PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of potentially having keratoconus

Jordan85
17-09-16, 12:54
Hey there,

I have a huge phobia of medical procedures of any kind, even referrals which sends my anxiety into overdrive. Here's my story for the last year since Jan:

Jan 2016

- Developed health anxiety over low frequency hum in ears
- Googled possible causes and panicked, then decided to look out for any red flag symptoms like double vision

Feb 2016

- Visited opticians after thinking I was seeing double vision. I now know I was seeing ghosting on white text on dark backgrounds (like the iPhone lock screen)
- Updated prescription, got told I had mild astigmastim

March - August 2016

- Developed anxiety about my vision for which I've been to the opticians 4 times in that space to check the ghosting again, peripheral vision tests etc

Sept 2016 - today

- Made my last visit to the opticians 3 weeks ago to see about little blue/silvery spots in my vision that I noticed when blinking sometimes for about 20 mins (not occular migraine to my knowledge as I had one earlier this year)
- Ghosting has worsened in the last 4 days

Now I feel like I'm developing keratoconus. I just think the opticians may have missed that a few weeks ago as they did the initial puff tests, focus on the picture in the eye camera thing and they checked my retinas.

If that is true I'm now scared stiff at the thought of what's in store for me in terms of cross-linking procedures, possible surgeries, referrals - I'm just all worked up now.

Does anyone here have it? I only notice the ghosting at night on digital/high contrast screens and it seems to have stepped up in the last week. I'm scared it's the sign of something progressing. I've been taking eye drops, remembering to blink - no improvement whatsoever.

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

I should mention, the ghosting is much better without my glasses but it was never this bad with glasses on.

hanshan
17-09-16, 13:15
I had to Google this one, as I had never heard of keratoconus.

Nevertheless, it seem that there is no cure. The chance that you actually have it is extremely low. But if you did, anxiety is useless. You will deal with it.

NancyW
17-09-16, 13:17
2 questions. ..

How do you know what keratoconus is and are you medically trained to diagnose yourself with it?

Why are you going to an optician and not an Opthamologist?

Jordan85
17-09-16, 14:00
Thanks folks for the responses, I'm certainly not medically trained to diagnose it, it seems like the only likely outcome from the symptoms I'm experiencing but yes - I'll need to speak to my GP and get an appointment with an opthamologist (which I'm scared of doing as it's being referred with the chance of surgical procedures and what not) :(