PDA

View Full Version : Happy on meds.

Happy heart
19-09-16, 06:45
Hi, I'm new to taking medication. I've been prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg for chronic anxiety and PTSD and after 3 weeks on, I can honestly say that life has become a wonderful revelation! There are a couple of minor hiccups such as a huge appetite and slight fluid retention but other than that life is finally looking ok. I find myself comparing situations pre med and on med. A concern is, does life immediately appear awful once you stop medication? It has taken 10 years of almost constant anxiety and some counseling before I asked for medication and - like a true anxiety person- I'm concerned about life taking a downward spiral again once I stop the meds. I see these tablets as a break from feeling so crap about life and don't intend to spend a lifetime on them. In the meantime though, I'm feeling good!
Happy heart.

flipp
19-09-16, 08:25
Hi Happy heart.:D.
Welcome,pleased to hear another person doing well on mirtz as I am. I got the munchies when I first started but soon disciplined myself too not eat junk food.
Hope you enjoy the site.

Karina x.:D.

DoraFlora
31-10-16, 19:58
Hi Happy Heart,

I am in the same boat where it took many years of various degrees of depression and more reccently anxiety before I gave myself permission to try meds (something I had been an advocate of for others for years)
So, first, congratulations for making a tough decision for yourself.

Don't anticipate (if you can!) a future that doesn't exist yet!

At first I said to myself, "I'll just take these meds for 3 months"- but why? The fear or stigma of being reliant on them perhaps. But I am trying to not put that pressure on myself. Why do we need to give ourselves a deadline on these medications?
We should embrace the good they are doing.
AND doing the hard work (CBT, ACT, meditation, etc) to try and support our minds while they are having a bit of a rest on these meds.
So WHEN the time comes that we want to try coming off them, we have a foundation of things to help keep us up.

So while I don't intend to spend a lifetime on meds either, I am trying to treat myself with kindness and patience. I also don't intend to spend my life with debilitating anxiety, so while the meds are aiding in that quest I will embrace them.

Hope you stay well!

-Dora

SLA
31-10-16, 20:15
Great story to hear.

As DoraFlora says, use this time where you are positive and energetic to further strengthen your mindset. Lots of reading, and focussing on positive developments in your life.

Be the best "you" you can be!

dale12345
31-10-16, 22:28
Glad u r feeling better.

Bike Rider
05-11-16, 09:25
Just take your time and let the meds continue to work. They help ease your mind, whilst you have to change your mind, so keep taking them and do your own repair thing.

I have a friend who has been on them (Fluox) for over 20 yrs and he is fit and healthy, so dont worry about taking them for as long as necessary.