PDA

View Full Version : I can't eat or drink

brokenarrow
17-09-16, 17:19
Well about a week and a half ago I was have crippling anxiety over stomach pains. I was convinced I was going to have to have surgery or something along them lines. I went to urgent care and they checked me all out and told me I was fine basically. They gave me some anti-anxiety medicine but that was all they could really do for me. Since these feelings of stomach issues though food just hasn't looked at all good to me. I haven't been actually hungry in atleast a week. Nor have I been thirsty. I've been basically forcing myself to drink and choking it down but I'm having a lot harder time with eating. I have HORRIBLE social anxiety and I am afraid of crowds and I've barely been able to go to work. I left early last night due to a horrible panic attack where I was sure I was going to throw up because I ate a half of a slice of pizza. I came home and calmed down and I had no real issues after that and I even got a really good night sleep. I woke up with dry mouth and decided to go get myself some apple juice. I've been kinda forcing it down but now I have the stomach pains and everything again. I know my issue is food related because I feel basically fine until I try to force myself to eat something. Also I know that because I haven't really eaten in so long my stomach is probably very constricted and anything I put in it is going to be a shock. My knees are weak and I shake horribly and I feel like the world is ending. All I ever really want to do is sleep. I went like 2 weeks with out sleeping when I first started having these attacks. Then after I went to urgent care and they told me I was ok it calmed me down enough to get some sleep and now it seems like thats all I ever really want to do. I guess that is because I feel no pain or worry or anything when I am sleeping. I tried to set something up with a therapist but it is the weekend and I don't think she will be back in the office until Monday.

Mojo61
17-09-16, 19:49
I know it sounds crazy, but try baby food (the type in the jar) I basically existed on this stuff when my anxiety was at its worst. Like you I completely lost my appetite and my need for water so I would eat baby food from the jar, a dinner and a pudding - I liked the really bland ones like chicken and veg, and then I would have a jar of the baby egg custard or something. I couldn't face anything else but gradually my appetite came back and yours will too once the anxiety settles. When you are super anxious your body sends a message to your brain saying no food or drink is needed because you might have to run from a lion and all the energy goes to the large muscles in your legs and away from your digestive system. Try little bits of cheese, a tiny piece of scrambled egg, a small glass of warm milk, just a tiny taste to start with and build up from there xxx

Buster70
17-09-16, 20:29
Hi , I've been in this situation where I couldn't and didn't want to eat or drink I lost a couple of stone in a matter of weeks and just didn't have any appetite , keep a water bottle handy and keep taking small sips it all adds up and keeps you hydrated , any food at this time is good so all the things you should avoid normally just have some if you can again just little and often you can sort out your diet later when you feel stronger mentally and physically , being hungry and thirsty will just make you more anxous , it will pass and you will enjoy food and life again it just takes time , take care