PDA

View Full Version : Work related anxiety

Faith1992
18-09-16, 15:47
Hey guys,

I'm new here. I'm just wondering if any of you have suffered with work related anxiety and stress before?

Just a bit of background on the job first: I got a new job about 7 months ago after moving to a new area (my SO is in the military so we have moved quite a bit) and at first it seemed fine, it's within the sector I have always worked in so nothing really took me by surprise. It's in manufacturing so naturally it is fast paced and can be stressful. I noticed that my director can be quite mean (on my second week there he had one girl in tears) so alarm bells were ringing. So instead of being someone to look up to for advice and guidance he's basically really scary and shouts/swears at people regularly and I'm scared when he asks me to do things because I've got no idea what he's talking about but he expects me to know. My line manager isn't much different to be honest. The office is small, only like 10 people there at one time but they are very cliquey and haven't even invited me out with them once. Whereas in my last job I made loads of friends straight away.

Anyway I feel like I can't talk to anyone, the girls at work just talk over me and don't involve me. Also even though I'm still in the training phase my manager often loses patience with me which leads to mistakes which make things worse. Work is generally making me feel really anxious to the point where I dread every morning going in incase I had made a mistake the previous day.

I have started now to lose sleep, I'm over eating and have lost interest in exercising which I'm sure is making things worse.

I am in a high state of anxiety all the time at work including pains in my chest and when the weekend does finally arrive I'm too burned out to even want to do anything.

The people there are cold and not inviting at all. Such a contrast from my old job where everyone was friendly and helpful. This place is the kind of place where people will drop you in it to get themselves off the hook because they are scared of the director, instead of working together as a team. There is a lot of blaming and back stabbing.

I think I'm feeling more anxious because I really thought I'd make friends through work and that would help me settle but I haven't and worse still I hate every working day. The worst part about it, it's the role I'm doing is quite complex and involves a lot of responsibility yet the wage is pitiful!

My self worth and self esteem is rock bottom but I have managed to job interview for next week (which is good but has created even more anxiety by panicking about having to hand my notice in at this job!)

Sorry for the long story but my question is, has anyone else felt like this? Did you simply move to a different job altogether or did you stick at it and it got better?

I don't want to be a job hopper and I know deep down no one likes working but I feel like it's not normal to be in such a high state of anxiety over a job, 5 days out of 7!

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :hugs:

Hopeful30
18-09-16, 18:03
Hello

I have been in a similar situation a few times and it is deeply unpleasant.

I actually walked away from the jobs because I believe that life is too short to be that unhappy at work. It sounds like you are good at your job - but you are now in a situation with a bad group of people. Is there an option to leave asap? Could you hand your notice in straight away and explain that it isn't a good fit? Then spend your time searching for something else should the interview not work out? The whole point of probation is for both parties to see if it works. I know it's easier said than done, but please don't make yourself ill over this :( I hope things improve for you

PunkyFish
18-09-16, 19:28
Hey guys,

I'm new here. I'm just wondering if any of you have suffered with work related anxiety and stress before?

Just a bit of background on the job first: I got a new job about 7 months ago after moving to a new area (my SO is in the military so we have moved quite a bit) and at first it seemed fine, it's within the sector I have always worked in so nothing really took me by surprise. It's in manufacturing so naturally it is fast paced and can be stressful. I noticed that my director can be quite mean (on my second week there he had one girl in tears) so alarm bells were ringing. So instead of being someone to look up to for advice and guidance he's basically really scary and shouts/swears at people regularly and I'm scared when he asks me to do things because I've got no idea what he's talking about but he expects me to know. My line manager isn't much different to be honest. The office is small, only like 10 people there at one time but they are very cliquey and haven't even invited me out with them once. Whereas in my last job I made loads of friends straight away.

Anyway I feel like I can't talk to anyone, the girls at work just talk over me and don't involve me. Also even though I'm still in the training phase my manager often loses patience with me which leads to mistakes which make things worse. Work is generally making me feel really anxious to the point where I dread every morning going in incase I had made a mistake the previous day.

I have started now to lose sleep, I'm over eating and have lost interest in exercising which I'm sure is making things worse.

I am in a high state of anxiety all the time at work including pains in my chest and when the weekend does finally arrive I'm too burned out to even want to do anything.

The people there are cold and not inviting at all. Such a contrast from my old job where everyone was friendly and helpful. This place is the kind of place where people will drop you in it to get themselves off the hook because they are scared of the director, instead of working together as a team. There is a lot of blaming and back stabbing.

I think I'm feeling more anxious because I really thought I'd make friends through work and that would help me settle but I haven't and worse still I hate every working day. The worst part about it, it's the role I'm doing is quite complex and involves a lot of responsibility yet the wage is pitiful!

My self worth and self esteem is rock bottom but I have managed to job interview for next week (which is good but has created even more anxiety by panicking about having to hand my notice in at this job!)

Sorry for the long story but my question is, has anyone else felt like this? Did you simply move to a different job altogether or did you stick at it and it got better?

I don't want to be a job hopper and I know deep down no one likes working but I feel like it's not normal to be in such a high state of anxiety over a job, 5 days out of 7!

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :hugs:

Hi :)

I could of actually written this out myself. I'm in an office job and work 5 days a week. My job at first was ok but it's got to the point where I bloody hate it and the wage is rubbish as well. I also dislike many of the people I work with and I always feel people are talking about me behind my back. My work place is also the sort of place where people stab you in the back and will blame each other for mistakes which happen. On time's it reminds me of being back in school.

I'm currently off work at the moment with anxiety, although I'm due to go back in two weeks time which I'm dreading. I've been applying for every job under the sun! but no interviews as of yet! I also have got to a point where I dread going into work in the morning and feel that my workplace is stressing me out. I find that when I get stressed out I get chest pains, however I do deep breathing which help's to calm me down a bit.

It's horrible when you're in a job which make's you feel anxious and uncomfortable in the workplace. However the good thing about being in a job you hate is that you can eventually change jobs and hopefully go into something new and more comfortable for youself. Well done on getting the interview. The first thing you need to do is to go to the interview and see how you get on and if you like the place and then take everything from there. Try to stop worrying about giving in your notice at this stage! I do agree with you that deep down most people don't enjoy working. However I also feel that life is to short to be suffering in a rubbish job where there are other jobs out there. If the job is really making you feel bad then I would carry on looking for jobs until the right job comes along.

Good luck for your interview. I'm sure you will do fine! :)

Faith1992
18-09-16, 20:03
Hopeful30 - I do think that you are right to walk away from jobs that make you unhappy. Specially if they are poor paying. It really does make you feel like you're worthless which in my experience has lead to self esteem problems which has lead to anxiety and other mental health issues. I hope you feel better soon. :)

Punkyfish - you sound just like me! Are you my twin? Haha. People seem to believe that if you leave jobs then you have got a bad attitude. But I have sat myself down and considered of it was my attitude and is there anything I can do to improve my job? Answer is nothing...I had a chat with my manager about it all and how stressed I am and the fact that I feel no one likes me which is hard to bare because I've got not friends in this area and my SO is constantly away. He is sympathetic for all of about 10 minutes until he's laying into me again about something I have or haven't done.

I think I'm comparing it to my old job. My old job was awesome, don't get me wrong I wasn't jumping for joy on Monday morning, management were a pain and it did get stressful but the people I worked with were amazing and so supporting that if I had a bad day, it didn't matter as I was always cheered up by the people. It was less stressful, less responsibility and I was on more money! So I know for real that it IS possible to actually like where you work AND like the people AND not waking up everyday feeling anxious.

I hope you feel better soon too. I do believe life is too short of you don't like the job it's probably best to leave. I have been off with stress a long time ago and. Know that feeling when your sick note is expiring! Can't you go back to the doctor to get it extended? I hope you secure an interview very soon :hugs:

PunkyFish
18-09-16, 23:27
Hopeful30 - I do think that you are right to walk away from jobs that make you unhappy. Specially if they are poor paying. It really does make you feel like you're worthless which in my experience has lead to self esteem problems which has lead to anxiety and other mental health issues. I hope you feel better soon. :)

Punkyfish - you sound just like me! Are you my twin? Haha. People seem to believe that if you leave jobs then you have got a bad attitude. But I have sat myself down and considered of it was my attitude and is there anything I can do to improve my job? Answer is nothing...I had a chat with my manager about it all and how stressed I am and the fact that I feel no one likes me which is hard to bare because I've got not friends in this area and my SO is constantly away. He is sympathetic for all of about 10 minutes until he's laying into me again about something I have or haven't done.

I think I'm comparing it to my old job. My old job was awesome, don't get me wrong I wasn't jumping for joy on Monday morning, management were a pain and it did get stressful but the people I worked with were amazing and so supporting that if I had a bad day, it didn't matter as I was always cheered up by the people. It was less stressful, less responsibility and I was on more money! So I know for real that it IS possible to actually like where you work AND like the people AND not waking up everyday feeling anxious.

I hope you feel better soon too. I do believe life is too short of you don't like the job it's probably best to leave. I have been off with stress a long time ago and. Know that feeling when your sick note is expiring! Can't you go back to the doctor to get it extended? I hope you secure an interview very soon :hugs:

Thank's for the kind words. :D

CleoD
21-09-16, 19:17
hi there,
I had to send you a note as have been in this place so many times.. luckily not really the colleagues I worked with but the stress of the job itself and had no work life balance and a boss that expected 24/7 on call contact!! ... firstly there is a tablet called phenergan which is an antihistamine.. comes in 10mg or 25mg.. and 10mg is plenty and this will help you sleep take it about 30 minutes before bed time and you also wake up feeling calm.. its also non addictive and available over the counter.. if if you dont sleep everything seems worse.. secondly from the sound of it I would hand in your notice and then interview during your notice period.. if you know you are going you will be in a much better frame of mind.. x no job is worth feeling so anxious.. I finally left my job about 6 months ago and feel like Im in a much better place... you did well in your previous job its the company not you xo big hugs