PDA

View Full Version : Life doesn't excite me anymore

serendipity1996
18-09-16, 01:36
Hello everyone,

I've always been a worrywart, however, over the past year and particularly over the past couple of months my anxiety has been greatly exacerbated to the point where I feel it's having a negative impact (and quite a significant one) on my quality of life. I started having panic attacks a few months ago for the first time in my life and since then I would say my anxiety has worsened. I have body dysmorphic disorder so already spend a great deal of time worrying about my appearance although it seems to be episodic but alongside this suffer from general anxiety, and it also seems likely that I have some form of health anxiety too. I'm constantly anxious that one day my body will spontaneously decide to just 'give up' and I will suffer multiple organ failure or something similarly drastic. Currently I am paranoid about hearing damage given I have very mild tinnitus.

I'm honestly at the point where I am quite apathetic about life overall. I wouldn't say I am clinically depressed or have suicidal thoughts but I feel numb when I think about the decades I have ahead of me...and I am only 20 so life is only just beginning. It seems like such a struggle to plough on when every day I have what seems like a tonne of worry to wake up to every day. I can't remember the last time I felt totally carefree and happy. I would love to wake up one day and live unburdened of any worry, and just live in the moment. I feel so worn down by anxiety already...what will it be like ten years from now.

I finally managed to pluck up the courage to visit my GP about my anxiety a few weeks ago but honestly didn't feel any better for it. He actually seemed quite dismissive so I am feeling pretty demoralised although I have been sent a link to online counselling/CBT.

Can anyone else relate? Just want to know that I'm not alone...

hanshan
18-09-16, 10:55
Hi Serendipity,

You are not alone.

Follow every avenue. If you have a chance of CBT, take it up.

If you felt the previous doctor was dismissive, find another one. The right medication may be able to help you, but it doesn't have to be a lifelong thing. Good luck.

mezzaninedoor
20-09-16, 12:17
You are definitely not alone. You will find lots of other folks with similar challenges to you on this forum.

I agree with Serendipity, find a different GP, your Mental Health dialogue with your GP is key and CBT can be good at dealing with warped thinking, if you can access CBT then go for it and see if it is for you