

Day 4: increased sleeping, Slightly more thirsty, feel like I'm second guessing my mood.

Mermaid16
18-09-16, 23:17
Hi Debs! Well, this morning I got my period (sorry TMI). So that at least explains the tears all weekend. The Ven has definately increase my anxiety back up. Before I started on it, I was relaxed on waking and during the day, I am back again to feeling like a wound up rubber band in the morning. It does decrease once I get up and get moving. I know my anxiety is high, because when it is I start to get a bit of pill phobia, but will continue with it now until I at least see the psych again on Wednesday. It is early days I know and I think 3/4 days is when you are getting a steady dose. So I am just about to take day 3. When you say you feel like your second guessing your mood, do you feel like you are improving but not really sure? My anxiety has increased, not gone the other way, but it may just be anxiety about starting a new med. In any case I am telling myself the anxiety is just nervous energy and it won't hurt you, and to keep going at least till I have done a week. Hope you continue to do well. xx

Thanks Pip and Tom...fingers crossed we have the same success. Do you mind if I ask what dosage you are on and if it is to treat anxiety, depression or both?

Debs21uk
18-09-16, 23:51
Well that explains a lot Tracy, especially when pmt is worse since the dip in estrogen plummets the little serotonin we have! I've seen ven is used for pmdd too.

I find I get a bit jittery but I'm not sure if that's just the transition from cit to ven, are you still on Sert too? Sometimes I think it's anxiety over just making the change and I'm always expecting the worse just with the way I'm feeling.

In terms of second guessing my mood, it's like I feel okay for a while then my mind kicks in thinking oh do I feel ok? Where is the anxiety? Like I'm looking for how I feel since I'm so used to doing it, it's very annoying x

Mermaid16
19-09-16, 00:15
Hi Debs. Thanks for replying. It made me feel a whole lot better. I am still on 50mg of Sert, and have been on that since the 30th of August (that's when I did my last drop). I was feeling fine up until I started the Ven, so I know it is that, that is causing the added anxiety. Plus I was fine in the mornings until I started on the Ven. I really feel like chucking it in (the Ven) to be honest. My mum has convinced me to stay on it at least until the see the doc again on Wednesday. I just am having major mood swings (don't know if that is part of the Ven...then again probably PMT...I keep forgetting about that). Hopefully in a few weeks, we will be high fiving each other and saying thank f"|k that is over. Have a nice rest of the day and let me know how you get on tomorrow. xx :hugs:

Debs21uk
19-09-16, 00:46
Stick with it Tracy, part of our problem is that we've been on our meds so long we haven't had to deal with this start up anxiety from new meds. The first few days will be worse as everything is so changeable. Hopefully it'll get easier as we go along. Pm me if you need a chat x

tommackent88
19-09-16, 20:12
Hi both

Debs is right, stick with it !

To answer your above question, unfortunately it took me a while to 'level out' after finding the right dosage. but thank god I stuck with it.

You will have heightened anxiety but please be reassured that this is the chemicals causing this and it's all normal!

T
Xx

Debs21uk
19-09-16, 20:35
So plodding along is all I can say for now as its early days. Feels like I'm starting to feel the effects of the taper more now.

Day 5: tired, feel like I'm sleeping most of the day, jittery/anxious, headaches, chills, low mood.

Debs21uk
20-09-16, 20:28
Day 6: increased sleeping, jittery/anxiety, chills, lightheaded when going from sitting to standing.

Nearly at the one week mark, have another week of the same then I drop the final 10mg cit and increase ven to 75mg. Fingers crossed once that happens I can start to make progress. Have diazepam for when the anxiety is bad but trying not to use it unless I really need to and even at that I tend to take half.

Mermaid16
20-09-16, 22:24
Hi Debs! We are at polar opposites with regard to sleep. I am so tired, but my mind won't shut down (I had this also when I started on Sertraline). Which is actually doing my head in, because I wake at 4.30am wound up as tight as an elastic band with anxiety (which tends to ease once I get moving, not go, but ease). When I get home from work I'm exhausted, but can't sleep...aaarrrhhhgg). Thankfully with the Mirt it knocks me out for a few hours at night. Can't wait till this is over!!!

Debs21uk
20-09-16, 23:07
Hi Tracy, I'm not sure if the sleep thing is partly because I have chronic fatigue as well and I was told the citalopram gave me a lift so it could be the transition is interfering with that. I have anxiety and jitters too so I never know if it's coming of the citalopram or starting the ven. We're only really going into side effect territory just now, once we're off the old drugs then hopefully we'll start to make progress.

I read somewhere 20mg citalopram and 50-75mg sertraline is equivalent to 75mg ven so we're not even at a therapeutic dose yet.

dale12345
20-09-16, 23:38
Hope you feel better

Mermaid16
20-09-16, 23:47
Hi Debs. I dropped from 75mg to 50mg on 30th of August and had no change in sleep at all (or any real side effects from tapering down 25mg), until I started taking the Ven. I was snoozing in on the weekends until about 10ish. By day three it had definately changed my sleep as I was awake at 4.30am and have been every day since with severe anxiety upon waking. It does ease though once I get up. I know you have only just started as well, but do you think when you updose with the Ven, the anxiety will get worse, or once it's in there, it doesn't make much difference. If anyone who is reading this has had experience, could you please advise. I get really overwhelmed with everything, my anxiety I guess is rampant at the moment. I did feel quite rational yesterday afternoon though and was thinking positive. Good luck Debs...you seem to be coping with it much better than I am. xx

dale12345
20-09-16, 23:49
all of you

Debs21uk
21-09-16, 00:53
I'm just thinking being on 10mg citalopram and 37.5mg Effexor I pretty much have two ineffective doses doing nothing right now. Roll on another week to get this switch done with!

Shazamataz
21-09-16, 02:18
Hi debs you should have the same levels of seretonin with half and half but I expect each med works a bit differently so still needs adjusting. Hang in there!

Debs21uk
21-09-16, 02:57
Does anyone know that if you start a medication that's equivalent to the other in terms of dosage whether it can still be effective? Eg could 75mg ven work effectively even though the equivalent 20mg cit stopped working?

Shazamataz
21-09-16, 04:41
I think they work a bit differently which is why you sometimes need to change. From my experience they must act a bit different because when I started on sertraline I was incredibly ill and then with citalopram but didn't have any gastro upsets with venlafaxine.

Mermaid16
21-09-16, 11:35
Hi Debs :ohmy: We won't be Ven friends anymore...I had a psych appointment today. He is taking me off the Ven. He said that because it is so activating for me, I felt wired all day (but exhausted) if that makes sense, not sleeping (only with Mirt), then waking early. I also was feeling irritated and agitated. He said I must be too sensitive to the chemicals that Ven affect in the brain (can't remember his exact medical terms). Anyhow, I'm supposed to just stop it tomorrow and see how everything goes for the next week without it. Who know what will happen after that. Will be following your journey closely. Will let you know how I go with everything xx

Debs21uk
21-09-16, 20:24
Hi Tracy, if it's not working for you then it's best to find that out now before you continue any further. I am having the opposite effect of sleeping too much which I hope will go away as I've literally been sleeping 10-12hrs a day which is ridiculous. I'll maybe speak to my dr as if it doesn't improve I'll need to consider something else. Has anyone else experienced tiredness?

Day 7; sleeping 10-12hrs, jittery, low mood, much more emotional today

Not sure if the mood and emotionalness is just part of the depression I already have.

Mermaid16
22-09-16, 00:12
Hi Debs. Hope you start to feel better soon. I have read that it can make you sleepy, but also it can make you wired (which is what I was feeling like). I just don't think it was for me (I did have second thoughts when I got home last night), but after waking at 4.00am again this morning and laying there coiled up like an elastic band until I had to get up for work, I thought, nope this isn't for me. I was starting to feel okay before I took it, was starting to read and do some work on the panic and anxiety myself (like trying to drive etc), but that stopped when I started taking this because it took me right back to where I was before, unable to concentrate, mind wizzing 100 miles an hour, anxiety through the roof. So I think I have made the right decision. I think with me as well because I am on so many drugs, my brain just couldn't handle it. Let me know how you get on with the doctor. Maybe once you up the dose to the therapeutic level your energy levels will return? I'm really not sure. I wish you all the best with it though. A lot of people seem to have had good outcomes with it. Chat soon xx

Debs21uk
23-09-16, 00:00
Hi Tracy, I hope you find something that suits you better soon so you can start your recovery. The past couple of days I've been feeling a bit more emotional and shaky but I assume it is a bit of start up and withdrawals all mixed in together. Will keep going and see how it goes. Let me know how you get on.

Day 8: increased sleep, jittery/anxious, emotional.

Debs21uk
23-09-16, 23:06
Not much changing in terms of side effects however I sometimes think part of the jitters I have are from coming off the citalopram, after 12years I'm sure it'll have an effect. Taking half a diazepam to take the edge off if I need it. I know it's not much but I'm too scared to use it too often incase I become tolerant plus I wait to see how I feel before taking anything.

Day 9: still sleeping a lot 10-12hrs, jittery/anxious, thirsty.

Debs21uk
24-09-16, 21:58
So not much different to report, mainly sleeping a lot and not even at a therapeutic dose yet to make a difference. I do have chronic fatigue so the med change could be affecting that as the citalopram used to give me a boost for that.

Day 10: increased sleep, anxious.

Don't know if anyone can view this but an actress here in Britain who is open about her mental health issues speaks about her recent episode, gives me hope!

http://youtu.be/cmU8ms7suhQ

Debs21uk
25-09-16, 21:25
More of the same, trying to fight the sleep but not doing to well as I'm constantly tired. Still having anxious/depressed thoughts but didn't expect these to go when I'm not even tapered over properly yet. Trying to my best to challenge them.

Day 11: increased sleep, anxious/depressive thoughts.

3 days til I do last bit of taper.

Mermaid16
26-09-16, 12:21
Keep going Debs! You are doing great and almost there. I don't always comment, but read every day. Our holiday is going well. Anxiety has been good and have had not early morning waking and anxiety since the Ven got out of my system (I really wished it had of worked for me). Maybe if I gave it another try when I'm in a better head space. I did have a panic attack at the shop which was a bit of a scare. Had to get my daughter to come to the toilet with me and then my partner stay with me in shop. Thought there was something wrong with me (other than panic attack), but as soon as I said to myself 'oh well if you faint, you faint, who cares'. Then I was fine. Kids had a kebab, the takeaway shop man put Jalepenos on instead of olives (can you believe it). Poor little buggers mouths were on fire. We showed him the jelepenos and he said 'yes' yes, they are olives...Grrr what a friggin idiot. Thinking of you. Feeling tired is a very common start up effect of the Ven (from what I've read), I think it will pass once you up the dose. Take care of you xx

Debs21uk
26-09-16, 21:23
Hi Tracy! You are doing so well on your holiday, well done. Poor kids got some shock with a mouthful of jalapeņos, clearly the takeaway guy has no concept of the basic differences. Just as well they aren't allergic or it could have been worse. You handled your panic attack really well, big thumbs up to you!

The tiredness is probably the worst I've had of the cross taper so hopefully when I go up it won't get any worse or I'll be in a constant coma! Two days til I go up and it's getting to the point I just want to get it done with so I can start to properly adapt and see if it works for me. Some of my family seem to think the minute you take one dose you'll be better, if only it was that simple! Enjoy the rest of your holiday, with no more food faux pas xxx

Day 12: increased sleep, anxious/depressive thoughts

Debs21uk
27-09-16, 20:38
So everything is pretty much stable in terms of side effects/ withdrawals so for the sake of one more day I'm going to do the last bit of the taper tonight so completely withdraw from the last 10mg citalopram and increase to 75mg ven. Fingers crossed all goes well with this final stage and I don't get more tired!

Day 13: increased sleep, low mood, anxious.

Debs21uk
28-09-16, 19:42
So last night I did the last bit of the taper and if anything it did the opposite of tiredness and gave me a bit of insomnia. Maybe it'll reset my body clock lol. Not sure if side effects will take a few days to kick in but at least the taper is done.

Day 14: first day of 75mg ven. Bit of insomnia, emotional (that could be hormones), slight headache.

Jem21
29-09-16, 08:33
Thought I might jump in with you debs and you guys on the ven section if that's ok? I've just done a straight swap from 20mg Citalopram to 20mg duloxetine but that section is completely dead and I felt like a bully no mates lol. Been on Citalopram on and off for 15 years but had a lapse earlier this year while on it and doc increased me to 30mg... Sent me looney to say the least so I dropped back down to 20. Seems to have stopped working so doc switched me to duloxetine. Only on day 2 of the swap and feeling some nausea, breathlessness. And extreme tiredness along with bad anxiety. Hoping things will improve in the coming days.

Jem x

Mermaid16
29-09-16, 08:55
Hi Jem! Debs is a lovely lady and has been very helpful, positive and optimistic which has been great. We both weaned down a bit before we swapped. So you may be going through some withdrawal from your old med and start up with the new med. Do you mind if I ask if you suffer mainly from depression or anxiety or both? Do you take any other meds. Hope the Dulox works for you. Sucks that we have to go through this. I have psych appointment tomorrow, so who knows what he will suggest. We are here if you ever need a chat xx

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

So last night I did the last bit of the taper and if anything it did the opposite of tiredness and gave me a bit of insomnia. Maybe it'll reset my body clock lol. Not sure if side effects will take a few days to kick in but at least the taper is done.

Day 14: first day of 75mg ven. Bit of insomnia, emotional (that could be hormones), slight headache.

Congratulations for getting through the taper Debs! You have done incredibly well. Should be no time and you will be past the start up effects, plus your on a therapeutic dose now so should all start to improve. Good on you girlfriend!!! Xx

Jem21
29-09-16, 13:13
Hey Mermaid thanks for your kind words! I know I defo have anxiety not sure about depression, never seen a pdoc so never had a diagnosis. I have a huge fear of depression so if I feel like I have no energy or can't be bothered I panic because I think I have depression. I spent most of my day comparing my symptoms to depression checking if I think I have it. I'm stuck in a vicious cycle I can't get out of! Go figure... I'm a fruit loop lol. How about you?

Jem x

Debs21uk
29-09-16, 19:19
Hey ladies! Thanks Tracy for your lovely words you've been a great help through all this. Glad we have each other here for these tough times. You're very welcome here Jem, it's usually me wittering on about how I feel lol. I have depression with anxiety and if I'm honest I find the anxiety worse.

What dose are you on Jem? X

Jem21
29-09-16, 20:22
Hey it's good to rant on how you feel, I write quite a lot about how I feel and it's helps a bit! I was on 20 cit and I did a straight swap to 20 duloxetine. I've read that the therapeutic dose is 60 though. Doctor gave me a months worth so I guess I'm staying on that for now!
Not sure with the depression but I know anxiety is the worst, I wouldn't wish it on the bloke next door (and he's a complete dick lol)

We can do this though girls!!! X

Debs21uk
29-09-16, 21:40
I suppose it depends whether the 20mg Duloxetine is an exact swap for the 20mg cit. as my dr was so shocking I went to see a private psychiatrist so I think that's how she was cautious making sure the serotonin was replaced when withdrawing and starting the ven.

Lol love your humour Jem, my neighbour is an idiot too!

Tracy let us know how you get on at psych x

Mermaid16
30-09-16, 00:09
Will do Debs! How did you get on with the updose?

Jem21
30-09-16, 12:10
Morning ladies, another day on the crazy wagon ;-)
How are you both doing today?
I'm not sure if it's an equal swap debs, I asked for a referral to a private psych last week and my doctor didn't want to give me one. I don't think he's that up on ad's and never looked anything up just told me to swap. Starting day 3 today and no increased anxiety yet, although I found with the cit it was usually day 5 when all the side effects kicked off so I'm hoping that won't happen. Feel a lot of nausea but I'm making myself eat 3 times a day! Took a while to nod off last night but slept through when I did.
Can I ask are you both working while going through this?

Good luck today Tracy, looking forward to hearing how you got on?

Speak soon, Jemma xx

Mermaid16
30-09-16, 12:54
Hi Jem! I have anxiety only with no depression (although if it goes on long enough untreated than I get depression). Had psych appoinment, he has added Dothiepin/dosulepin to the cocktail. It is an older style tricyclic anti depressant I think. I am supposed to start tonight, but I always get a bit of pill phobia when I start a new one and it takes me a while to work up to it. Plus I have two kids and I always have this fear that I am going to die in my sleep when I start, so I am waiting until Sunday night when they go to their Dads house. It is really stupid I know, but I will work myself into a state and probably end up making my partner take me to the hospital in the middle of the night if I take it while they are here, so it is easier to wait. Plus the doc said it could make me really groggy the next day, so to see how I go. I am only starting on 25mg. Surprisingly when I looked it up, they don't prescribe it in the USA. I think it is a big no no for people with heart problems. In any case, every drug has side effects, and this one seems to have minimal start up effects (so I've read), so will give it a shot. Hopefully it works and I can get off the Sertraline and Valium and possibly even the Mirtazapine.

You seem to be doing well side effects wise so far Jem. I think I noticed disturbed sleep and anxiety through the roof after the second dose of Ven. Yep, I'm working full time, but in a family business my parents own which has made it so much easier. I usually work 7.00am till 4.00pm and am knackered by the time I get home. I do usually go and do some relaxation, breathing on my lunch break in the sick room. I'm pretty sure I would have lost my job if I worked somewhere else. I see the psych weekly which is about 1.5 hours from when I leave to when I get back. Everyone knows at work what I am going through, so they've seen the tears etc.

How about you Jem, are you working? Do you have any kids? Do you mind if I ask how old you are? Ginger is supposed to be good for nausea. Not sure if it helps or not, but maybe some ginger beer or something may help. Talk soon. Tracy xx

Jem21
30-09-16, 13:44
Hey Tracy, glad the psych has suggested trying something new and your right to wait till Sunday if that's what you feel comfortable with. I'm 41 and I have a 12 year old who lives with me and my partner and his 18 year old son! House full of boys ;-/ I do work, I'm a sales manager for a large media company although I went off sick on Tuesday. My boss has been really nice though about it as my partner told her and she said I do a great job and to just concentrate on getting well which was really nice!
I think I'm going to give the duloxetine a couple of weeks before I go back to doctors and hopefully they will have helped, if not I'll push for the psych referral. It's all about waiting which is the worst thing for an anxiety sufferer.
How about you, how many children do you have?
When you say you just have anxiety and some depression if it gets bad, what you base depression on? I never know if I have it but get anxiety about it.

Take care, Jemma xx

Debs21uk
30-09-16, 20:52
Hi ladies,

Glad you have a plan now Tracy and you get on the road to recovery soon. I hope it goes as smoothe for you as it has for me. The waiting is horrible when you just want to make progress, I've been on the ven for 3 days now and I am always inspecting how I feel. I'm always hoping I'm one of the ones who feel the benefit within a week but with my luck that'll be a no. Apart from the tiredness i've been okay on the ven so far but that then makes me think if I am not having side effects does that mean it won't work?! I know it's fear of this not working but after 3 days I've got to be realistic.

I'm not at work just now Jem, I've been off the past few months but usually I can keep going if I have a blip but this time I had the deepest depression and literally couldn't face anything. I think that's why I was moved onto ven as the cit wasn't touching it. It's weird how our anxiety centres around certain things, mine focuses on whether I'm breathing okay and worrying about panic attacks.

To make matters worse ive got hormones rearing there ugly head so the Pms window is upon me and I feel teary again. Hopefully when the ven kicks in it'll help with that too as its certainly got worse since all this happened.

Speak soon,
Debs x

dale12345
30-09-16, 20:56
I hope you all feel better!!!

Mermaid16
01-10-16, 08:19
Hi Jemma! I'm 41 and have two kids (girl that is 10 and boy that is soon to be 9). I share custody of my children with my ex husband. I live with my partner (he has a son that is 15, but he doesn't live with us, we only have him every second weekend). I first got anxiety when I was 19, at that stage I didn't really know what it was and it went untreated for a long time, so I did start to feel helpless (I don't think that is 'real' depression as such), but I would just want to curl up in bed and not face the day. At times I guess it just all got a bit much. Once the medication started to kick in though, I was back to normal. I would try not to stress too much about depression if you can. I'm guessing if we had it we would definately know we had it and it is treatable in any case.

Hi Debs! Looks like it is all going well at the moment for you, just a waiting game now to wait for the dosage to kick in, which as we all know is a couple of weeks. I had a panic attack today, which really pi**ed me off. I just feel like I start to make a bit of progress and I get set back. I was watching 'The Jungle Book' with the kids and started to feel a bit dizzy. As soon as I have any 'off' feeling it sets off a panic attack because I worry that I will faint or have a seizure in front of the kids (that is my 'anxiety' thing I guess. Anyhow, I went and laid on the bed and took a few deep breaths and that seemed to make it go. Before that though I was ready to have to call the ambulance...I am such an idiot, but when I am caught up in that moment I find it hard to think straight. I will start the pills tomorrow night and am already stressing about it. Someone posted on here yesterday about the same drug and seeing spiders and it freaked me out. Anyhow, I don't have any chance but to what the psych said. He already told me at my last appointment not to delay taking the medication because we need to get things moving (which I have, but only by two days) because the kids are here.

Hope you guys have a good day and will talk soon. xx

Jem21
01-10-16, 11:10
Good morning ladies,
Tracy you did so well managing your panic attack, best thing to do I find is just lay down and let it pass so big well done you!! :-) I got my bloods and I'm b12 deficient so that will have been making me tired and breathless so I keep telling myself it's not depression it's that, and even if I had it I'm on an antidepressant so surely it would help that too, that's my mantra for the day! Had to take a diazepam this morning as the anxiety was high, didn't want to but my doc said its a low dose for the switch over and it's fine, my partner also told me to take it so I did, it only takes the edge of slightly but I really don't like doing it.

Debs I'm also one of the ones that wish I felt the benefit within a week, it's usually around 2 weeks before on the cit so I'm already panicking what if I don't feel better in 2 weeks on the duloxetine. Today is only day 4 though so I know I need to ride it a bit longer. I'm trying to keep busy, I got a hair colour yesterday as the grey is coming through and I'm starting to look like a skunk so I'm going to attempt that today, and we're out for dinner tonight for my dad's birthday. It's nice to have things to do but worried of how I'll be. You seem to be handling the switch great.

Chin up chicken pies we've got this in the bag! Xx

dale12345
01-10-16, 16:29
Hi Jemma! I'm 41 and have two kids (girl that is 10 and boy that is soon to be 9). I share custody of my children with my ex husband. I live with my partner (he has a son that is 15, but he doesn't live with us, we only have him every second weekend). I first got anxiety when I was 19, at that stage I didn't really know what it was and it went untreated for a long time, so I did start to feel helpless (I don't think that is 'real' depression as such), but I would just want to curl up in bed and not face the day. At times I guess it just all got a bit much. Once the medication started to kick in though, I was back to normal. I would try not to stress too much about depression if you can. I'm guessing if we had it we would definately know we had it and it is treatable in any case.

Hi Debs! Looks like it is all going well at the moment for you, just a waiting game now to wait for the dosage to kick in, which as we all know is a couple of weeks. I had a panic attack today, which really pi**ed me off. I just feel like I start to make a bit of progress and I get set back. I was watching 'The Jungle Book' with the kids and started to feel a bit dizzy. As soon as I have any 'off' feeling it sets off a panic attack because I worry that I will faint or have a seizure in front of the kids (that is my 'anxiety' thing I guess. Anyhow, I went and laid on the bed and took a few deep breaths and that seemed to make it go. Before that though I was ready to have to call the ambulance...I am such an idiot, but when I am caught up in that moment I find it hard to think straight. I will start the pills tomorrow night and am already stressing about it. Someone posted on here yesterday about the same drug and seeing spiders and it freaked me out. Anyhow, I don't have any chance but to what the psych said. He already told me at my last appointment not to delay taking the medication because we need to get things moving (which I have, but only by two days) because the kids are here.

Hope you guys have a good day and will talk soon. xx
You are doing great Tracy

Debs21uk
01-10-16, 21:16
Yes Jemma if you were depressed the antidepressant would work on that as well as the anxiety as the serotonin generated from it works on both disorders. Plus if you have depression you'd know, it's a very dark place to be.

I had a bit of a panic attack last night myself but I notice that I caused it. I hadn't had much to eat, my stomach felt sore so I started focusing on it then I felt the adrenaline surge but I managed to talk myself down. I don't think my mood with the hormones is helping, I'm feeling quite teary with that too.

In terms of side effects I'm still sleepy and a bit more anxious but hopefully it'll all pass soon.

Onwards and upwards girls!

Jem21
02-10-16, 09:32
Morning ladies, day 5 for me on the duloxetine and 6 days off the Citalopram! Yesterday was a weird one, had bad anxiety and nausea all day which got bad about 3pm, I felt so unwell that I went to lay down. Got up at tea time to go out for tea with my parents and I had no anxiety at all. The only way to explain how I felt last night was strange, I felt a bit spacey and also spent a lot of the evening checking how I felt and looking for the anxiety but it wasn't there, the nicest part was not having that horrible heavy ball of fear in my tummy which seems to sit there constantly. Woke up with a headache on the left side and between my eyes today and the anxiety is back! Slept through though and no dreams.

How are my 2 partners in crime today?
Tracy how are you feeling about starting your new med tonight?
Debs you seem to be hanging in there and staying strong, well done with the panic last night. It's like we check ourselves constantly for every thought and feeling and panic about it. I'll be glad when that one is gone!

Till later ladies, keep truckin' on xx

Mermaid16
02-10-16, 10:49
Hi Jem and Debs! I'm shitting myself about starting the new tablet. Especially taking it at night because I get scared of dying in my sleep...stupid I know. I did say to my partner though, at least I won't be awake to check every little thing that I feel. I'm sure I will be fine, probably a bit sleepy in the morning. I didn't get any drowsiness with Ven though (totally the opposite), so this may have the same effect. You guys are both doing so well on your meds, I'm such a pussy when I start new meds. That is really great Jem that the anxiety went when you were out for dinner. It's a bit all over the place when you start a new med and taper down from another one. I would find I would be fine one day and crap the next, but hadn't done anything different. Guess it is just our brains getting used to the changes. I just really hope the new pills work because I'm sick of taking so many. Oh well only time will tell. Will update how I went in the morning. Hope you both have a better day. Xx

dale12345
02-10-16, 23:51
Tracy you are doing great. i get that die in my sleep thing too. You are an strong great person.

Debs21uk
03-10-16, 03:25
You'll be fine Tracy starting up and the anticipation is horrible along with the waiting for things to work. I hope it goes well for you, if anything you might feel a bit yuk for a few days. I've been a bit more anxious the past couple of days so not sure if that's a bit of withdrawal or start up, it's only been 5 days. Think that's my mantra to get me through right now.

You did well going out for dinner with your anxiety Jem, I'm trying my best to try not to react to my anxiety so much but it's not easy. I'm not holding out much hope for this week due to Mother Nature being due so I'm always a nightmare with mood and anxiety. We'll see how it goes.

Stay strong ladies x

Mermaid16
03-10-16, 03:53
Hi Debs! I took my first pill last night. I was almost in tears before I went to bed. Woke with a panic at midnight and then about 3 in the morning and anxious when I woke up. I have been feeling okay today so far. Feel a tiny bit off, slight nausea and a bit of a headache, but that is about it. I turn into a crazy woman at 'that' time of the month, so I know how you feel. Usually very teary and cranky. Yes, I think the anxiety would probably be increased because of withdrawal and start up combined. Hopefully that should all clear up in the next week or so and you will be able to see how you go. Really hoping these pills do the job so I can get off all the other ones. Anxiety is a bitch, I will give it that...but it can only make us stronger I guess, that we have stood the test and survived. I downloaded an audio book from Claire Weekes, so might go have a lay down and listen to it. It is crap weather here today, pouring rain. We have a public holiday in Australia today for the Queens Birthday. Talk soon chickadees...xx Thinking of you both and hope we all continue to improve.

Jem21
03-10-16, 07:34
Morning ladies,
Debs I'm using the exact same mantra at the moment, I'm day 6 on the duloxetine and I keep saying ' your only on day whatever, bit more time yet!' It helps somewhat. I'm also doing loads of writing at the moment, I'm keeping like a diary in an A4 pad and I write on and off during the day between going for walks. Didn't take a diazepam yesterday so that's a positive.

Tracy, you've done the really hard part now and taken the first one so huge well done! Nausea has been a big one for me on these and never had that on the cit, although it's hard to know what's start up and what's withdrawal but they do list nausea as they top side effect on duloxetine so I'm guessing it's that!
Between 5 and 7 tend to be my worst times of the day, I'm up and down all day then have a really bad spell then I've had 2 calm evenings! I'm hoping it's the duloxetine starting to work but I know it's way to early for that.
Been keeping busyish though, went to watch my son play rugby yesterday morning, then my partner took me into town to buy me some earings, pottered around at home then went to parents for a BBQ last night. Everyone is back at work today so it's a day on my own.
My partner says he's seen an improvement in me the last week but I don't feel it though.

A few more weeks ladies and we will be here saying how fab we are feeling!! Xx

Debs21uk
03-10-16, 19:28
Lol you sound like me Jem, any day I don't use a diazepam is a good day. I'm still feeling the jitters today more so when I first wake up plus I always used to get this weird eyeball pressure/fluttering feeling from citalopram withdrawal so I'm guessing that's what that is. That and the hormonal hell coming over me and it's all just a joy! It is very early days for us ladies as we're all just getting through the side effect window just now. I keep a diary too just to keep track of symptoms and how I'm feeling which could probably be useful in the future if I need it.

I'm glad you got over the first hurdle Tracy, the start up anxiety is the worst but you did it. I manage to keep busy in the house but the anxiety is good at making me scared of going out. I'm going to have to try to get a grip on that but it's not easy when your brain is constantly telling you the worst. I think I'll need to take on board Dr Clare Weekes teachings and just go out and let the anxiety wash over me. So simple yet so difficult!

So I think the ven is making me sleep more still but apart from that not much else to report really. Need to take this week with a pinch of salt since the hormones will be making me an emotional wreck so if there are any benefits I don't think I'd see them.

One day at a time ladies! X

Jem21
04-10-16, 11:16
Morning lovely ladies, how are we today?
Debs, not sure what's withdrawal and what's start up but it's all crap just the same! Day 7 for me and still have the anxiety and nausea and yesterday I had to go back to bed at 11 and I slept till 3. The tiredness is ridiculous! I'm winding myself up a lot with it all which is causing some agitation and tension.
Tracy how are the new meds going? I hope you are staying strong and sticking with it!

Thinking of you all... Jemma xx

Debs21uk
04-10-16, 22:34
Lol very true Jem, it's all a pile of crap right now. I need to get my sleep sorted, its like day has turned into night, I'll need to do a few days of forced getting up to hopefully reprogramme things. I'm needing a lot more sleep on the ven, still hoping it'll wear off if it's side effects.

Hope you are both well, another day done!

Debs x

dale12345
05-10-16, 01:15
I think your all doing great!

Jem21
05-10-16, 10:42
Morning ladies, how's things?
Debs it's hard when your sleeping goes out of whack, I still have to get up at 7am to get my 12 year old up for school but I find I'm in bed asleep on a night for about half 9-10. I was a little better re tiredness yesterday! Today is day 8 for me, been for a review at doctors this morning, he gave me a b12 injection which he said should take about a week and he said I'm to stay on the 20mg for 4 weeks when I'm to go back for another review, where he will put me up to 30mg if needed. He said because I'm so sensitive to meds that's why he's started so low before moving up. At least I have a bit more of a plan in place now.
It's just a pain that these things take so long to work.

Tracy, how is it going Hun, are you doing ok on the new meds?

Thank you dale hope you are well.

Till tomorrow my lovelies, keep strong, keep going, we're getting there xx

Mermaid16
05-10-16, 12:00
Hi Guys! Gave up on the Dothiepin. After waking with panic attacks during the night and increase in anxiety during the day. I saw psych today and he said to stop taking it. The anti anxiety effect I should have been getting from the dose I was on, I told him I would persevere if he thought it would improve, but he said that most people get the drowsiness after the first dose. He has prescribed a small dose of an anti psychotic which I am not overly fussed about. We will see how it goes, I told him I will try a tiny dose and see how I go. I'm kind of thinking I would prefer to stay as is for a bit without adding too much else. You guys sound like you are both doing well...at least your sticking with it. I wish I wasn't so sentsitised to the meds I have been prescribed. Maybe if I have a bit of a break from trying different meds I might be in a better frame of mind. Good on ya girls!!! Keep up the good work xx

Debs21uk
05-10-16, 18:49
Aw Tracy your not having much luck at all just now. If you can manage then maybe a break is just what you need before you get started again. I tried a small dose of an anti-psychotic, quetiapine, but it just made me really drowsy and did nothing much else, hopefully you'll have better luck.

Jemma, I think part of the sleeping was just not wanting to face how awful I felt for a while. I did set an alarm today and made myself get up, tired or not. I do have chronic fatigue though so im sure the change of meds had an effect on that too. Im very teary today with the hormones so it's sapping any good the meds are having. How did I not know hormones affected serotonin at the grand old age of 36?!

I see the psych next Wednesday so not sure what will happen but I have the feeling I may have to go up the dose again but like you say Jemma it's only been 8 days so feeling crap might be partly disappointment I'm not doing cartwheels yet lol!

Take care ladies x

Jem21
06-10-16, 07:30
Good morning ladies, Debs I know what you mean about increasing dose, I'm only on day 9 and thinking that too... It may just be frustration that I'm not seeing anything yet but I keep telling myself to be realistic, I read through another thread yesterday about a guy on duloxetine and he didn't notice anything till day 16. I had a bit of a panic attack last night about my nose being blocked and not being able to breath through it properly, I knew it was stupid but it didn't help. I feel I keep telling myself the right things but it doesn't make me feel any better. Still on the hamster wheel.

Aww tracy keep strong, might be just the thing having a break in trying anything new for a while, sometimes you just need a break.

Thinking of you both.

Jemma xx

Mermaid16
06-10-16, 09:20
Hi Jem and Debs! You are both doing great. I think you will see results soon enough and it will all be worth it. Sucks that it takes the brain time to adjust. I have decided against the antipsychotic for the time being. I think there are other avenues to try or even try something different. To be honest though, I just want to have a week or two staying where I am. The anxiety is still there, but I find deep breathing for 10 minutes helps. I have also booked in to see a naturopath. I'm not expecting any miracles or anything, but I have read that anti depressants can deplete the body of natural minerals, so if nothing else it may give me a little bit more get up and go. My ex husbands wife goes to one, she also suffers from depression and anxiety and she said it has helped with her energy levels. I also signed up for an online 'well being' course. It was free, so I thought, why not. If nothing else it will distract me from my anxiety for a while and I may even learn some new skills. I am to go back to the psych on Monday, don't really know why I am bothering, I feel he is almost asking me for ideas now :lac: Just taking one day at a time and am hoping for the best. What else can you do. Have a great night girls. Love reading your posts and updates xx

Debs21uk
06-10-16, 20:28
Anything is worth a try Tracy, you've been very strong this far so I'm sure a couple of weeks break will be worth it. You are having a run of bad luck but that might be because you haven't had a chance to recover for the med before that that you tried.

Jemma we seem to be on the exact same day with the medication, I'm on day 9 too but I think because I did a switch I'm thinking it will kick in quicker but realistically I've got to get over the switch first. The one thing I can say is before this medication I felt completely hopeless and that's got a bit better, although I still feel awful I've managed to do half an hour exercise everyday where beforehand I sat on the couch feeling hopeless. They are little changes but they are a start.

I'm a hormonal whirlwind at the moment so emotionally I've no idea how the ven is affecting that as you girls know, the negative force overtakes you at this time of the month.

Keep going, we'll get there xxx

Jem21
07-10-16, 08:58
Hi ladies, I think we do become depleted Tracy so the neuropathy sounds like a good idea, I always try to eat healthy and drink plenty of water and sleep when I'm like this so any help will be a good thing for you, keep us posted how you are doing!

Debs, yes we seem to be on the same day, it's number 10 today. I'm also out walking every day even if it's only round the block, sometimes I go 2 or 3 times a day! The nausea seems to be easing a bit and I've not had a diazepam for about 4 days. Yesterday has been the best day I've had up now, still googled on and off but I drove over to my nana about half an hour away and stayed for a couple of hours, also went to my parents for tea as the boys were all at rugby training. I had a fairly calm day and a few positive thoughts. I think it's blocking the anxiety somewhat. I don't feel anywhere near back to normal or doing cartwheels as you like to say Debs lol but I'm hoping it's a start. Can see myself having to increase though. Got a poorly boy today and it's raining here so we've got the duvet on the sofa watching Peter Pan.

Thinking of you both and stay strong my lovelies. Xx

Mermaid16
07-10-16, 09:29
Thanks guys for your encouraging words. You are both doing well and are pushing yourselves to get out and about and help yourselves rather than just waiting for the meds to work. I have decided to get a second opinion, especially on the use of the antipsychotics, so have booked into to see a different psych at a different centre that specialises in anxiety disorders. I can't get in till the week after next, but have said to my mum, at least I will know I'm doing the right thing and if she thinks that is also the way to proceed then I will accept that. I wish I could sleep Jem, with this anxiety, my mind just won't shut down. It drives me mental. I do try and rest in any case, even if I lay there and listen to the birds outside or something. It's all got to help bring my brain from that anxious state. I really need to start doing some exercise too, but am usually buggered by the time I get home. Might go for a walk on the treadmill tomorrow. Keep up the good work guys xx

Jem21
07-10-16, 10:22
Tracy when I'm anxious in bed and trying to sleep I also do the Clare weeks thing I breath in for 4 then I think float when I breath of for 6 takes a few minutes but usually helps, in through nose out through mouth. I really like the floating thing. I've read a couple of her books and they have helped me a lot x

Mermaid16
07-10-16, 11:14
Hi Jem! So do you breath in (counting in your head to four), then say the word 'float' in your head, the breath out and count to six. Do you know the name of the book at all please? I downloaded one of her books from kindle (audio book). It was a little old fashioned, but the information in it was relevant. I think it was called 'Freedom from nervous suffering'. Thanks Jem xx

Jem21
07-10-16, 13:30
The one I found the best was called self help for your nerves, she pretty much covers everything in there, tell you why it happens and also tells you how to manage it.
When I breath out I tend to think 'float 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and expand my belly and rib cage and imagine I'm floating. Sounds bizarre but I like it, I also find because I'm counting and focusing on floating I'm not overthinking. Give it a try. Xx

Debs21uk
07-10-16, 21:08
Hi ladies,

I use an app called Headspace, it's mindfulness. The first ten days are free then there is a subscription but I feel it helps me so I feel it's like an investment for my brain. Not feeling too great today but think that's the hormones at play, my serotonin will be taking a hit again. Think I'll need to go up the dose too Jemma as I'm not where I want to be but I'll see what psych says next week.

Tracy, the antipsychotic did nothing for me but made me feel like a zombie. It didn't help my anxiety, if anything it made me feel more detached from myself. I know it works well for some people but we're all different.

Have a nice weekend x

Jem21
08-10-16, 10:22
Morning ladies, well after my slightly better day on Wednesday what a nightmare yesterday turned out to be. Was very tired and flat yesterday and as the day went on I worked myself into a proper state about it and wound up having to take a diazepam at 6pm. Back to full on anxiety and feeling pants today! I just can't make sense of it all and I keep trying constantly. It's getting me down at the moment. I just want to sleep. Had the vivid dreams again last night which haven't been there for quite a few days, was also quite teary yesterday as well..

Debs you seem to be hanging in there and doing well, go girl. Hope you are also well Tracy and you tried the floating.

Jemma x

Debs21uk
08-10-16, 21:16
Aw Jemma sorry to hear that, it's maybe just a flare up but like we are always saying to ourselves it's very early days we'll have another few weeks of ups and downs before we get there.

I'm not feeling great today at all, hormones, so I could sit and cry if I could be bothered but I can't even be bothered doing that lol. I've got aches and pains in my stomach and I'm feeling more anxious. It's a bit of a blah day for me.

Tracy how are you feeling? X

Mermaid16
08-10-16, 22:49
Hi Debs and Jem! Had a really bad day yesterday, anxiety is really bad again. Even this morning woke at 4.30am and have been unable to get back to sleep. To make matters worse, I think I am going through tolerance withdrawal from the diazepam. I haven't increased the dose at all though. I am quite annoyed, as when the doc put me on it 3 times daily, I said I didn't want to take it as I was scared of addiction. So now on top of my anxiety that already isn't being treated, I have that on top, which is very difficult to deal with. I have the GP appointment this morning to get the referral to the new psych. I'm hoping that she will be able to suggest a way out of this, as at the moment I feel trapped and stuck. I don't want to take the anti psychotics, but I may have to so I can get through this. In saying that, I don't want to do anything until I see the new doctor. The anti psychotic he has prescribed is Respiradol and I have read some quite nasty things about it, including tardive dyskinsia...so I do not want to take it. I think I would rather stay on Valium and increase the dose if I had to choose. In any case, it will be a week away before I can see the other psych.

You are making good progress. Xx

dale12345
08-10-16, 23:08
What dose are you on of the Respiradol ? I ask because lower doses dont usually cause those problems.

Mermaid16
08-10-16, 23:20
Hi Beth :bighug1: I haven't taken it yet, but he said .5mg to start or I could halve it and take .25mg. Have you tried it before? How are you going today?xx

dale12345
08-10-16, 23:30
Yes when I was younger, I was on a very low dose didnt get any of those side effects.
But thats just me.

Jem21
09-10-16, 11:50
Morning ladies, so after my bad start yesterday turned out OK, made myself walk into the village square to get my God daughter a card to go with her presents as it was her 18th birthday yesterday. I then went round to my best friends to give my god daughter her presents and wound up staying a couple of hours. Came home and cooked the lads tea as they were all at rugby then I got ready and we all went to her birthday party. We only stayed till 11 as my youngest had football this morning. Today has been ok, took the little one to football and got the boys breakfast on the way home.
I've gone from anxiety to a feeling of not quite rightness if that makes sense? I feel like I could tip into the anxiety at any point but I don't. Can't say I feel happy or excited though. So while I feel I have made some progress in certainly not shaking my Pom poms so to speak lol. Only day 12 on 20mg so I guess that's not bad. Can still see me having to increase though.

Tracy sounds like a bit of a pickle but glad you are getting a new pdoc. I think it's important to have a plan in place that you feel OK with and hopefully this new person will give you that. I think it has to be someone you believe in. Sounds like you are hanging in there though. Big hugs!

Debs, you also sound like you are managing, I know what it's feels like with the can't be bothered to cry sometimes letting it all out in a good cry is a good thing though, I know it helps me. Also big hugs!

Stay strong ladies. Xx

Debs21uk
09-10-16, 22:58
Hey Jem and Tracy,

Tracy when I was put on the anti-psychotic it was more of an add on to the citalopram I was on, I didn't get any side effects apart from feeling like a zombie with tiredness. It may work for you, you never know. I really wasn't happy and wanted to go back to basics with an ssri or snri but it's that roulette again on whether they will work.

I'm still hormonal as ever, was hoping the worst would be over by now but it's not to be. See the psych on weds so will see what she says next.

Hope you both feel better tomorrow x

Jem21
10-10-16, 11:49
Morning ladies, how are we today?
Well I'm day 13 on the 20mg duloxetine and done a full 2 weeks off the Cymbalta. Think most of the side effects are wearing off now, nausea very minimal, drowsy tired feeling pretty much gone. Still having some tummy problems but I'm sure they will get less. It's managing the anxiety really well touch wood. Having some headaches and neck pain but think that's a problem with my jaw so I'm off to dentist on Wednesday! Had a couple of spells of agitation yesterday but they passed. So while I wouldn't say I was back to normal I do think I'm improving as time passes. I'm going back to work tomorrow as I think the distraction will help fingers crossed.

Hope you well Debs and Tracy xx

Debs21uk
11-10-16, 23:24
Hi ladies,

Not been feeling great the past couple of days due to the hormones running wild. Hopefully from tomorrow I'll be over the worst of it. I've go psych in the afternoon so I'll see how she feels things should progress. There has been small improvements but nowhere near where I want to be or where I was before. You have to start somewhere though!

Great news Jemma on getting back to work, I'm still a bit off that yet.

Tracy how are you? Hope things are settling down for you.

Debs x

Jem21
12-10-16, 07:31
Hi ladies, hormones are a pain in the butt so I'm glad you should be over that soon Debs, let me know what your pdoc says! You seem to be hanging in there! It's still only day 15 for us which I keep reminding myself off as its like I expect more!

I managed work ok, it was a bit up and down but better than sat at home all day on my own. I took the boys to rugby training last night and it was the closest to normal I've felt up to now, back to feeling a bit anxious this morning though but I'll push through.

Hope you're ok Tracy, thinking of you x

Debs21uk
12-10-16, 17:04
Hey,

Well back from my pdoc and the verdict is I've to stay on my current dose for another two weeks then go up slightly, we are going very slow since I had such yo yo problems with the citalopram dosage. As I said I'm nowhere near where I want to be but there has been little glimmers of hope so she was pleasantly surprised as with the cross taper she was really just hoping I could tolerate the ven okay at this stage. She did say 2 weeks is still very early for full results to be seen so we're right Jemma in reassuring ourselves it's early days. She also thinks the tiredness is not likely to be the ven as its actually more activating than sedating so it's probably just my chronic fatigue and depressive symptoms that haven't lifted yet.

Glad you managed okay at work Jem, that's a good positive step forward.

I'm coming through the worst of the hormones, a bit emotional still but need to remember my serotonin will take a while to rise again. Who'd be a woman eh?!

Thinking about you Tracy.

Keep going girls, better days are coming xxx

Mermaid16
13-10-16, 01:04
Hi Guys! Just typed out this big long reply and the computer froze...grrr. Anyhow, am doing better today (can always tell when I'm feeling shit, because I won't post on here). You guys are doing really well. Will write again later. Hopefully in 12months we all look back and think...oh I remember this time last year I was feeling like shit, so glad that has passed and I am back on track. Fingers crossed xx

dale12345
13-10-16, 01:35
Hi Guys! Just typed out this big long reply and the computer froze...grrr. Anyhow, am doing better today (can always tell when I'm feeling shit, because I won't post on here). You guys are doing really well. Will write again later. Hopefully in 12months we all look back and think...oh I remember this time last year I was feeling like shit, so glad that has passed and I am back on track. Fingers crossed xx

I have them crossed for you!!!!

Debs21uk
13-10-16, 22:50
Oh I hope so Tracy! It's been a roller coaster 6 months for me and I'm not through it yet. I suppose I have the added problem of depression with the anxiety so today I had the jitters and was really low so had a few tears to go with it. I blame the hormones still!

Thanks dale for popping in with your reassurance x

Mermaid16
14-10-16, 04:04
Nawww. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you Debs. You kind of have to take it day by day with this, as there are good days and then not so good days even though you may do the same thing everyday with little change.

Jem21
14-10-16, 07:41
Hey ladies it's up and down Debs to start with then the ups stay for longer. I also did that yesterday Tracy, I typed this big reply on my phone and then my mum phoned me and I lost it all lol. I've reached kind of a steady state, most of the side effects have passed, still have a bit of a dodgy tummy and I've started jaw clenching which is quite annoying. A lot of the main anxiety has gone but my brain still won't stop and I certainly don't feel right is the best way to explain it. I'm back at docs next week and I can see him increasing me. I'm certainly coping better than I was so ill accept that for now as I'm only on 20mg which from what I've read isn't even the starting dose really. Most people seem to start on 30mg and go to 60mg which I believe is the therapeutic dose. Work is helping to pass the days. My team all know so if I want to pop outside for 10 minutes it's not a problem.

Keep going ladies, we WILL all get there xx

Debs21uk
14-10-16, 23:11
Hi ladies,

I know it's all ups and downs but it's the down days that stick a bit more. I was having a bit of a think about being on the ven and yes I do hope it brings me out of this depression and anxiety but being 35 now I haven't had any kids and I've read being on an ssri is a safer option. I'm hoping I don't have to go up too high a dose of the ven so I can cross taper onto something else for this reason. It's something I'm concerned about as time is cracking on if I want a family! X

Jem21
15-10-16, 09:06
Hey Debs, it's hard when there are more down days than up but soon the up days become much more frequent. It's great that you are thinking something positive as having children. One of my close Friends just had her first child at 41 so there is still plenty of time yet Hun. Did you mention this to your pdoc when you were there this week, once you are back to yourself it will be easier to decide on the best course of action with your meds. I came off mine when I had my son but I was in a good place to do that, I went back on them when he was about 3 months old. Xx

Mermaid16
15-10-16, 09:17
Hi ladies,

I know it's all ups and downs but it's the down days that stick a bit more. I was having a bit of a think about being on the ven and yes I do hope it brings me out of this depression and anxiety but being 35 now I haven't had any kids and I've read being on an ssri is a safer option. I'm hoping I don't have to go up too high a dose of the ven so I can cross taper onto something else for this reason. It's something I'm concerned about as time is cracking on if I want a family! X

Hi Debs, as Jem said, you still have time to have a family. I was 31 when I had Sophie and 33 when I had Remy. When I got pregnant with Sophie I was still taking Zoloft, the GP told me to stop them, which I did cold turkey (I didn't know any different) and then I saw a psych after a few months of feeling shit and he told me to go back on, so I went through withdrawal and start up. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy m first pregnancy. With Remy, I stayed on the Zoloft through the whole pregnancy. Both my kids were born without and physical or psychological problems.

I think for now you should concentrate on getting over this little hurdle, with changing the meds etc and then when you are back on your feet, you can do some research etc and speak with your doctor and decide on a future plan. But don't worry about running out of time, as you have a good few years to be having some little munchkins. Although I must say, I do cringe when I see 60 year old women having children. I guess we are all different and what isn't right for me might be right for someone else. I just wouldn't have the energy at ripe old age of 60.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow Debs. Every day is a step closer to feeling better.

Jem, you sound like you are powering on. Hopefully because you are feeling stable at this dose, the updose won't cause you too many problems.

Thinking of your both and love the updates. xx

Debs21uk
15-10-16, 20:39
Well ladies, I think I've made a bit of a decision with regards to this. I didn't speak to my pdoc about it as I felt it was early days but it's been playing on my mind along with some problems I'm having on the ven. She said its the depression that's making you sleep so much but having looked back in my diary, from the minute I started the ven I was comatose, I can easily sleep 12-14hrs every night which is becoming a big problem. I was depressed before these meds and never slept that much! I have read it can be highly sedating in some people.

We did have a back up plan which was escitalopram so I'm thinking I may give this a shot as I have no life with the amount of sleep im needing. Now I know what people mean when they say they can't tolerate a certain drug. I see my GP on Tuesday so I'll see what she says but I think this could be a harder taper than the last due to effexors tough withdrawals.

Hope you are both keeping well x

Jem21
15-10-16, 23:02
Hey ladies, are you sure the sleeping isn't a side effect which will pass with a little more time Debs? I had exactly the same up until a few days ago, some days I slept all night and needed a nap in the morning and again in the afternoon, it's eased off now but I'm on a really low dose of the duloxetine so may have passed quicker. We've not quite done 3 weeks yet so might just need a bit more time to settle. Your doc may have some answers. Citalopram did the same to me for the first month when I was on that. It's so hard to know what to do sometimes. Sometimes during the day I'm thinking I really need to up slightly, then an hour later I think I should stay at this dose for longer.

Things are ticking over for me, work has helped and I've made myself keep busy. Got some jaw clenching going on which is a bit of a nightmare as I already had problems with my jaw as my dentist said my bite was out of alignment so the jaw clenching is making that worse and causing some wicked headaches and face pain. I'm back at dentist next week to have some moulds taken off my mouth so he can fix my alignment. I wouldn't say I feel depressed just a bit flat. Anxiety is doing well though on this dose.

Tracy you seem to be sounding a little brighter :-)

Keep strong girls xx

Debs21uk
17-10-16, 01:13
Well ladies it looks like I'm having to give up the ven, not only have I been sleeping ridiculously long but my blood pressure is dropping and I'm fainting near enough every time I get up to stand. I can't walk far, I can't drive and to top it off my hair is coming out in clumps! I'm going to have to speak to the dr tomorrow about the back up plan of escitalopram because I can't keep going with this one.

Oh well back to the drawing board!

Hope you are both doing well x

Mermaid16
17-10-16, 01:29
Hi Debs...I am sorry it isn't working out for you. Better to make the change now though instead of persisting and then going through a worse withdrawal if you go up doses. Hope everything goes well for you. If you are fainting every time you stand you can't really continue with it. Keep us updated on your progress. Thinking of you and hope everything works out well. xx

Jem21
17-10-16, 07:46
Aww Debs, sorry you are going through all this. They are some nasty side effects Hun and I doubt anyone would be able to put up with those. As Tracy said best to find out and switch now before you've built the dose up. Let us know what the doctor says. Thinking of you xx

Debs21uk
17-10-16, 20:11
I suppose it's just part of the process to find something that works. Spoke to the dr so I've to start a cross taper from tonight onto escitalopram so it's going to be at least a couple of weeks on the first stage then all being well completely switch to the escitalopram.

Was wondering if you ladies wanted to keep in touch more directly, we might be on different meds but it's good to hear from you both and to give each other a boost. I'm really grateful you've both been here for me through all this x

Mermaid16
18-10-16, 05:16
Hi Debs! Good luck with the swap. I think it is the best decision to swap given the side effects and that you want to start a family. I hope you don't have too many problems with the change over. Hopefully because it's only been a few weeks, it will be an easy transition. I'm happy to stay in contact what ever way, I would like to stay in touch with you and Jem and see how you are going.

Hi Jem! Sounds like you are getting on well. You are lucky you don't have much anxiety, my anxiety level decreased after I started taking the new medication, but then I got panic attacks instead. I went back to the psych yesterday and he gave me a time table of when to take the meds through out the day, as I was kind of taking all the night time meds at the same time, and all the morning meds at the same time. So he gave me different times to take them so they are spaced over the day more. With regards to feeling flat, even people without our illnesses have those, I think we just notice more every little thing that we feel. I think that's one way you can tell when you're 'back to normal' as such, because you're not constantly trying to check how you feel.

Oh well, another day to look forward to tomorrow. Hope you guys have a good night. Onwards and upwards xx

Jem21
18-10-16, 07:43
Good morning ladies,
Debs, I've got everything crossed that you will have a smooth taper and that these new meds are the right ones. I know sometimes you have a try a few to find the right one so I'm sure these will do the trick. I'm also happy to stay in contact any way, you have both been such a massive help to me and the support has been fantastic. I don't think it matters that were all on different meds!

Tracy, sounds like a plan with spacing the tablets out and hopefully that will give you some relief. It's all trial and error babe.
Yesterday was a bit all over the place, the jaw clenching is driving me up the wall and as you've said Tracy we notice every single thing so I'm totally fixated on it. I already had problems with my bite which my dentist is working on but this is a whole new level. I think I've reached a plateau with the 20mg, they have helped in that the anxiety isn't nearly as bad as it was but my mind is still on the hamster wheel (as I like to call it) going round and round on the same things! I'm at doctors on Thursday morning for my review and I'll have done just over 3 weeks so I can see an increase coming my way!

Right, I have to leave for work in 20 mins and I'm still sat in my pjs and I have a hungry 12 year old nagging at me lol.

Speak later chicken pies xx

Debs21uk
18-10-16, 23:50
Hi ladies,

Looks like the ven diaries are changing to the escitalopram diaries! I don't know why but I feel a lot more comfortable with this decision and if I could send you a picture I would of my hair loss. I gathered the top layer of hair I've lost in the past few days and I swear it looks like half my hair has fallen out. I've taken the dose down the past two days introducing the Escit so I've got two weeks before I can hopefully do the next part of the taper, I just hope my thoughts don't deteriorate in the process.

I hope your jaw clenching eases off Jemma, I did that for a while for no apparent reason! It's good to know your anxiety has been helped a bit by the meds that's a great sign. Do let us know how your dr appointment goes.

Tracy, you're so right that we are tuned into everything, that's the problem with anxiety, we're on the lookout for problems before they have even surfaced. Having thought about how this all started with this other dr messing my dosage I often wonder whether things would have settled down and have come through with the citalopram as I'm definitely not as depressed as what I was but the anxiety is out of control now.

I've sent you both a pm about keeping in touch as it looks like the ven diaries are redundant lol.

Speak soon xxx

Jem21
19-10-16, 07:45
Gooooooood morning ladies,
Debs if you feel more comfortable switching then it's the right thing to do. You have to do what feels right and you can't go on with your hair falling out. Just stay strong through the switch and I'm sure it will go smoothly. Tracy how are you doing Hun?

This jaw clenching is a bit of a bugger, anxiety isn't too bad but I still can't get off the hamster wheel. I'll see what doc says tomorrow. The other half wants me to wait a couple more weeks before I increase but I keep telling him that he's a mechanic not a doctor lol.

Debs I've just seen your pm so I'll reply so we can sort the 'debs, Tracy and Jem diaries' sounds like a film... Or a horror movie lol. Xx

Mermaid16
19-10-16, 08:39
Hi Guys! Had a shocker of a night last night. I think I got some derealisation or whatever it's called while I was in the shop having a panic attack. Just wanted to escape (I even accidently stole a loaf of bread because I was in such a rush to get out of there. The panic continued when I got home. I was convinced my tongue was swollen and I was having allergic reaction to something. Frantically asked my partner to take me to the hospital. He checked my tongue (normal), but I think it was because of the derealisation, took my temperature and blood pressure and then told me to take some deep breaths. Then it was all over. So today I have been researching derealisation and feel much more able to cope with it. No panic attack today thank goodness. Jem do you find you get tired when you get home from work? I feel shattered the minute I walk in the door. Just praying these tablets do the trick. It's been a week today, so I'm hoping in another week I will have longer stretches with feeling better. I'm determined to give these ones a good go because I can tolerate them better than the others I've tried, although still have a long way to go. I think you should do what you feel right with upping the dose Jem. Bless our partners that have to put up with us, the poor buggers. Well I guess I should get some chores done. Hope all goes well with the change Debs. We just have to keep on keeping on. Till next time xx

Debs21uk
19-10-16, 21:39
Oh Tracy I know depersonalisation and derealisation extremely well. When I was first ill and I was consumed by anxiety it consumed my life. It was absolutely terrifying and I thought I was fading away into oblivion. I'm sure I've got a book somewhere on it that was useful, I'll try to find out what it's called for you. I do still get it but I think because I am so used to it now it's not as terrifying as it once was. I wish I had the same attitude towards panic attacks!

Jemma my hamster wheel is still churning too but I can't expect it to stop when I'm in the midst of a cross taper. Lol yeah tell the hubby to stick to engines.

I've added you both on Facebook so once we're all linked up I'll set up a wee group chat for us all to keep in touch.

Keep trucking on girls X

Jem21
20-10-16, 09:15
Morning ladies, how are you both today?
Tracy that sounded like a bad one but you came through it, I think we always need to remember that it passes. Yes I'm shattered when I get it from work, I seem to start struggling about 4pm. I have an hours drive to and from work but I actually don't mind as I put some relaxing music on and use it as my thinking time. It's all motorway and I quite enjoy that time. I find I'm in bed by ten and often asleep not long after. What are you on now Tracy?

Debs keep positive, your only just starting your taper so you know anything that happens at the moment is either withdrawal or side effects. Couple of weeks and fingers crossed you should start noticing some positives.

I'm at doctors in an hour for my review. I keep changing my mind on whether I think I should increase. The 20mg duloxetine has taken away a lot of the physical symptoms so it's nice not to be agitated and have all those horrible feelings but I'm still doing all the things I was before like noticing every thought and feeling and I'm stuck on the same loop of thinking about if the tablets are making my bite alignment problem worse and they are causing the clenching. I guess I'll just dump it all on my doctor and let him decide.

I'll update you both afterwards.

Till later gorgeous ladies (I know you're both gorgeous as I've seen your pics on Facebook lol) xx

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

Update: the doctor has put me up to 30mg from 20mg, he said most people are on 60mg but he doesnt want to up the dose to quickly so I'm to stay on the 30 for another 3 1/2 weeks then go back for a review. Bit nervous incase I get the increased anxiety and tiredness back but nothing ventured nothing gained I guess. Xx

Debs21uk
20-10-16, 21:02
Right back at you beautiful lady! I've started the fbk chat so I'll keep you guys posted on there x